Re: Breast pain 18 months after lumpectomy

It did not make any noticable differance to me after nearly 4 weeks off it. It is a really good medication (so i am told) so i have started taking it again and getting pain management. 

Community Champion

Alibobs

So good to hear that you are feeling much better and that things are improving. It is lovely when you suddenly realise Yes I have got there and the "fog" lifts. 

Where are you going in Greece?  We always used to go to Corfu and stay in Roda, beautiful little town, it is my favourite.

Helena xxx

Just read my previous post again and I feel a little bad about myself. I must have been having a real bad day!! I'm feeling much better in myself now 34 days since end of rads!! Skin has calmed right down and my scars are looking better. Pains have subsided and just random twinges now. Best of all I feel much brighter and today, even though it's snowing, we have booked a week away in Greece for June. Looking forwards not backwards now. Hope you are all ok ladies.💗💗

Hi, I'm not complaining, because really after reading all the post from you other lovely ladies, I feel SO LUCKY. I'm interested in the pain thing,  related to Letrozone.  Prior to my cancer diagnosis I had some pain in my hands. I now have it in my right hip and move like a 90 year old. I'm relatively fit  (walking daily, 2 spin classes and 2 body balance classes -all at a low level I hasten to add). My hands are becoming increasingly  sore too. Can anyone advise if stopping Letrozole has had any noticeable improvement in the pain. 

I to am now 2years since having lumpectomy and had my 2nd mammogramme on 7th, I still suffer from some breast pain and also rib pain from radiotherapy, it sometimes seems never-ending .

It is 2 years next month since my surgery, I still get slight pain in my breast unless i knock it or lie on it then it hurts like hell, My problems are with the side effects of the Letrazole. They have taken me off it for a month to see if it is that that is causing me so much joint and muscle pain. Been off it nearlly 3 weeks and my hands are a little better but legs and hips still keeping me awake as are the hot flushes. I can not believe i am still in pain after nearlly 2 years. Smiley Sad xxx 

Finished my rads just over 3 weeks ago and all has been fine until 3 days ago!, I have had stabbing pains in the WLE area. Taking ibuprofen but doesn't seem to help.  Tried soaking in warm bath too but no change. I'm quite despondent reading these posts am I going to suffer with this forever now? I feel so down this week. I too was very fit and full of life before this bolt from the blue hit me!!! I've aged about 20 years!! Feel like there is no quality to my life now. Can't drink alcohol. Can't go far from a toilet. Cant even sleep on my stomach which is my preferred position. Hot sweats hitting every night now! Moved out of marital bedroom so hubby can sleep. Constant nipple pain.  Can't eat anything nice because it's bad for me!! Ashamed of my breast scar it's so ugly! Can't seem to raise a smile and I don't want to see or speak to anyone! Sorry to sound ungrateful and I know I have been lucky as it was caught early but there has to be more to life than this!!

I finished my rads just over 3 weeks ago and all has been fine until 3 days ago!, I have had stabbing pains in the WLE area. Taking ibuprofen but doesn't seem to help.  Tried soaking in warm bath too but no change. I'm quite despondent reading these posts am I going to suffer with this forever now? I feel so down this week. I too was very fit and full of life before this bolt from the blue hit me!!! I've aged about 20 years!! Feel like there is no quality to my life now. Can't drink alcohol. Can't go far from a toilet. Cant even sleep on my stomach which is my preferred position. Hot sweats hitting every night now! Moved out of marital bedroom so hubby can sleep. Constant nipple pain.  Can't eat anything nice because it's bad for me!! Ashamed of my breast scar it's so ugly! Can't seem to raise a smile and I don't want to see or speak to anyone! Sorry to sound ungrateful and I know I have been lucky as it was caught early but there has to be more to life than this!!

