Re: September 2018 Radiotherapy

Wombat woo, that all sounds very lovely, you will be missed.  💗

Enjoy the chocolate Anxious Sole.
I am off to Cyprus on Monday for 2 weeks with my hubby

I wish you all the very best for the next 2 weeks Bibi I will be ringing the bells for you on Monday 🛎🛎🛎

🌞🤗😘

Thank you Bibi for the link, I will have a look sometime soon. Smiley Happy

GreenDamsel, I hope you're enjoying your hill walking, facing the elements can be exhilarating. 

I have spent most of the day sorting through my hospital appointment paperwork, I have 3 full folders! No one can ever warn you about the number of hospital appointments that have to be attended. 

My skin redness is definitely peaking, 10 days on, red and angry although being soothed by the diprobase. 

Tonight, chocolate is definitely on the menu. I 💚 chocolate. 

https://exercise-anywhere.com/
Here’s a link for you Anxious

Thanks for your thought Anxious and Green Damsel

Walking in the hills sounds bliss - my favourite activity - although the way I puff up a slow incline it’s hard to imagine ever getting to the top of a big mountain again - but I will ⛰⛰⛰

I find poles really helpful going up and down - don’t tend to use them on the flat but did do a day’s taster session on Nordic Walking a couple of years ago - look for one of them Anxious they will teach you how to use - we did it in autumn on a walking festival week offering free sessions. 

Today the weather is so bad I am going to cook for the freezer 💨💨☔️☔️

Bibi, sorry to hear you’ve been unwell, hang on in there, only one to go and then it’s all over.  

I’m away for a long weekend in the hills just now, done a bit of walking but kept to routes where no poles required as I was told I’m not allowed to use them until 12 weeks post surgery so still have a month to go. Although there have been so many contradictory statements about what I should/shouldn’t do I have no idea if that’s right or not.

It’s been lovely even in the howling wind and torrential rain of storm Calum,  fresh air and a bit of exercise to get the blood going has been good for me.  Phone reception is patchy which is also a bit of a blessing as I really feel like I’m away from everything, even if it is only 90 mins from home. 

4 days post last rads and skin is looking normal but I’m continuing to moisturise etc.

Bibi - that is good news. You have the weekend and then one more to go........Smiley Happy

Yesterday I bought some walking poles in the hope I will get strong enough to do some Autumn walks. I am hoping the walking poles will help me exercise my arms and in particular my side where I had surgery.  I have no idea how to use them so I will be researching this at some point this weekend.

I have my bedroom window open and the birds are just starting to chirp away. Back in July this year I remember my 3 night stay in hospital after surgery, every morning, around 4am we, us patients, could only hear the squark of seagulls ( I do not live near the coast). There were no little birds chirping away. Now don't get me wrong I do like seagulls but somehow I view them differently when they live inland. 🔆

Thanks Anxious - I’m feeling more normal now - just had a v quiet day and eaten easy comfort food - tomato soup and rice pudding.

Only 1 more to go - Yey !

19/20

Have a good weekend everyone x

Hi Bibi,

I am sorry to hear that you have not been well. How are you now? Hugs.

Thanks Anxious 🤞

Im feeling pretty rubbish today - yesterday it was my hubby’s birthday and we went out for meal and theatre which was lovely but at end of night I was really sick - through all treatments I have never once thrown up but last night was terrible - don’t know what caused it but feeling the effects still - got an afternoon appointment so having a quiet morning in bed.😒

Hello,

yes the the plan is for a phased return as per guidance from plastic surgeon and oncologist, I see them both over the next 2 weeks.   But I’m all too aware of how keeping to only doing set hours can creep into longer days and it’s very hard for everyone else to work around it.  I am also the type of person, certainly before this, who would get very bored and frustrated if I didn’t have a lot to keep me occupied so managing only enough work to fill a few hours/days may be more demotivating than being back full time and being a bit tired at the end of the day. 

Will see what plan details my manager and I can come up with, he’s been very good and one of the voices saying to take the time now to fully recover.

Bibi - it is Friday, wishing you no treatment disruptions. 🌈I

Sort of in that I have a lot of leave to take so will hopefully work 4 day weeks. Difficult as my work involves a lot of travel 🤗😘

Sorry, I meant GreenDamsel. Smiley Happy

Bibi - another one ticked off. Smiley Happy

DamselGreen/Wombat Woo -  can I ask, will you be doing a phased return to work?

Take your time you guys and don’t go back until you are 110% - once you’re back you’re back is true in so many places and I don’t think many people really understand how debilitating fatigue is as opposed to just feeling tired. 

Its 40 weeks since diagnosis for me and will be 35 from start of chemo , through surgery and radiotherapy, with still 12 more Herceptin injections to go. It feels like a never ending journey, I’m retired so I don’t have to face the prospect of going back to work but I am hoping I regain energy not too long after finishing rads so I can start to enjoy my retirement again 🙂

Good luck to all you young people in your return to work.

Only 2 more to go !

Bibi

18/20

Yes Green Damsel if we don’t get it right now we will never get there xxx

Yep Anxiuos-Soul it seems wrong to be off when no longer going through treatment etc but as many people keep telling me we have been through a lot and need to recover and it’s a long time since we’ve been our pre diagnosis selves and have perhaps forgotten that it’s not ‘normal’ to always have aches and pains, fatigue and tiredness etc and need to get back to that ‘self’ before taking on the world.  

That all sounds very touchy feely but my husband has been saying this for a while now that this is the only time you get to recover otherwise you’ll always be playing catch up.  As someone who had not been sick for years, worked 10 hrs days and was very career driven this is a strange position to be in but I am going to be completely selfish about when I return. 

I get you GreenDamsel, especially your comment if you're back you're back. Also I don't want to set myself up to fail as I think if I return to work and then I go off again within 8 weeks I will not be entitled to any sick pay. For me, lots to consider. Smiley Happy

Hello,

I worked through chemo which was feb-July and stopped working a couple of weeks prior to surgery to try and recover a bit as I had a lot of joint pain so have been off since August.  I’m off until end October at the moment but am considering not returning until new year as I have lots of leave to use and whilst step up will be an option my work environment is the sort of place that if you are back you are back, no half measures so I want to get stamina and energy levels up before returning full time, but nothing set in stone yet.