cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September 2018 Radiotherapy

Re: September 2018 Radiotherapy

Hi Maggie

that is lovely to hear, that rads is less zapping compared to chemo.

I think in my mind I sometimes forget that I'm not going to be injected with chemicals from the 13th of this month. Smiley Happy

JaneBeina hope it lessens each day. & huge well done on completing treatment 🛎

AnxiousSoul yes I was a bit stiff by Friday evening so thought I’d try and loosen up a bit & it’s helping.

Bibi, I was lucky enough not to need Chemo, (I was eligible for the Oncotype test) but I’ve a couple of friends who have needed both and they say rads is breeze in comparison.

Another teatime treatment for me today
Happy Tuesday ladies
Maggie x

Hi Maggie

I am listening to your advice. Smiley Happy

Hi JaneBelinda

I hope your anxiety gets a little less each day. Smiley Happy

Last radiotherapy session for me today ladies. Can’t believe how quick the time has gone!!

Have to say, I am a little anxious about finishing active treatment: I will miss Zappa every evening. Hopefully he did a good job on me. 

Wishing you all the best my lovelies xxx

Thanks Bibi.  Radiotherapy was nowhere near as bad as chemo.  A lot quicker, too.  Glad it all went well for you.

Thanks all for your positivity - all went well and they were all very calm and reassuring. 

Maggie have you found the radiotherapy has affected your mobility then? I will keep doing the exercises on your advice 👍

So 5 down - 10 to go.

Hope your planning session was reassuring Bibi.

I restarted the post surgery exercises this weekend and it’s helped my flexibility, I wish I’d kept them up from the planning session onwards, so that would be my top tip today...

Have a lovely evening everyone
Maggie x

Hi Bibi 

You can do this. I was advised by my counsellor to let the staff know if I was feeling anxious which I did and as a result they gave me heaps of reassurance and comfort. Smiley Happy

Hi Bibi. I felt much better about it all after my planning (CT) appointment. They gave me lots of time to ask questions.
Hope you feel the same tomorrow xx

Thanks Maggie x 

Good luck tomorrow Bibi, I found my scan appointment really helpful as they’ve time to answer all your questions.

Sometimes the waiting feels harder than the doing doesn’t it?
Maggie x

Good luck tomorrow Dorabel - it’s always the waiting to start that makes me anxious . I’ve got my CT tomorrow and am suddenly feeling anxious 😏

Anxious Soul - I haven’t listened to the podcasts - have read descriptions and can’t decide whether I want to or not- I find talking to people on these forums helpful but not sure about reading other people’s stories. 

Bibi x 

Hi there wombat woo

I find the BBC radio 5 Live you me and big C podcasts useful although I think they ( 3 women who have or had cancer) touch on some difficult discussion topics such as pain and death. Listening to them helps me process those difficult topics.

I think we all process, manage and cope differently and I think although some may find the podcasts useful others may not.

What I would say is that there is oodles of humour woven into the podcast material. Smiley Happy

0 down 15 to go

Hi Dorabel

I think there are a few of us here concerned about the side effects, particularly additional fatigue. Hopefully we can support each other through this.

I hope tomorrow goes okay for you. Smiley Happy

Good luck tomorrow Dorabel. The only advise i have drink lots & rest when you need to.
Maggie x

Hi there Dorabel,

some of us will, I think, be able to relate to your fear about side effects to come, especially around additional fatigue. Hopefully we can support each other through this.

Dorabel - I hope tomorrow is okay for you. 

Wombat woo -  I am enjoying the Radio 5 Live you me big C podcasts although they ( 3 young women who have or had cancer) touch on what may be considered difficult topics such as death and pain.

For me, I have had to process those difficult topics in order to feel more in control. That may not be the case for everyone. I think we all have our different ways to manage and cope.

Before my diagnosis I never thought about death, I mean why should I because I was young and healthy and then came along the chaotic cells -  I wasn't so healthy on a micro level. I started to process my diagnosis and beyond. Now, some days, I feel more comfortable about my own mortality. 

