cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

September 2018 Radiotherapy

Re: September 2018 Radiotherapy

Hi sue and Alliand Sorry your are feeling it a bit and are anxious of your rads. Remember it is the last bit of this journey we didn’t choose to be on and as Helena says it is the bib and braces part and making sure all is cleared and zapped. If you are feeling vulnerable during your treatment do speak to your team on how you are feeling. If all goes well you can be in and out in 15/20 mins but this all depends on how the machines are behaving in the day. I drove myself most days. Just take a drink with you. The biggest problem I had was parking and had to be there a good 45 mins prior to app just to park. Seems to be a hospital thing. As you say we are all different and react in different ways but the rads for me were a breeze. It was afterwards for me and others. Take a look in our thread first few weeks after rads as there is some interesting reading i there that might just help you both. You will get there ladies and the light is at the end of the tunnel. Take care both.

hi Aliand

I am sorry to hear how vulnerable you're feeling. Are you able to talk to the staff about your feelings? Physically, are you being challenged too? 

Hi Sue I have also been told this bit is the easy bit although I remember we're all different and so I have never assumed anything during the treatment, just held back to see how my body and emotions responded. 

Hi Sue, I’m not feeling affected by tiredness. I’m not sleeping well anyone as I’ve got quite severe carpel tunnel syndrome at the moment. But the radio isn’t affecting it. I’ve only a 30 min drive each way. I don’t think anyone knows how you will feel until it happens
I think sometimes friends who’ve not been there tell us it will be fine and we are doing great because that’s what they want to believe. Very few people really want to know how crap this all is. I hope you find it much easier than me. I find being undressed one of the hardest things. It may not be a big issue to you xxx

Hi Aliand so sorry you are having such a bad time with the radiotherapy, I’m not sure what to expect everyone keeps telling me it will be a walk in the park it’s only 10 minutes treatment a day but these are people who haven’t actually gone through it, it’s a 40/45 minute drive each way and I’ve been told I could drive myself because at my age (55) I will feel fine after it so any worries I’m having about it all I have kept to myself because I don’t want anyone thinking I’m making a fuss about nothing!!
Sue x

Hi Anxious-soul, good luck starting your treatment today
Due x

Hi TMede08 I have been told I don’t need hormone therapy, hope all goes well at your planning appointment
Sue x

Gosh I hate radiotherapy. Just had session 6 of 15 and cried while strapped down for the 3rd time. I never expected to feel so vulnerable. I’ve had 8 rounds of chemo and a diep reconstruction and I’ve nanaged those really well. This is totally knocking me !

Hi Sue,

I hope the planning appointment last week went okay for you.

I start treatment tomorrow.

Today, I am going to be cooking up some meals and putting in the freezer since I may be feeling fatigued from the travel and the treatment. Smiley Happy

Hi Sue,

I too will be starting my radiation within the next week, or so. I have my planning appointment scheduled tomorrow and just like you, I can't wait until this Phase 2 is over. 

I'm 31yrs old and I was diagnosed this past June (26) about 2-3 weeks shy of my 31st birthday. I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Grade 1, Stage 1. I’ve had my lumpectomy, and everything went well, so now it’s off to Phase 2. Will you be starting hormonal therapy too?

I honestly can’t wait until I can have my life back.

Anxious sole ... good shout ! I will force myself 😊😊

Wombat woo, I can recommend the Night Manager on iplayer although you may have watched this already or may not be your viewing taste...Smiley Happy

Anxious sole- 🤣🤣🤣. I am caught up now too... must find something else to binge watch xx

Wombat woo, yes two more sleeps.......I am keeping busy although I have no more episodes of the bodyguard to watch. Hmmm.

Hi Sue. Knowing the treatment is arranged is quite empowering....

Anxious Sole - nearly there. 2 more sleeps !!! We can do this 😘

Hi everyone I had my planning appointment last Thursday and have just received a letter with my first appointment for radiotherapy which is September 26th, I’m lucky in that I’ve not needed Chemo, I’m just looking forward to getting my life back I seem to have been in limbo since I was diagnosed in June but reading about everyone’s experiences on here has been such a big help to me
Sue x

Good morning Bibi,

that all sound very lovely, doing lovely things with the people you love and care about.

I have been spending time with those people special to me too. Also, I am watching the Bodyguard on catch up I player which is proving a good distraction.  

Wombat woo - how are you doing? Smiley Happy

Good morning mustardandgrey,

For me, the chemo definitely made my skin more sensitive, I cannot wear anything perfumed.

The advice from others is to generously apply a  skin lotion. I will be using diprobase lotion as this is perfume free.

I am pleased to hear the experience was pain free. Smiley Happy

0/15 start Thursday. 

Good luck to everyone starting this week 🤞you all get through without too much discomfort. 

My Herceptin injection was fine and I had a lovely busy weekend away in Oxford - no time to think about treatments so feel quite refreshed. Taking the opportunity of the rest of the week free to do lunch/coffee/dinner with friends and family before starting rads next Monday. I am taking note of all the tips to help me. 

