Re: September 2018 Radiotherapy

Hi Maggie, good to know re the weight, l have been trying to lose weight and had just joined our local gym the month before I was diagnosed, l have resumed going again after recovering from surgery , anticipating that I may not be able to get there as often once the radiotherapy starts. I think my emtionse were up and down before due to starting menopause!!!Oh the joy of it all!

CJP forgot to mention I started Tamoxifen a month ago, so far not gained any weight, I’m chubby enough already.

I had to come off hormonal contraceptives & change PMT meds at the same time so I’m chalking up my emotional roller coaster of a month to those changes and hoping my GP was right about it all settling down in a couple of months.

I’m very thirsty, which a helpful friend told me was ‘in my head’ (honesty some people) but I drink a couple of litres of water a day now - which can only help the weight management I think.
Maggie x

Thanks Maggie sounds like really good advice for relaxing at the weekends!  CJPxxx

Hi ladies

I started my rads yesterday, my planning appointment was 2 weeks ago.  

Once you're in position, they did all the work moving me, just asked me to flop.  The treatment really is painless and there's a lot less wriggling about than in planning.

I haven't yet worked out how to get off the bed in a dignified manner, but I've 14 more attempts!

My schedule is daily, mostly evenings, and I'm able to drive myself as I only live 15 mins away from the hospital.  Anxious-soul your driver may be right, a routine may be supportive. 

I've 3 friends that have had rads before (different cancers) they all had long journeys, and said they were more tired from travel than from the treatment, so relax on your journeys to and fro. And you may want to plan very little for the weekend, to rest.

good luck ladies

Maggie x

Good morning to you too, anxious soul, glad all went well yesterday. My round trip sounds about the same distance and like you, for some strange reason I have been feeling tired of late without any apparent reason! It's really good that the staff were so lovely and reassuring as well. Do you have to go on Tamoxifen aftrrwards? I am quite bothered by some of the posts about the side effects from that as l don't need to gain any more weight and l get some joint stiffness and pain at times now, l blame my nursing career for that!  I  am still working in NHS which has helped re needing the time off through all this.Has it been ok getting time off for you? Sorry about all the questions, it's just good to talk to you about similair stuff!

Good morning CJP Harvelin,

yesterday went okay. The hospital transport worked well and I only had to wait 10 mins for my return journey. The round trip is around 80 miles. 

As always the staff were brilliant and gave me the reassurance I needed to hear. The driver on the way home was also reassuring and suggested that I would get into a routine. Basically to help me cope I closed my eyes and followed the clear instructions to move by body here and there so that the target points for radiotherapy could be set. The CT scan was okay too. I was quite tired so I took the opportunity to try and relax with the process. 

The staff mentioned fatigue which for me is a little of a worry as I am already very tired. I do have a break now though as my next appointment in on the 13/9.

I don't have a schedule as of yet but I have been told if you rely on hospital transport the session is usually in the afternoon. 

After yesterday I feel a little more settled and less anxious about going through the process.

I hope you have a similar experience. Smiley Happy

Good morning JaneBelinda, that you for your reassurance, reassurance always helps an anxious soul.Smiley Happy

Hi anxious soul, l hope all went well with your appt today, have they given you some dates and times of your sessions today? I know its an anxious time, l found the worse time for me came after the surgery,l was already off work and my mood was really up and down.l found out I needed radiotherapy when I got my biopsy results about a month ago. I was told by the radiotherapy oncologist that you might not have many symptoms for the first 2weeks then may get some fatigue after that and perhaps some skin irritation but not everyone gets these. He also said the effects may be more noticeable in the few weeks after treatment. I think that it might be the travelling that could be tiring! I just keep thinking that the radiotherapy will be worth it! Take care xxx

Hi Anxious Soul, I finish my rads on 4 Sept. Please don’t be too worried...it goes really quickly and I actually don’t mind my treatment sessions and find the whole procedure fascinating and quite sci-fi! 🙂 Painless procedure and the radiotherapy nurses (I’ve had mostly male) are all absolutely brilliant! I was able to get mine scheduled at the end of the day so as not to disrupt work too much. I hope yours go well for you xxx

Hi there yes I will let you know how I get on today. I am relying on hospital transport and so it may be long day, my appointment is 3pm this afternoon. I am feeling anxious. I am off work too. I would maybe feel less anxious if I was going to my local hospital. How are you feeling? 

Thank you for welcoming me . 

Hi there, l am waiting for my planning appt in leeds, hopefully this week after meeting the radiotherapy consultant and signing my consent and l was told that my radiotherapy should start around mid September as well. Taking time off from work now and probably for a couple of weeks after. Please let me know how you get on, l have a bit of a journey to get there each day, so not looking forward to that so much,bu  thing's could be worse xxx

Community Champion

ANxious-Soul

Hello and welcome to the forum and particularly this thread. 

I am sure that some of the ladies who started their rads in August and are finishing in September will be along shortly as well as those starting along with you.

If there are any questions you want to ask I am sure we will be able to help you

Helena xx

September 2018 Radiotherapy

Hi there, I have my planning appointment tomorrow, treatment starts mid September. Anyone out there who will be starting radiotherapy in Sept?