This al sounds dark and joyless, however I think the Radio 5 Live you me and the big C podcasts offer oodles of humour which is  sown within the podcasts and I have giggled several times listening to the 3 women sharing their thoughts and experiences. Smiley Happy

Hi All

My first rad is tomorrow.  The advice here, especially about drinking enough, is very helpful.  Re. deodorant, I was told to use one that has no aluminium.  I’ve bought a Bionsen roll-on that claims to have 0% aluminium & I think I’ll stay with it after rads.  Got it at Tesco.

After chemo I’m tired anyway, so I’m a bit fearful about the side effects to come.

Hello all - glad to hear your 4 down Maggie. You will have to create a diagram showing us howto dismount with style!!!! Anxious I haven’t heard the podcasts what do you think of them??? So 13 days till I start. - just ready for the next step now
Have a great weekend all😘🤗

Good morning everyone

Anyone listening to to the little me big c podcasts?

Hi anxious,

I meant to say, in reply to your earlier post, we are hugely resilient & being really kind to ourselves is really important.

My weariness levels go up & down, so I rest when I’m tired.

Maggie x

Hi Maggie 

good to hear your update. 0 down 15 to go. ( no ding dong in sight at present).

Hi ladies,

Well. my first week is done, and although a little more tired than normal, I've survived, and my dismounts are getting slicker!  

I had an end of week review meeting after my treatment, mostly focussed on wellbeing not and I brought up the subject of deodorants etc... she, very sensibly, said we all need to heed the advice from our own onc deptartments as they know what the treatment programmes etc... shame as I was keen to try the non-aluminium one.

All my appointments are tea-time next week, which suits my body clock better than these early starts, good luck to everyone starting Monday.

Have a restful & well-hydrated weekend ladies...

maggie x

4 down 11 to go 🔔 

Good morning everyone,

CJP Harvelin, walking 3 doggies seems the perfect distraction, those cyclists are very naughty. Stay safe on tthose canal paths.

Bibi I can  relate to your worries about fatigue, I am very tired too. A little bit of a worry for me although I am going to have to  put  faith in believing I am resilient enough to get through this, we, us humans are resilient creatures. 

Smiley Happy

Community Champion

Bibi

Juat let the afternoon naps happen as it is your body restoring itself.  The fatigue that can be experienced whilst having rads is generally down to the daily travelling and also the dehydration that can happen from having them, just make sure that you take in plenty of fluid every day, I was advised to drink at least 2 litres of water a day and I did notice it on days when I did not do it.  I still have the odd day where I have a nap when I get home from work but again that is probably due to my not drinking enough water and being tired after work.

Helena xxx

Hi everyone, l got same advice as Wombat Woo did on deoderant and non aquious cream. So glad you are feeling positive Wombat Woo! I have my planning on Tuesday morning, so probably looking to start 3rd week in September, if it's two weeks away from planning etc. I think you get to a stage where you just want it to start don't you,after all the waiting after surgery and results ....funnily enough, this past week l have also felt more tired.  Probably just everything catching up! Had a lovely walk with the dogs along the canal today, after we recovered from the 4 (me and 3 pooches) of us narrowly missing falling in as we were almost run down from behind by two silent cyclists, (no bells on bikes to sound the alarm)!!!  Trying my best not to have any canal mishaps before Tuesday!! Love to you all xxxx

Thanks Wombat - I have lots of freckles so a few more would blend in 😜

Not as nervous about this stage as I was with chemo and surgery - just hoping for some tips on getting through it - skin problems seem to be main one so will be listening to what they say. 

I started on Letrozole just over a week ago as well and am feeling quite tired- well exhausted actually -  have read fatigue can also be SE of rads so hoping I can get through without more - trying to resist afternoon naps but am sometimes defeated. 

Community Champion

Lilacmoon

I was advised to use one called pitroc as it is a natural mineral deoderant which you can get from Boots.  it takes a liitle to get used to as you either have to put it on damp skin or wet the end of it before applying it to your skin xx

Hi there wombat woo

I Am pleased that you're feeling more positive after today. We can do this! Smiley Happy

Deleted my comment.

