Re: September 2018 Radiotherapy

All nail biting stuff in that final episode - never guessed the bent copper once - and a great twist at the end. I did have to keep going over it and checking I had understood the whole thing about 10 times with hubby to check I had all the threads correct - good stuff - certainly distracted me from the week ahead. 

Pearly start tomorrow- good luck to everyone for this week x

Community Champion

Wombat

I am truly exhausted got it totally wrong, was on the edge of my seat.  What an amazing finale

So all you Bodyguard watchers - what did you think of the final episode 😳😊.......

Hope you all had restful weekends and I wanted to say good luck for tomorrow ladies... one more step towards those lovely bells....
Maggie x

👍🍫

Good morning everyone,

it's the weekend!  I am definitely planning on eating some chocolate.

7/15

Hello ladies !!!

Happy weekend everyone.... 7 down !!

Anxious sole I am doing ok - just having SEs that I dont know if they are from the Rads or the Anastrozole... I am hoping that this weekend may make it all a little clearer

Here’s hoping you all have a relaxing 2 days xxx

Week 1 complete 🎉5/20

Redness has calmed down , not used the Aloe Vera so don’t know whether it was that 🤷🏻‍♀️

Looking forward to a restful weekend- enjoy yours everyone xx

Community Champion

Bibi

I remmeber when I was having mine I was using both E45 and Aloe Vera, my team told me to stop using the aloe vera and instead keep my E45 in the fridge as it work in exactly the same way in cooling the breast xx

Good morning everyone,

Bibi, yes, get those appointments moved if you can. I was advised not to use aloe vera due to the drying effect and just using diprobase cream which seems to be working well at the present time. Not quite knowing what is causing the redness must be a concern, I hope you're taking your temperature if it may be an infection. My fingers and toes are still crossed for you.

Maggie, lovely to hear from you and by the sounds of it you're off to a sunny holiday soon....Smiley Happy

DamselGreen, I can understand your concern regarding the sun, I remember desperately wanting to get away for a couple of days with a friend and then the heat wave arrived and I didn't go in the end as I thought I'd be consumed with worry about the sun. After chemo my skin feels like plastic.

How is everyone coping with the sun? I really struggled with the heat waves, I have learnt that chemo can affect the sweat glands and when I am sweating my skin goes prickly. 

Wombat woo - you okay?

It is Friday, I have a 2.15pm appointment, a friend is taking me in today and hopefully we will do something nice before or after. Physically I seem to be doing okay at the present time, emotionally I am having a few wobbles.

All the best to those heading in today Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone- thanks for the kind thoughts - the redness and heat  is worse after I have had rads and then it calms down. I spoke to a nurse as well as radiographer today - they said it shouldn’t really be the rads but it could be that my skin is just very sensitive or possibly an infection but we are waiting to see how it goes tonight and maybe see doc tomorrow if it happens again. She also advised me not to use Aloe Vera - she said although it cools it’s not very moisturising and maybe I was having a reaction to something in that. I have been  using Aveeno during and since chemo - have only used the Aloe Vera when its been red and hot - seems to be highly recommended by lots of people but am going to give it a miss and see if it helps. 

Jealous of your short journeys- we had another epic tonight - half an hour to do a mile at one point tonight 🙄

I have asked them to please give me earlier appointments next week so🤞for me ladies.

PJ’s and fire on for a cosy night now . 

Have a good evening xxxx

Hi ladies,

Great to read your progress, only one more day this week and you can all recharge over the weekend.

Like Green damsel I only had a short drive to the hospital, but my Radiographer said the fatigue is due to our ‘immune systems diverting attention’ to heal the radiioed cells, he also said it’s normal to be tired which I found very reassuring.

I’d planned lots of lovely things in for this week, and have enjoyed everything, and also felt very tired as a result. Guess I overestimated how quickly my energy would return.

I’m a little pinker than I was when I finished treatments- again normal I’m told. Still moisturising and hydrating plenty.

We going to Spain in 10 days (until Xmas) and I’m going to stay covered up I think, I got lots of advice from the rads guys when they found out.

