Re: September 2018 Radiotherapy

Well done Anxious sole what a day you have had. I am sure you will celebrate when you are ready xx

Green Damsel - they ask me how I am and they look at my skin - I went in 1 day and they had a sign up saying skin check today - they always ask how I feel and if there are any issues. They have prescribed hydrocortisone cream and given me cooling gel pads as I have developed a very itchy rash which I guess is a form of prickly heat. - deep joy. They then said it may get worse before it gets better.

I more session on Thursday

I hope your all relaxing this evening and that your having a great holiday Maggie ?!?

🤗 and 😘
Community Champion

Anxious Soul

It is a pleasure, I remember when I finished and the ladies did that for me xxx

Green Damsel - I am always asked how I’m feeling that day, they don’t ask about my skin - I assume they are looking and monitoring. When I went red the first few sessions they got the rads nurse to see me and she came back the next day to check how it was. I had a rads check after 2 weeks and she said she would see me again before I finish - I’m having 20 sessions.

Anxious ringing for you - well done for getting through - you will celebrate when you have had a rest xxx Goo luck xxx

Thank you ladybowler, that means a lot to me. Smiley Happy

Community Champion

Anxious Soul

Woo hoo thats it done and I am rining the bell loudly for you.

Helena xxx

bell-ringing-gif-9.gif

Hi there GreenDamsel,

Yes, I have rang those bells, around 3.30pm, no apparent emotions at present possibly because I am very tired. Smiley Happy 

On arrival the nurses always asked how I was feeling and asked about my skin, whether it was feeling itchy, they would also have a look at my skin and reassure me that everything was looking okay. Every day they would ask what cream I was using and how often I was applying the cream. And yes they would ask what plans I had for the rest of the day. 

The NHS radiotherapy staff have all been totally brilliant. 

Maggie48, wow, hola! It is lovely to hear from you across the water. 

Hello,

if i”ve got it right you ring that bell today Anxious-Soul, well done on completing what can feel like a very long journey.

I finish next Tuesday and can’t wait to be appointment free and not having my day revolve around whichever appointment slot I have that day.

One question for you all, have you been asked about side effects at all during treatment?  While the radiographer will say hello and what are my plans for the day etc. no one has actually ever asked how I am feeling, how my skin is etc.  Apparently I get a treatment review with a nurse on the last day of treatment (no doubt to warn me it gets a lot worse 2 weeks after treatment stops).

Maybe they are just surreptitiously eyeing up my skin each day while they check the measurements and can see the skin all looks ok and because I usually have some activity planned they work out that I can”t be feeling tired etc but just very aware no one has ever asked me directly.  Just wondered what everyone else had experienced ?

Hola!!
Ring thos eves Annxious-Soul, what a lovely post, so glad you’re seeing some positives.

🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔

Thank you Thistledown. Smiley Happy

Community Champion

Anxious Soul

I know in my particular case I have an appointment with my onoclogist annually for 5 years and a mammogram yearly as well, if it is like this year the mammo will be about 4 weeks before my oncologist apt.

I think everyone is different, I find if I am having an anxious time, and I do still have moments even two years after my diagnosis, I immerse myself in my cross stitch which seems to work.  Honestly it does get easier, I would say now 99% of the time I do not even think about having had bc, it is certainly not the first or last thing I think of now.  Have you thought about having some counselling which your bcn should be able to organise for you.  It gives you a safe comfortable space in which to talk to someone about how to you are feeling.

I also found that I set myself small milestones, like starting to drive again, building up to do my normal working hours, getting back into my lawn green bowls, gardening, it was great to tick each one off as I achieved it.  I didnt look to far ahead and was realistic in what I wanted to achieve.

Also never fear to come on here and talk to us when you are feeling anxious, the wonderful ladies on this forum will be there to help and support you in whichever way you can

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Yes ladybowler it will be strange, I see the chemotherapy consultant on Monday but after that I don't appear to have many appointments.

From then on, I am going to have to learn to reassure myself. Do you have any thought regarding this? Sometimes when my mind is racing towards worst case scenarios I concentrate on my breathing and this helps me.  I think reassuring myself may be slightly different to being positive. I am trying to figure out what approach would work best for me and lead me to feel some reassurance rather than getting relief externally, that is from hearing the words from others. 