I used Soft and Gentle 0% aluminium deodorant spray which has been approved for radiotherapy use. I could only find it in Asda. I suffered with a "smelly" armpit throughout rads but it soon disappeared after

Hello Bibi - CT is planning. I had mine today. Everyone was so nice and the tattoos are really pinpricks - I expected them to be the size of large freckles 🤣🤣🤣

Ladies- re deodorant - apparently the guidance has now changed and as long as you use a roll on and keep it to the arm pit it is fine.

Re cream for moisturising they say non-aqueous cream is best... I am going to use Aveeno Apparently it has shown that aqueous cream can dry the skin out ??!

Anxious sole & CJP now I have been for planning I am feeling a lot more positive about it all... I sort of rolled off the table so definitely no prize for elegance dismounts !!!

Hello everyone- having completed 7 rounds of chemo, WLE and ANC I now have a CT scan on Monday before radiotherapy. Is this the planning session or will I have scan and then a planning session later? My oncologist said it would be a couple of weeks between CT and start of rads but I can’t remember if he said this was the planning session.

I have to have 15 +5 boosters. The hospital is about 45 mins drive - but across city so could take longer - that’s one of the things I’m not looking forward to - although hubby will be driving . 

Hope it all goes well for everyone.

Bibi 

Now talking of deodorant, no one told me anything about not wearing any. The only advice I had was not to shave under my arm.
But has anyone been given advice on a suitable one to go for thats less harmful to us?

Hi maggie48 I was told no deodorant, just simple soap and simple shampoo ( the simple brand) no perfume, talc etc etc.  The bcn spoke about metals being in some products which interfered with the process.

Thanks for clarifying the bell situation. Smiley Happy

I hope your tea time appointment goes okay for you. Smiley Happy

Morning all,

wombat you made me laugh, which is allways a good thing!  My husband has kindly pointed out I'm not hat graceful anyway.... 😂😂

lilac moon, great that you're starting to get back to normal, really good to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Anxious-soul, there were no bells ringing during my rads.  They were playing music though.  I think some departments have a bell you can ring when you've completed your last treatment, mine doesn't.  

Teatime session for me today & then out for dinner. 

Im struggling without deodorant, but keeping up with the the moisturising and hydration.  Has anyone else been told to not use deodorant at all on the affected side?

Maggie x

Good morning Lilacmoon 14

lovely to hear your words that you are 'getting back to normal'. I have tiny moments of feeling my old self but getting back to normal feels like a long trek away.

Thank you you for the advice, I am rubbish at keeping myself hydrated so I will have to manage this somehow. 

There is discussion about ringing the bell. I may sound daft when I ask whether a bell rings during the treatment? Smiley Happy

Spoiler

Good luck everyone who's getting on the September hit list!!
You are in the right place for help, advice, rants and bellringing.
I finished rads nearly 8 weeks ago now (where has the time gone????) and life is getting back to normal. Sometimes it really does feel like the last 5 and a half months have been a dream.

I am one of the biggest stressheads ever BUT, in the end there was nothing at all to stress over and no massive side effects to note.

Keep well moisturised and drink heaps, thats the best advice I can give

🌼🌹🌼

Hello all. Yes it will be great to stay in touch and support and share with each other. I think you have to go through it to understand it .... Maggie perhaps we should have a pact that we put elegant to one side for now 🤣🤣 xxx

Hi there CJP Harvelin,

I agree, it is lovely to connect under such difficult circumstances and is different from family and friends, perhaps because there is a mutual understanding of the emotional impact this disease can have on a person.I Im not sure. 

Oh, you have a doggy, I love dogs although I do not own one. Dog walking in the countryside sounds like a perfect escape from thinking about bc. Smiley Happy

CJP you’re right the support from those going through it too is invaluable, it’s just different to what family & friends can offer.

