Re: waiting for radiotherapy to start

Hello JannyB, / Ellajo , big warm welcome . good to hear that your radiotherapy sessions are due to start in the next few weeks

My planning date has been confirmed for next Tues in oxford so I will know when the treatment commences as they will give me dates to attend.

Good luck everybody- keep us updated xx 😘

Hi mavit1
I'm new to the site. I had my 10th Oct just waiting for my follow up. I too was told by BCN possibly 15 sessions. I will also have mine at Oxford. Hope all goes well for you l will follow your posts.

Big hello to everybody x

Hi all, I had my planning CT scan, tattoos and talk with the radiographer yesterday. I am having 15 sessions starting on 7 November. 40 minute drive to the hospital. Having got the WLE lumpectomy over with and just about recovered from that it is now on to the next part of treatment. Thinking about all you other ladies going through this just now 

hi Mavit I know what you mean I am glad that I will soon be starting the last stage and I will let you know how things are going.  Fezzy xxx

Hi Fezzy
I had my last surgery in August however they wait at least 8 weeks before undertake Rads. They need to make sure that I am well enough and can raise my arm above my head which I can now do but need to keep working on strengthening it .

Hopefully the planning appt will come through in the next 2 weeks then 2 weeks later start my Rads .
I’m not looking forward to it but I’m glad this is the last stage of my treatment.
Good luck on your Rads - let me know how you get on x

hi Mavit.  I have just had my planning appointment today, I have got to have 20 sessions as well, was hoping that radiotherapy would start within days but I have got to wait until 31st October it seems that it is normal to have to wait 2 weeks after planning , my journey takes about 25 mins each way and my first appointment is 9.20 in the morning so going to be a busy commute, must say your wait does seem excessive, I thought mine was long enough at 3 months from surgery.  Best wishes to you,         Fezzy

Afternoon ladies

I have recently returned from oncology to discuss radiotherapy arrangements and have been told I need 20 sessions ( 4 weeks)

I was a bit surprised as my BCN originally thought it would be 3 weeks.

I will need to go to Oxford Hospital for treatment which is about an hour away . Oncologist said they would be looking to commence my treatment sometime in November, probably mid month and that I would receive a follow up appt for my planning date in the next 2-3 weeks in oxford

I am a bit disappointed it is not sooner . It’s looks likely that I won’t finish my Rads until Xmas week.

I cannot believe that 2018 has been a write off for me , Investigations started in February and it’s going to late December treatment should be finished . Will have a follow up appt in the New Year with oncologist and them back for another mammogram May 2019

Hope you are all doing ok 👌 x

Great news xxxx
Everything is so much better once you have your dates and an idea of what you are working towards.
I was a mess of snot and tears at my planning day but in the end it was all upset and stress over nothing. Not that rads is nothing, i just mean I wasted a lot of energy stressing when i didn't need to.
All the self care I needed to know during rads I got from this forum.
I got all my dates at my planning session and they started 2 weeks later. So hopefully you will be starting before the end of the month.
😊🦋😊

Just got my planning date today which is the 17th October, so hopefully be starting rads before end of October, got to have 20 sessions.

Dear Lilacmoon good luck with your therapy sounds interesting, Anastrozole seems to be frying my head, feel very fuzzy when I wake in the morning xx

no date yet I should hopefully find out on Monday, keeping fingers crossed it won't be too long to wait, just want it over now, I feel as if I am in limbo, I am sure once I know I will feel better , Fezzy xx

By date, I meant for rads, or will you find that out next week? 🌻🌼🌻

Hi Fezzy xxx yep, all good here. 12 weeks since the end of rads and although still some stuff going on with boob settling down, no ongoing problems of note.
I had my final appointment with the BCN team last week and Im now looking to start a HOPE course early Nov. Just a 6 week group theraphy to sort the old gray matter out.
Any news on a confirmed date??
🦄😊🦄

Thank you Lilacmoon I have bought some Aveena moisturizer cream in readiness just hope it won't be too long before rads start, hope you are doing ok xx

Dear Fezzy, just catching up on the forum and wanted to see how you were getting along. So glad to hear that you have a date and things are starting to move along.
Get drinking heaps of water and stock up on the moisturiser!!!
🦋🦋🦋

hi Zellah the guidelines are 31 days after surgery for radiotherapy but most surgeons like to wait until you are fully healed before starting radiotherapy. I am seeing the oncologist on 1st October which will be nearly 10 weeks since surgery for wle and sentinel node biopsy so it might be 12 weeks post op before I even start rads. hopefully you won't have to wait this long, as I do know that it varies greatly depending on where you live.  Fezzy x

Can you tell me what the guide lines are for waiting for radiotherapy, I thought it is up to 31 days after surgery?  

Hi Fezzy
I had same opp as you 6weeks ago. All clear cancer was 4mm but pre-cancerous made up to 4cm. Snb clear.
Had infection week after opp had to take antibiotics I feel fine now but still got part pinky/ red area but it's not bothering me.
Ready to get on with last leg of treatment now.
Susan x

hi Susan like you I am hoping to be through the radiotherapy by Christmas so I hope the planning won't be too long after seeing the oncologist, considering I have had to wait nearly 10 weeks since my wle and sentinel node biopsy to see the oncologist but I do now feel happier that things are progressing, hope all goes well for you on the 2nd x

Hi Fezzy 1952

Glad things are progressing for you. I had my appointment with oncologist 7th Sept and have my planning on 2nd Oct seems a long time between though. I have a seroma that's going down think they wanted to give me time.

I asked if there was any detriment to short delay be for starting radiotherapy and he said no it's fine within a timescale they work to. I'm not going to worry I was hoping to be done for my 61st on Oct 20th but as long as all done before Xmas that's ok.

Susan x