Highlighted

Hi Kelly M I put on the post above you. I am exactly the same and the worst thing is nobody told us it would be like this. I can't get to sleep at night for the pain and clutch my breast all night long to support it xxx
BHH

But for the gym sessions and the bravissimo bra I could have written your post - even the timeline is almost identical.
I’m also finding that the emotional impact is only just starting to kick in, which I’m finding really hard to deal with.

I had a lumpectomy it'll be a year in April did radiation and boosts time now for the annual check very scared and nervous. I have. All the same symptoms as  everyone else I take gabapentin letrozole ty

Hi there everyone I definitely wanted to pass on my prayers to all of you. And after reading Squib's last post, I was compelled to write just to say, I felt like I wrote your posting. Every single feeling and situation is what I am going through. I find it very hard to turn my brain off.

I've been in pain since the start of radiotherapy. I had quite alot of fluid and just took nurofen when it was bad but got so used to being in pain. It'd wake me up at night and when I got up I had to hold my breast as the pain would go into the armpit. 10 months after lumpectomy I went breast cancer haven and had an aromatherapy massage on breast as well and my pain decreased by 60% after 2 days. I still get sharp pains and get told it's normal. TO have life without pain would be great but am happy I have my life. I do hope anyone who is suffering with pain - it goes away.

Hi, I had lumpectomy and removal of ancillary lymph glands plus radiotherapy 2 years ago. The first year I didn't suffer at all, but have been in a lot of pain for a full year ( now year 2)  I wondered if it was nerve damage? I also suffer from M.E and Fibromyalgia so I don't know what is causing what pain. My recent mammogram was fine, thank heavens. I don't get much sleep at night, I wake up with breast pain which is pretty bad but don't suffer too much through the day. As you ladies know as soon as you lie down, especially if you are well endowed the weight falls to the side. I usually wake up clutching and supporting my boob. I'm so glad it's not only me as I thought I was going mad!

@KellyMwrote:
Does anyone still suffer pain so long after a lumpectomy. I am really really sore over the breast where the lump was removed. I had my check up with the surgeon in July of this year (1 year after surgery) and she said this was normal, and may be fluid. But it is agony when I lie down, sometimes I wear a bra at night to support my breast. Would welcome any thoughts anyone may have. Believe it or not I'm scared to go to docs, in case it starts all over again. Can't believe I'm thinking like that, because all the way through they told me that I had gone to my docs early and my grade 3 cancer hadn't spread to lymph nodes. Since then Ive been telling everyone else to go and get checked. Don't get scared get checked, just like the poster. Now i'm doing it!!!

Hi all, I'm the same nearly 3 years! Not had a decent nights sleep since the op and radiotherapy, I rate sports brars they don't give you a good shape but are really comfy for the day and sleeping in, iv had the bamboo ones but if your fuller in the bust not so good. I have throbbing pain under my arm and thr scar on my bust is uncomfortable at times. I have night sweats and have moved in another bedroom🙁 I have joint pain every morning but once showered and on the move it eases, I have severe pain in my shoulder joint on the side of the treatment. I'm 60 and was really active and ran my own businesses but gave it up last year due to feeling really tiered which was a really really sad day for me.

I have just had some disscumfort and swelling under my breast phoned my breast nurse (Jane) who is amazing she said go your doctors in she would get me an appointment for this week (today) I got in the doctors they gave me antibiotics????? 500mg 8 yes 8 times a day 4000mg felt so ill and thought it was rather high the dose! Got more tablets 250mg twice a day!!! The pain and swelling has gone now so have cancelled my appointment for today? 

We are the stronger sex and are expected too get on with the normal things as before.

Think the breast team at Aintree hospital and Warrington are worth there weigh in gold.