Have a good week everyone x

First radio today!
There's definitely an art to the breath hold...I thought I'd cracked it at home, only to discover on the machine that I naturally arch my back when breathing in Smiley Happy
A pain free experience, but surprised to be a bit pink and sore after the first session.
Does chemo make skin more sensitive?

Sarah x

Sorry pressed post too quickly.... I shall remember that bit too !! 😘

Thanks Gill3

Hi wombat. Cream around your back also as I turned a bit bit pink on my back by shoulder blade and didn’t notice it till near the end

Ladies thank you all for your replies. I will play it be ear I guess- I have bouncy boobs so will need something but didn’t want to irritate anything- I will try all your ideas !! Will report back 😘. I have started moisturising already and it is making me put it all over .... I have never been one for body lotion per se but I think I could get used to it!!!
Big hugs to you all 🤗🤗🤗

Hi wombat woo. I am big boobed so there was no way I could go without a bra. I took the wires out my older bras and was fine. For night time and even now 12 weeks after last tad I wear a soft bra at night just those slip on ones. Got them off groupon and they are great and just give that little bit of support and don’t get squashed lol.

Hello wombat woo,

I am counting down with you.

3 more treatment free days to go. Smiley Happy 

Hi Ladies

9 down and 6 to go, I’ve used Aveeno and so far my skin is looking good. I wear a vest top with hidden support at night (did this anyway pre-BC) and my normal bras during the day & so far no irritation.

I’ve chosen to avoid people with coughs and colds, because I don’t want a cold & my immune system’s busy!, but I’ve not been advised to avoid infections by the rads team.

Having a lovely weekend with friends & relaxing.

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow
Maggie x

Hi Wombat x   The whole way through rads I didn't wear a bra at all, I literally wore very fitted vest T-shirts and let the air get to my boob at night as much as I could. Luckily I could manage without a bra most of the time and even at my treatment sessions I didn't even bother changing  into a gown, I literally just whipped my top and vest off while in the treatment room. 

If there ever was a need for a bra I had some cropped sports bras that I used as they don't have seams and therefore didn't rub or irritate. 

Best advice is heaps and heaps of Aloe Vera moisturiser, my boob has never felt so smooth!!!!!!

Good luck to all of us starting this week... anxious sole we can count down together !
A question for you lovely ladies who are already having rads- do you wear a bra or top at night during treatment ??? Thanks xxx

Hello Sarah

I hope tomorrow goes okay for you.

I start this Thursday, in the afternoon. Smiley Happy

Community Champion

Sarah

Hello and yay, the final stretch and it will not be long before you see that light at the end of the tunnel and you will have finished active treatment.  Well done you it has been a long slog for you.

Sending you all best wishes and hugs for Monday.

helena xxx

Hello!

After finishing six rounds of chemo nearly three weeks ago I'm starting radiation on Monday.

It's a nice feeling to be on the home straight after eight months of the journey Smiley Happy

Sarah x

Just as a general comment on the subject, I thought it was only chemo that indicated being aware/beware of infections and bugs around?  I guess the only thing is to try to keep healthy for R/T,  just in view of hospitals not encouraging attendance by anyone with bugs and illnesses?  I don't know how it works, say if you got unwell in the middle of R/T so that you couldn't attend appointments, how they rejiggle? . . . . I used to travel in on the Tube and buses, and even in the waiting rooms there would be someone who would COUGH !!  I used to dive down my jumper or T shirt, and carry a antibacterial spray with me, and splosh it over my hands and under my nose if in doubt !!!  ( It's a bit expensive, but I highly recommend the Neals Yards Hand Spray  -  kills off 99% bugs, and smells fresh and light, and isn't drying or sticky  -  and a bottle does last a good while  -  I converted my eldest daughter who works in a hospital, and she much prefers it to the very drying and skin stripping alcoholic gels etc) Sorry I've rambled on a bit there. . . . 

Hi Linda. Don’t know if this will help but my husband was in hospital during the last week of my rads and I didn’t go visit him ( sounds awful I know) but 15 sessions in and 5 to go there was no way I wanted to get an infection off a ward where everybody had had surgery. On my 18th session I asked if I was open to infection in any way. He asked when my chemo finished of which thankfully I didn’t need and his reply was I am fine to visit but would have been different if I had received chemo. As others have said mention to your rads team they will advise.
Community Champion

Linda Corrine

I dont think so, I think that is more if you are having chemo, but you could always check with your rads team.  Is it in relation to colds that you are thinking?  x

Sorry can’t help with that one - perhaps ring the department to check ???

Does anyone know if you should avoid people with infections still wbilst having radiotherapy?x

Good luck with your Herceptin injections Bibi and hope you do feel well enough to go away.

We’re staying with some friends at the weekend, really looking forward to a change of scenery, they’re old friends who won’t mind me wanting a nap 😴

Feel much more energised today, which is lovely.

Another teatime rads for me today. Number 8 where they redo some of the CT imaging to make sure it’s all working - good to know.

Have a good day ladies
Maggie x
7/15

Good morning everyone,

Bibi, no I haven't had to support anyone with regards to my diagnosis, I have been lucky that way.

