Re: September 2018 Radiotherapy

First session done this afternoon I found myself feeling really emotional it was hard keeping everything together, I felt so vulnerable on the table but I’m sure this will get easier once the first few are done.
This week has been my hardest week so far and it’s taken me by surprise I wasn’t expecting to feel like this.
My daughter and my 8 month old grandson are coming with me tomorrow so I’m hoping he will be a lovely distraction from it all.
1/15

10/15 anxious sole - aren’t we doing well ! I don’t actually finish until next Thursday 4th as I have a day off on Tuesday

Hope all you lovely ladies are doing well and enjoyed the sunshine today. I went for a walk in a deer park it was beautiful

🤗😘

Hi everyone, 

To add, I asked the nurse about the advice to drink loads of water,  You may know this already but apparently when the treatment destroys the cells, the dead cells create toxins which then circulate around the body and this can contribute to the tiredness, so the more you drink the more dead cell toxins you get out of your body. Smiley Happy

Hi Sue,

Yes, you said it - you can do this.

For me, attending rads is far less anxiety inducing compared to attending the dentist. 

Maggie, lovely to hear your energy is returning. Smiley Happy

Bibi - I am excited for you regarding your camera course. 

Wombat woo - we have passed the half way mark Smiley Happy

DamselGreen - Lovely to hear you're embracing the great outdoors. I have been researching woodland walks and I hope when I get physically stronger I can walk within the trees. 

9/15

Thanks ladies I have a bad habit of over thinking things and today has been one of my worst days since being diagnosed in June and I let everything get to me but tomorrow is another day and I know I can do this, this forum is such a good help to me I don’t comment much but I read everything and you are all so inspiring xx

Ah Sue as others say you are allowed to feel like that - it’s the waiting every time that is hard - waiting for chemo, waiting for surgery, waiting for results, waiting for radiotherapy- once you have done the first one you will be able to cope better. The physical aspect of radiotherapy is much easier to bear than chemo for sure but it’s still mentally tough. I have done 7/20 and have been feeling fine but have just sat down and had a good cry and I don’t know why - it’s hard keeping going at times but hopefully you have the support of your family - and just tell them when you feel rubbish don’t always be ‘fine’ if you are not feeling it.

Having said all that I agree drink plenty, moisturise and get fresh air every day - that’s what has helped me. Good luck Sue xx

Hi Sue. You are allowed to feel like that - I believe we all put on the brave face too often and forget ourselves.

Rads is a lot easier than I thought - in that all the radiographers are great, very caring and understanding... once the first one is over you will know what to expect. Expectation is often much worse than reality.

My main hints are to drink a lot of water and moisturise really well

Good luck, allow yourself to have bad days, then put your big girl knickers on and go knock the rads sessions off your calendar 😊 and if you feel like screaming afterwards come let it all out on here. 😘🤗. Wombat x
Community Champion

Hi Sue,

As ever, the prospect is always worse than the reality. It will be fine & as you say, once the first one is over you'll soon get into the routine of it all.

We've all had days feeling as you describe & it's just fine to feel the way you do.

It will pass.

ann x

Hi everyone my first radiotherapy session is tomorrow.
I’ve had a lovely laughter filled weekend away with my mother and 3 sisters but since getting back last night the reality of everything has hit me quite hard, I’ve spent a lot of today crying, I’m really trying not to be negative about everything but I think I’m just fed up of putting on a brave face for everyone. When anyone asks how I am the only answer I give is ‘I’m ok’ or ‘I’m fine’ because it’s hard to explain how I’m actually feeling especially when they all say how well I’m looking.
I’m making myself so anxious about it all but I am sure once the first session is over I will be a lot better.
Thanks for listening ladies Sue x

Maggie good to hear you have some energy back and I hope you have a fabulous holiday - you deserve it after all this.

