Re: September 2018 Radiotherapy

And Bibi, what are your thoughts and feelings about herceptin?  Although they give me a runny nose and I think contribute to my tiredness I find having them reassuring, the drug makes me feel safer. Smiley Happy

How are you doing Sue62? 

Good morning everyone,

I finished watching Keeping Faith and so currently binge watching Killing Eve to help with distracting myself. 

Bibi I think the herceptin contributes to my tiredness too. 

Wombat Woo - how are you feeling about finishing? 

13/15

Happy Birthday Maggie - what a great way to celebrate - have a fantastic holiday x 

Anxious yes I do think the Herceptin contributes to my tiredness - especially the first few few days after it - also affects my digestive system .

I also find the reassuring words from the radiologists make me feel secure.

Good luck to you both Wombat and Anxious for your last week - you will be soon ringing that bell xxx

Have a Happy Birthday Maggie and a great holiday. X
Community Champion

Maggie

Happy birthday for tomorrow and have a wonderful holiday xx

Oh Maggie happy birthday and Bon voyage xxx

Anxious you finish a day before me... I can hear that bell calling !

I have a sense of prickly heat - very urgent need to scratch!! The radiographers were great - they have given me some acticool to use to ease the itch 😳

Here’s to great week lovely ladies 🤗😘

Oh Maggie so soon, a very Happy Birthday for tomorrow. I hope your holiday in Spain is everything you wish for. Smiley Happy

Warning! Emotional content

Anxious-soul -I’d say I’m pretty self sufficient and ressiant, and I found the daily comments of the radiographers very reassuring and emotionally helpful. It’s such an alien environment it’s hard (& unnecessary) to rely on your own resources. I’ve also found this thread hugely helpful - thank you ladies 🤗

I was tearful, tired and elated all at the same time after the last treatment. Took me a few days but I soon got used to having no hospital- it may be easier to walk away if you’ve not had chemo?

Well done Bibi, terrific fundraiser!!

We’re sailing to Spain first thing tomorrow, which is also my birthday, so a double celebration 🎉

Maggie x

Hi Bibi,

Yes I am nearly done. Like you I am on herceptin and this Thursday I will have completed 12 of 18. Bibi, do you think the herceptin contributes to your tiredness?

This Wednesday I will have finished rads and I think I may feel a little lost. I think this is because I struggle to reassure myself and most days the nurses will say something which gives me the reassurance I can't give myself.

The reassurance can include words like you're doing really well or you're doing everything right. Does anyone else feel emotionally better when they get this type of reassurance? 

Hi everyone - I had a great weekend - our coffee afternoon was a great success and we raised almost £400 so are very happy.

I am tired though and it’s only Monday! 

I had a rads review with a nurse after treatment on Friday and it was good to chat with someone and be able to ask questions. My skin was fine but over the weekend I have started cooking and it’s quite pink in parts - keeping up with fluids and moisturising so hoping it settles down. 

Anxious you are nearly done !  Have you any more treatment ahead? Are you nervous about treatment finishing? I think it will be weird to be ‘let go’ after treatment. I still have Herceptin injections every 3 weeks for a while yet so will still feel attached - will be seeing oncologist every 3 months till that finishes as well. 

Maggie enjoy your sun holiday and have a good relax. 

Have a good week everyone xx

Maggie - good to hear about your energy levels rising. When do you head to Spain?

GreenDamsel it sounds like you're tolerating the treatment quite we'll.

My skin is doing well, no sore areas, a little red and prickly but otherwise okay,

I was with friends on Sunday which was lovely, we visited our local canals and grabbed some fresh air, the ducks were out and about. Emotionally, when I am alone I feel like I could do with a good cry but there are no tears at the present time.  

12/15

Good luck to everyone this week - hope the weekends been fun & restful. You’re so nearly there....

Two weeks after finishing and my energy levels are back to normal, such a relief, and just in time for my trip to Spain. I’m still very pink and have one very patch, where my bra sits, but it’s not sore.

Still think of you guys going through it though.
Sending healing vibes
Maggie x

Morning Anxious-Soul.