Wombat woo - it is good to know you will be popping next door too.  I will await others to finish before I go next door.  Smiley Happy

Hi Anxious Soul

Just here as one of the ‘recent Rads finishers’ to say congrats, hope you ring that bell today loud and clear... - and as Ladybowler said, keep up with the fluid, exercising, and moisturising..

It definitely peaked for me at about 14 days, fatigue hit occasionally too, but nothing major..it’ll all be fine for you. Emotionally, I found it a bit of a struggle, but get yourselves over to the After the Bell thread, advice and support is invaluable at this time, (as it’s been right the way through),  so keep together, and look after each other..

Take care 

Thistle 

Community Champion

Anxious Soul

What a lovely positive post which I know will reassure ladies who are about to start rads and are anxious, thank you for that, it is just what they need

Yes it is going to be strange moving forward after today because you have spent so long "in the system" but remember you do have your breast care team there to support you and us lovely lot Smiley Happy.  I remember the first time I drove after my op I just went round the block and back, yes it was a bit scary but do you know what within days I was not even thinking about it. 

Remember to to keep up your regime for the next couple of weeks, especially the fluid intake as that will help with any fatigue you might experience. 

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Hi anxious I am now one day behind you as I had a day of yesterday as the machine was being serviced ! I will ring it loud and clear tomorrow.
I will also go onto that thread... see you there xxx

Wombat woo - I hear you regarding the new normal. I have noticed some positive aspects within my new normal, for example when I am feeling physically rubbish I push myself so I can spend time with the people I care about. 

Wombat woo - you are finishing today too? I think we started together. Let me know how you are doing. I read some discussion in the thread named a few weeks after ringing the bell that the side effects from rads peak 10 to 14 days after treatment.

I am planning to continue to use the forum and later maybe use the thread named a few weeks after ringing the bell if this is active. 

Ring that bell Wombat woo. x 

Go ring that bell Anxious sole. ! This is the beginning of your New Normal. I believe we will never be the people we were before our diagnosis - too much has happened to us and we understand ourselves a little differently now.
But celebrate the end of this chapter and look forward to the next - !!! Xxxxx

🛎🎉 hope your final day goes well - ring that bell really loud - it may take a while to adjust but you will find yourself again Anxious. Thank you for all your support xxxx

Good morning everyone,

Bibi - it is so hard when experiencing side effects and we are never too sure which treatment is the cause. Tummy troubles is never nice. Today,  I do hope very much you feel a little better. Please let me know how you get on. 

It is my last session. For me, the hospital transport has worked really well. The pattern has been travelling with two other patients who live near to me and who are going through rads and we have got to know each which has been comforting.  And to add the drivers have been supportive throughout.

Yesterday I noticed there is a bell near to the reception area. I am really not sure how I am going to feel. In some ways I feel the biggest tests are to come, that is: letting go, learning to reassure myself, learning to trust my body again, gaining confidence in driving, gaining physically and emotionally strength and the list goes on and on but I guess ultimately I would like to start feeling more like me, the person I know. 

For anyone feeling anxious about the radiotherapy, for me, so far this has been far easier emotionally and physically compared to chemo and surgery. The bcn said this was the easy part but I was thinking about a marathon, how the running gets harder near the end. I may get hit by more fatigue after I finish but I am ready and waiting and hopefully I will find the strength to get through the other side. Smiley Happy

Anxious I thank god for whoever discovered Herceptin! Yes definitely appreciate that it is giving me a better chance of survival and reduces chances of reoccurrence.

But it makes me tired - although at the moment I’m still not sure which is the biggest contributor to tiredness, rads, Herceptin or Letrozole- think they all do.

Im lucky I don’t seem to be getting of the aching bones and muscles that some people seem to suffer from it so 🤞that continuesHowever I do seem to be suffering a bit in the nausea and upset bowels and I’m wondering if it’s the Herceptin- I thought I might not be able to lie on the bed for rads today as I felt so bad - they were very kind to me and I did manage but have been on sofa all afternoon feeling terrible and frequent bathroom visits. Didn’t help they were running about an hour late today either- hoping I will feel better tomorrow- have started to pick up in last half hour.