Re: Abdominal swelling after surgery - has anyone else had this?

Nette, thank you so much for that - I'll certainly get it checked out.  Did they do anything to reduce the seroma?  I'm afraid that I've turned a bit psycho since my diagnosis and was fairly sure my bulge was either pancreatic or peritoneal cancer tumours.  Sigh.  I think paranoid hyperchondriac is a pretty good label for me right now!  

So, any treatment, or have they just said that it will go on its own eventually?

Thanks again,

Anna xx

Hi Beeny,
I had I mx with immediate reconstruction last June. I have what the surgeon called a bulge and I have it in writting as fat and muscle. I have recently had a CT scan and guess what they found. A seroma. A pocket of fluid. This is very common after an operations tgat is why they fit drains, but no one consider this when looking at the bulge. There are a lot of very red faces from my surgeon to breast nurse to gp.
I is worth asking the question.
Hope this helps.
Nette x

so glad it's not just me!!!!  I had my mx last December and unless I wear my prosthesis I look pregnant - not a good look LOL x

Hi, thank you for responding. I didn't have recon, and don't bother to wear my prosthesis much either, but my big hard upper tummy still protrudes further than my E/F cup boobs!  It's handy to rest things on, I guess!

Hi Beeny,

May I ask if you had reconstruction after your mx? I had my mastectomy last December - no recon -  and since then, my stomach on mx side looks like I'm pregnant too.  As I'm 62, this would be impossible and I'm very definitely post menopausal.  I'd put it down to the fact that now the boob has gone, I can see this side of my stomach - but not the other, where I still have a boob. I don't tend to wear my prosthesis in my bra, but have noticed that when I do, my tummy disappears just like the non-mx side. I have very skinny legs and arms, but this huge stomach bulging out!!! Of course, I could just be obese in that area. Woman Frustrated

best wishes

poemsgalore xx

Abdominal swelling after surgery - has anyone else had this?

Hi, I had my mastectomy in April, and ever since the op I've had upper abdominal swelling.  It's like I'm 8 months pregnant!  I'm not tiny but I've never had such a big upper tummy!  I've lost nearly a stone since the op, and have been going to the gym three times a week.  I've lost 2 inches off each thigh and can't keep my trousers up, but my upper tummy just stays distended.

Has anyone else had this?  My GP doesn't seem bothered, and my BCN says it will 'probably go away'.  I'm 48 and apparently not peri-menopausal.  Any ideas?

Thanks people, and I hope you're all doing ok.