Day 2 done, still an inelegant dismount! The radiographer said no ones elegant, which made me smile.

Maggie x

Hi wombat woo,

I start on Thursday 13th too! 

I hope we can support each other through this treatment. When I am struggling I remind myself of what the Macmillan nurse said to me when I was diagnosed, she said ' you can do this'. 

have lost count of the number of times I have silently said these words to myself. Smiley Happy 

Hi Wombat woo, looking forward to sharing the experiences with you too. By the time l start yuolly be a few weeks in so it will be so good to chat xxxxx

Hi Anxious soul, yes my GP spoke to me about counseling, l am glad it is helping you, she sounds really supportive as well! I have just been to the gym for a gentle half hour session as it is great for giving me some focus away from the BC. I am hoping it will help with my overall fitness before the radiotherapy too. That and the dog walking ! I am  so glad to have these opportunities to chat, it's a different type of support and care talking to people who are going through this even if you have supportive friends and family😘 xxxx

Hello ladies. I too have my planning appt tomorrow and start on 13 September. I am looking forward to sharing our experiences on this thread with you all xxx

Hi there CJ Harvelin,

I am sorry to hear about your mum, I can only imagine how tough this is for you, processing the past as well as the present. 

Have you access to any professional counselling which may help you? I appreciate that counselling may not be for everyone. I have taken up counselling and find it useful, she reassurance me when needed, challenges me by using CBT techniques and consistently there for me when I have a wobble. And just knowing she is there even when I am feel stronger, emotionally, helps me feel a little safer if that makes sense. 

I say smiling from time to time is good enough. I have been known to do this too! And laugh, on occasion. Smiley Happy

Hi,anxious soul, l do worry about my other breast and if it will come back as my Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer at the same age as me now (52) Hers was invasive by the time she noticed and she had mastectomy. I had just been nursing for 2years then , very busy working all shifts, and l wish l had asked her more about what she was going through and about the cancer. ad  was with us till she was 60 ,she went onoto develop stomach cancer.  I suppose the fear of it has always been with me,and now it's here it feels really surreal and l think l am more sad thinking about my mum as much as anything else. I think these things often bring up what has happened in the past. My mum's case has had a lot to do with my panics and worries over this even though l know l am lucky that l had lumpectomy and it hadn't become invasive when it was found and that l don't need more surgery or chemo. I have to keep reminding myself of this! I suppose for me despite what I said earlier l think l will be living with the thought of it even when the treatment is over! Sorry this sounds a bit maudlin doesn't it, I do smile from time to time!! 

Hi CJP Harvelin

No I don't have to take Tamoxifen, I have to take a targeted drug named herceptin, injection every 3 weeks for 12 months. I can understand your concern regarding side effects. Do you have access to free complimentary therapies such as massage? I am very lucky as I can access free complimentary therapies via my local hospice. 

It is good to hear that you're being supported at work. Smiley HappyMy work has been supportive, the client base relies on me being reliable and I couldn't deliver this with the number of hospital appointments and my fatigue levels are such that at present I couldn't give what was needed. I think the herceptin may be contributing to my fatigue.

Although I can see the finishing line, with this disease, I don't know what is going on inside my body on such a molecular level. This for me is the tough part.  How do you feel about the finishing line? Smiley Happy

Hi Maggie, good to know re the weight, l have been trying to lose weight and had just joined our local gym the month before I was diagnosed, l have resumed going again after recovering from surgery , anticipating that I may not be able to get there as often once the radiotherapy starts. I think my emtionse were up and down before due to starting menopause!!!Oh the joy of it all!

CJP forgot to mention I started Tamoxifen a month ago, so far not gained any weight, I’m chubby enough already.

I had to come off hormonal contraceptives & change PMT meds at the same time so I’m chalking up my emotional roller coaster of a month to those changes and hoping my GP was right about it all settling down in a couple of months.

I’m very thirsty, which a helpful friend told me was ‘in my head’ (honesty some people) but I drink a couple of litres of water a day now - which can only help the weight management I think.
Maggie x