Green Damsel I agree it would be lovely to go for a swim but advice I think is not - can’t wait to go again - will probably wait for a couple of weeks after end of rads until sure the skin is OK. Walking up a hill is also something I am looking forward to - walking up a slight incline raises my heart rate and makes me a bit breathless - think it might be the drugs rather than rads but again going to keep walking and will discuss with my oncologist when I see him in October.

I had a lovely afternoon in garden sorting out plants. I also became a student again last night for the first time in a long time - signed up for a Photography course at local college - had a great camera for my birthday last year and was going to do this course earlier in year but with chemo didn’t think I was up to it - so I’m quite excited to be learning and feel like it’s a step to getting my life back.

Hope everyone has a good week

Bibi 

7/20

Thanks Maggie, I thought as much, skin is fine just now but who knows what may happen if it’s exposed to all those chemicals.  I can wait a few more weeks and  I’ll ask the nurses in case there is advice on waiting for a period of time after rads are finished, it just seemed to be a nice way to exercise without any impact and the plastic surgeon is ok with it, will just need to be patient. 

Hi Green Damsel,

My rads team said no to swimming, until after skin has returned to normal after treatment, I'm guessing the puplic pools use pretty harsh stuff... 

There is a separate thread running on swimming during rads, some people have been fine...

Maggie

Hello,

How glad am I that I did my walking yesterday, today we have strong winds and rain and it’s probably very “dreich” at the top of Ben Ledi today.    It was a good day yesterday and I really enjoyed getting out in the fresh air and some exercise.  A bit tired at the end of the day but no worse than any other time I’ve done the same walking route so I don’t think i’m seeing any side effects of rads yet.

Good luck with the gardening Bibi, I hope you’re having much kinder weather than me.

ps anyone gone swimming during rads, just wondering if it’s a no no due to the chemicals? 

Well done Anxious Sole - more than half way there.... it’ll soon be bell ringing time.

Enjoy your gardening Bibi, it’s a lovely Autumn day here, hope the sun’s shining for you 😎

I’m at the manic packing/washing/ironing pre-hols phase and a week after finishing I’ve loads more energy, such a relief when it comes back
Maggie x

Morning Anxious Soul- know what you mean about tiredness - early starts this week are good in one way as it gets it over for the day but am not used to them - it was chilly this morning- ice on the windscreen ❄️- but at least the sun is shining now - a spot of gardening I think this afternoon 🌷🌹🌸🌼🌞

Good morning everyone,

How is everyone doing?

I am starting to feel very tired, the physiotherapists just reminded me to continue with the arm exercises. 

8/15

Oh GreenDamsel, walking, fresh air and hills sounds perfect and what a beautiful day for such wonders. x

Good morning ladies.

Rads done first thing and  thanks to a local holiday, traffic and parking were a breeze.  Must admit I was still thinking about the loose ends of Bodyguard on the way in this morning and wondering if that lines up a second series. Thoroughly enjoyed it and glad they kept it to a relatively short series.

Anxious-soul I liked Keeping Faith too although got a bit annoyed at her and some of the very silly things she does whilst supposedly being a fairly intelligent woman. 

Sun is out and I am now allowed to drive again so off on a little trip today to the hills for some walking and fresh air.  

Hope everyone one had a good weekend and this week goes quickly. 

Good morning everyone,

I didn't stay awake to watch the bodyguard, crashed at 8pm, catching up on iplayer - excited.

To distract myself over the weekend I was binge watching Keeping Faith on iplayer, really enjoying this. 

I have  two appointments today, physiotherapy followed by rads - I am guessing I will be shown different arm exercises to do.

On Friday during rads the staff were playing a Fleetwood Mac CD. I caught myself singing over the weekend to one of their songs....For me, a good moment if you know what I mean. Smiley Happy

Maggie, how are you feeling after ringing those bells? 

All the the best to those heading into treatment. X

Community Champion

Bibi

I have a crick in my neck didnt realise how tense I was.

Sending you all best wishes for the week ahead my dear xxx