I send you all big hugs 

Hi All

I am getting really fed up with pain, my breast is still very sore and even my other breast hurts (it will be 2 years in April since my surgery) I have underarm pain where lymph nodes were removed, i have a patch on my back that is permenant pins and needles, i am having all the side effects from the Letrazole ... very bad joint pain and flushes and now I am having pain in my outer thighs and can not sleep for the pain. I am nearlly 62 and feel 90, before the cancer i classed myself as quite fit and did not feel anywhere near my age. Smiley Sad 

My GP said i should take Naproxen but i hate taking strong painkillers as they just cause more problems (stomach pain and even internal bleeding) he did say he would also give me Omeprazole so i counteracts the Naproxen but i really do not want to take tablets every day. Is it just me or is there anyone who agrees with me. I hate taking tablets long term especially pain killers..... Smiley Sad   

Community Champion

Hi Squib - I still have sore ribs and boob almost 3 years on.- think radiotherapy is largely responsible .If you are struggling with moving on / anxiety may be worth discussing CBT with GP or booking onto BCC moving on course or seeing what your local cancer charity can offer in terms of counselling .Its very common to feel anxious about the cancer coming back and it's only really after treatment has ended and things settle down that your brain begins to process what has happened and you can struggle mentally .Theres a section of the forum about dealing with fear and anxiety - quite a few of us struggle with anxiety .As far as other boob tenderness is concerned if it worries -get it checked out and put your mind at rest -if it is something, ignoring it won't make it go away if it's nothing to worry about then your mind will be put at rest .Im sure GPs understand that any changes/ symptoms will cause anxiety to someone who has had breast cancer .All the best .Jill.

I agree, friends and family do treat you like you’ve had a bug but it’s all better now so carry on as before. It’s not quite that easy to do I’ve found. I’m still suffering with fatigue even if I don’t do anything. I’m struggling to get off to sleep most nights and find myself worrying about the cancer returning all the time. It’s 14 months since my op. It was a grade 3 oestrogen positive but thankfully caught at stage 1.

My husbands attitude is get on with it, you could get run over by a bus tomorrow and has actually said I’ve got more chance of dying than you with all the driving I do, the risk of me being in a RTA is much higher than you have of dying with cancer. He has a fair point but it doesn’t stop my anxiety at night. 

Hi, I’m still getting pain in certain spots in my breast, not necessarily where the original tumour was removed 14 months ago. When I saw the oncologist a year after treatment, she said it was most likely the surgery or the radiation that’s causing it but didn’t give me any indication how long it might last. She did say I was still retaining some fluid in that breast and advised me to wear a bra at night to help improve the discomfort. I do this occasionally but find I get sore under the breast when I wear a bra 24/7. The skin under my affected breast is also still very discoloured following radiation treatment. 

I’m now also getting tenderness in my other breast and feeling panicky about the cancer returning. The sore area is right on the edge of my breast by my sternum bone so I’m thinking what if there is cancer and it wasnt picked up on the mammogram because it’s on the sternum/rib rather than in the breast tissue?

I can’t hug anyone as both breasts are now sore. My dog tries to stand on my chest to say hi but I have to push her off. I had a check mammogram in November 1year post treatment which said no signs of cancer and was clear, this helped reduce my anxiety for a while but now I can’t sleep most nights, worrying over my other breast tenderness. I’m exhausted. Everyone assumes I’m all better now including my husband but they don’t see me awake with worry. I don’t want to be one of those people who attends their GP all the time needlessly so I keep putting it off, especially as they are soooo busy. I’m also scared about having to go through it all again. I wish someone could turn off my brain so I can sleep. 

CMR

I had a lumpectomy and sentinel lobe removal (4 - all clear) in October 2016, followed by Radiotherapy which finished at the end of December 2016. I developed cording after and had about 10 sessions of physio but even now I am very tender around the breast area and under my arm.  It has improved though, albeit slowly, and I was recently actually able to lie on my front with the aid of a pillow underneath me for the first time since the operation. If you have a Helen Rollason Centre near you, I can recommend them. They are fantastic for doing massages, reflexology, counselling or just someone to talk to - anything to get you through the side-effects and worry!