I had a good weekend, no obvious changes in the skin or dip in energy yet but that’s only session 9/15 done so still a little way to go. I wasn’t planning on moving threads, unless the September one becomes ‘empty’. 

Hope you had a good couple of days as well and aren’t suffering from side effects.

Good morning, how is everyone?

Are folks going to move over to the October radiotherapy? Smiley Happy

Good morning everyone,

Sue - I do hope the process gets a little easier for you, I have always found the staff very understanding when I have told them about my fears and anxieties. One member of staff simply said 'we will look after you' and that was enough to comfort me.

Swimmer - I am sorry to hear about your loss, this forum is a good place to let it all out and people here will listen and understand. 

Maggie, Bibi and Wombat woo - I am so pleased it is nearly the weekend.

This week has flown by, I am feeling a little emotionally numb at the present time and I wonder whether I may burst somehow when I finish. Emotions can be so unexpected at times, they are never planned and can come out of nowhere. Bibi, you have a tough day, I hope you reward yourself over the weekend. 

11/15

Swimmer, no wonder you’re tired, there’s never a good time to be bereaved but this must be horrible for you, sending hugs x

Wombat, Anxious & Bibi well done, halfway or even further is a great feeling isn’t it.

Sue, good idea to ask your daughter along, and don’t be shy about telling the rads team you’re wobbly, they’re happy to help. I had sessions where they seemed to take forever to get the ‘numbers aligned’

10 days after finishing & I’m still moisturising and drinking lots & have a lovely red patch to show for it - but I’m not sore.

It’s Friday ladies - last one for this week!! Thinking of you xx

Sue - well done for getting through that first sesssion- I felt something similar on my first session- it was like a fresh realisation that it was really happening to me just like when I was first diagnosed. I am on my halfway point tomorrow 10/20 and it does get easier - in fact it’s  quite boring after a while. Good luck with the rest of your sessions.

Swimmer you are having a tough time - sorry to hear about your dad that is a hard loss to cope with as well as getting to rads everyday- look after yourself and let your family look after you. 

Only one more day this week - looking forward to a lie in on Saturday- got 3 appointments at 2 different hospitals tomorrow 😲 so wish me luck on the traffic.

Community Champion

Sue

Well done on getting through your first session, it does get easier and from here on in the sessions are shorter which will help.  It is a bit weird at first but just think this is the last part of your active treatment and you will soon be at your last session

Sounds lovely to have your daughter and grandson with you as a distraction.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Community Champion

swimmer

Just wanted to send you hugs, undergoing rads is hard enough but you are also dealing with the passing of your dad, it is not surprising at all that you are feeliing anxious, totally understandable.

Please try and give yourself time for you, let the others do stuff for you, the effects of treatment do build up and at some point you have to let go, this is a lovely comfortable place where you can do that with ladies who understand and get you.  I remember bursting into tears one day as I walked into the room, I just wanted it all to stop, my lovely rads nurse gave me a hug and a box of tissues, had a cry and then got on with it.  Be honest with them they will totally understand and do everything they can to help you.

Helena xxx

Hi Everyone,

I am on 8/15. Not too many side effects  - I moisturise with E45 about three times a day! I had a therapeutic reduction and I think some of the scarring is looking redder and I think my breast just feels a bit different. I felt I was coping quite well - I am a bit claustrophobic and I don't like the idea of being trapped on the table. Today however I felt a real sense of panic which I just about got under control, thinking about the measurements having to start again and being there even longer. Has anyone else had this feeling and what did you do? Sadly my father died last week, so I am not getting much rest - having to travel a 200 mile round trip to see my mother at the weekend following my treatment. I am tired and I am sure it is cumulative - months of treatment - I had a haematoma after my operation. I am struggling to prioritise my own needs, as of course I look OK and everyone else in the family is tired too. This is despite having a really supportive husband and lots of lovely friends. I think I just feel quite low not suprisingly.

Just wanted to say something about swimming - to me it is a life saver. I have been once to the pool this week and once in the sea - chilly but rejuvenating. When the radiographers at my centre asked me this week about my shoulder movements they were pleased to hear I swam a lot and said it was good. I think the only contraindications I have picked up is if your skin was broken.

Thanks for listening - just feeling very anxious tonight.