I hope your first herceptin injection goes okay and you manage to get away.

wombat woo - I hope you're doing okay. Smiley Happy

Morning everyone

Wombat Woo I hope you are continuing to feel better - a good cry now and then does seem to help. I had some counselling a few months ago through my local cancer support centre and found it very helpful. I know what you mean about people not always understanding the mental changes as well as the physical changes to you and your body - things are changed forever and some days that just hits hard and I need some time to myself to process. I have had a lot of support from family and friends but does anyone feel like you have to support them to get over your diagnosis? That can be emotionally draining.

i am having my first Herceptin injection tomorrow afternoon- should have been going away today but have managed to change plan and going tomorrow evening as long as I feel well 🤞. 

Have a good weekend everyone and hope treatment continues well for you all. X

Thank you ladies - I’ll speak to the Consultant.
Maggie x

Thanks for sharing Anxious Sole. I have rung the counsellor and hope to get a session very soon 🤗

Hi wombat woo,

I am doing okay thanks. I am having less emotional wobbles. When I was first diagnosed in Jan this year I was having hiccups due to the stress of events.

I went through a long stage of feeling almost frozen, stuck, hyper vigilant. I still have these although only on occasionally now. 

From my reading I have found there is a significant correlation between a breast cancer diagnosis and post traumatic stress disorder. 

The counselling has helped, she has given me useful advice and reassurance and given me space to talk and she has listened without judgement. Smiley Happy

Hi Maggie

The oncologist did a referral to counselling, there was a few weeks wait, the support has worked out well for me. Smiley Happy 

I hope get some rest and your appointment goes okay. Smiley Happy

Hello Wombat Woo,

(Totally love the username btw!) 

Just wanted to say that your comments about not being able to cry or properly process this grotty situation that we’ve found ourselves in, is so familiar, happened to me too...I burst into tears long after diagnosis and op after a daft thing happened, which in the ‘good old days’ would have just made me laugh..

it was kind of cathartic, but now I get teary a fair few times, and yep, fed up at the “think positively” and “you’re OK now, aren’t you ?” remarks from nearest and dearest,..with the exception of my daughter, who is going through PND herself, and understands the mental anguish. I’ve asked for counselling/CBT too, to see if it’ll help.. (I found a poem on this forum called “ Cancer Lite”  that really sums it all up ! It was very accurate to how I feel these days ..) 

You are definitely not alone as loads on here identify with all this..hope you feel a bit better soon and keep gearing up for your rads treatment. Finished mine on 24th August and can happily say it really isn’t so bad, it’s the travelling more than anything, but you and others on this thread will mentally tick each day off and get there ! 

All the very best

Thistle xxx 

Well I'm sure it's absolutely fine to be fed up, I've raged & cried at the unfairness of some of the events we've missed this summer & the holidays cancelled.  

Anxious/Wombta, have you accessed counselling through your BCN or GP?

I'm shattered today, combination of early alarm and treatment I think, so I'm back in bed having a siesta before tonight's treatment.  

Maggie x

Thanks Anxious sole. YesI am arranging some counsellung now... I thought I wouldn’t need it - hey ho I seem to be finding another side to me 😊. Hope your doing ok ? Not long now till the 13th and we can start ticking off the days 😘🤗

Hi wombat woo,

Let those tears out as I think it is the start of the healing process. 

Have you you access to or thought of counselling to help you process your thoughts, anxieties and health situation?

I am not going to say stay positive - it is okay not to be okay. Hugs. 

Morning ladies - well I think I made a breakthrough of sorts yesterday - I finally cried... no tears since diagnosis. I saw my BCN and suddenly the damn just broke. I really think this is the start of my getting my head around this ... I find it hard that everyone is so positive (friends and family) and say well done your going to be fine since I got my results, but my body has changed forever, I’m still going through it and my head is in right state!!! Cancer really messes with my head.
I hope your all having a sunshine day today. Hugs xxx

Hi Bibi

I am sorry to hear you're fed up. I totally get what you're saying regarding the number of hospital appointment, I have found this totally overwhelming at times.

I have found the hospital accommodating and flexible if I speak with the breast care nurse or department and say that I am not available on certain days they seem able to accommodate. You may have a different experience though. Hugs Smiley Happy

Hope your treatment continues to go well Maggie.

JaneBeina congrats on getting through treatment 🛎

Just had appointment for Herceptin injections starting Friday  -didn’t realise I would be having to give blood 2days before that - looks like my life is just full of hospital appointments at the moment - and not even all at same hospital- have to go to a bigger regional centre for the rads. OK I know I have been expecting all these appointments but I’m feeling really fed up as we have had to cancel/alter  2 sets of weekends that were booked because of appointments. Friends say to me it’s just another step to getting to end, appointments are more important than what we had planned - I know all that but I’m still really fed up and teary about it - was feeling like I was getting on top of the Letrozole fatigue and looking forward to being away. I know they are trying to make me feel better but It’s not helping. Sorry - feeling sorry for myself .