Anxiou-soul I’ve used Sainsbury’s online for years and they’ve been great. I’ve got friends who rate Asda, Tesco & ocado too.

Wombat hope you’re feeling better

Bibi, hope your redness has eased & sorry to read you need 20 sessions.

Have a lovely evening

Maggie x

Hello ladies, 

Well the redness disappeared by the time I went to bed and no sign of it today so maybe just a little over reaction on my part.  I am fortunate I only have a 10-15 minute drive to treatment, traffic allowing, but parking is a nightmare so we need to leave plenty time although this week my husband has been dropping me off and I go in while he looks for a space.  However I get to drive next week (6 weeks post surgery) so will be driving myself (he’s been lovely but I need my independence).  

My appointments are all early morning and today I went into town afterwards, met people from work for lunch, got my eyebrows done for the first time since they grew back and had two haircuts!  My regrowth got a trim and tidy up when I went in to see my hairdresser as she’s about to go on mat leave and she wanted  to know how I was doing. Then my wig also got a bit of a trim while I picked out a new one, it’s done well but it’s had a lot of wear and I need a new style. 

Waiting on the fatigue to kick in but hoping it’s like chemo where it never really materialised until the very end. Desperately want to look at a holiday at the end of the year but wary about too much sun etc, although I’ve been a factor 50 user for years as I do a lot of outdoor activities. Will wait until rads are over before making any decisions.

Hope everyone is coping with all the things that treatment throws at us, amazing how resilient we can be.

Good morning everyone

Bibi and GreenDamsel I do hope your redness settles.

Yesterday, no delays with treatment. I was lucky though as in the morning the hospital had a power cut. Smiley Happy

For transport, I relied on the ambulance service which has volunteers who use their own cars to take me. Due to the high winds we took the rural route which made the journey longer. We picked up 2 patients on route. It was a long day for me but I very much appreciate the service.

A friend was waiting for me when I got home and I really appreciated her big warm hug - priceless!

I am getting into a routine of coming home, food, resting and then in bed at a ridiculously early time.

Fatigue is here -  the thought of doing a food shop seems too much. Anyone doing food shopping online? Never done it before and I could do with tips/ advice if there is any.

I am drinking loads in the morning but when I get home not so much which is probably why I have a mild headache this morning.

GreenDamsel, I too started chemo in Feb this year although back then I wasn't using this forum.

I am sooo looking forward to the weekend..............

Bibi - we have the Bodyguard to look forward to. Smiley Happy

5/15

Hi everyone- and hi Green Damsel - how is your redness tonight?

mine was Ok today when I went for treatment but tonight after third lot it is really red and hot - I really hope it settles - just worried how I’ll cope with rest of the sessions.

Wombat I’m really tired but I think it’s the travelling - an hour and half to do 25miles tonight because we hit the commuter traffic - and I’ve got a later appointment tomorrow. Can’t wait for weekend so I can stay home. I’m drinking loads and moisturising and getting walks for fresh air but still tired. 

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow 

Bibi 

3/20

Community Champion

Wombat Woo

It is very likely the travelling, but are you taking in enough fluid daily as that will help combat the fatique which can be experienced as a result of the dehydration from the rads treatments xxx

Good evening ladies - I hope you all had a positive day
The fatigue appears to be hitting me already 4/15.

I wonder if it is the travelling rather than the treatment ?

Anxious - I hope you had a delay free day xx

Hi Bibi,

I was on the feb chemo forum and have just started rads today and lo and behold I also have a bright red boob already.  Bit of a shock as I was told it would be a few sessions before I would see any reaction.  I don’t burn easily in the sun either so this is new for me.  Will ask tomorrow if this is a sign of problems as I can’t see how my skin would cope with 3 weeks of this. I’d been moisturising with epaderm after mastectomy/reconstruction so I can’t see that being the issue.  Hope your redness settles down soon.

Hi Bibi - oh, I do hope the redness has settled, keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.

I am already looking forward to the weekend when I don't have to go to hospital.....

All the best to everyone heading in for another session.

4/15

Hi
Bibi it didn’t get any worse but stayed red. No swelling that I can see.
Sweet dreams xx