cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment through Christmas week

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Treatment through Christmas week

All the best to you too Kathyx! I have had 4 treatments so far and it's all been fine with lots of mincepies and choccies in the dept!

I start properly tomorrow and will have Christmas Day and New Years Day off so added at the end of the treatment. That means that I have no week with more than 4 days' treatment (today is a dry run) which I feel can only be a good thing.

Good luck to all,or, as we say here "Bon courage!".

Yes, I've had my first weekend break and it's been really enjoyable simply not going to hospital!

My radiotherapy started mid December last year so I had breaks for both Christmas and New Year. Treatment wise I was told it wasn't a problem and frankly, it was nice to have a break from visiting the hospital every day! 

Community Champion

Narniagirl

That is the beauty of this forum, you are never alone and there is always someone to help and support you xxx

That's good to know, thanks for your message ladybowler. What a lot of caring people there are on here. Wishing you all the best x

Community Champion

NarniaGirl

I had radiotherapy in 2016 over the Christmas period, I too like you was concerned because it meant that I would go 4 days without as there was the weekend and then Xmas Day/Boxing Day, then the following weekend plus New Years Day.  I told my team that I was worried about the length of the gap however they assured me that there was nothing to worry about.  I had 20 sessions which I started on 20 December and it meant that I didnt finish until 19 January.

Helena xx

Hi Sunflower, thanks for replying to this 'newbie' on the forum! Blooming nuisance having to be treated over Christmas isn't it - I have a treatment Christmas Eve too! It all feels rather surreal to me, but then when I get to the centre there's loads of others of us in the same boat, usually some quite chatty and that helps to spur me on. Wishing you all the best. I was told to splosh on the cream from the start, not wait to see if there's any skin reactions, and drink plenty - which Janie123 has just reminded me to go and do (water, not a Christmas tipple!) 

Oo thanks for replying Janie! Good reminder about drinking water, I forgot today but it does help! Sorry you're on here too, but nice to say hello! I started last week and it's all been fine so far so I hope it goes well for you too. At least there's loads of Christmas choccies around the clinics this time of year! 

Hi,

i started radiotherapy last Wednesday and I will also be having treatment over Christmas/New Year. A total of 20sessions.

Im not having treatment on Xmas day or Boxing Day but I am on Xmas eve.

i also have a couple of Saturdays thrown in as well -so the Saturday between Xmas and new year and then the Saturday after new year.

Im sure your team have worked out the best plan for you x

hi NarniaGirl

Welcome to the Forum although I am sorry that you find yourself on here, and I wish you lots of luck with your treatment.

I, too, am having radiotherapy during the Christmas period, and I have been reassured that the breaks will make no difference to the effectiveness of the treatment. Ladybowler, who is a frequent contributor, will reassure you too, I am sure, as she experienced this one Christmas too.

I have read that to counteract fatigue we should aim to drink two litres of water a day, and I am going to try to do a daily walk, as exercise is also supposed to be effective against fatigue.

I start my radiotherapy on Tuesday. 

WIth best wishes
Jane 

Treatment through Christmas week

Hi! I am new to this forum so please do reply someone somewhere! My radiotherapy continues through Christmas week. I am a bit concerned about all the breaks to treatment in addition to the weekend breaks and wondering whether this is a problem or something I should not worry about. On the one hand, it's really nice having days off treatment, but only if it's safe. Some people are given extra treatments on Saturdays to make up for the bank holidays, but maybe breaks are good to allow the body to recover? I am also wondering how tired I will feel at Christmas!