cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumours of radiotherapy

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: Rumours of radiotherapy

I have 15 sessions.  My daughter will take me up for the first 2 but as it’s early I think the rest will be up to me. There are 2 Saturdays with 2 Wednesdays off. Just looking forward to getting on with it.  The waiting isn’t great. I have a 14 year old son who will be on Easter holidays so hopefully he will be up when I get back! At least it’s not the summer holidays.

Community Champion

Nipper

Thats great now you know when you are starting.  Honestly I have read of many ladies on here with left side rads who have been concerned about the breathing and they have got through it.  Your rads team will talk you through every part of it and will ensure that you are comfortable at all times.

How many sessions are you having?

Helena xxx

Got planning appointment the 12th and start on the 28th. Most of my appointments are at 9.15am so early start (live 25 miles from hospital) but leaves the rest of the day to do things.  It is my left boob so probably holding breathe.  I will probably be so nervous won’t be able to do it.   Anyway onwards and upwards.

Great stuff Coco, the technicians do love it when you breathe in properly, don’t move and are in the right position straight away. 

And I love the pen marks. 

Hi Monicanatura

I've not been able to see much as they ask me to turn my head to the right to see the breathing screen and I have to take my varifocals off as its too close!!! Would really like to see whats going on properly but once I'm in position I daren't move!!! Techy did say on Fri that I got a gold star for lining myself up ... fluke lol. 

Hi Coco

Have you been watching the lines on the machine line up on your body? 

Iv been focused on the green lines on my body, then breathing in whilst focused on the lines. It’s a bit like meditation 🧘‍♀️ 

Focus on the line, take a deep breathe, then breathe. 

Lots of luck with your up and coming rads ladies. 

Hi Nipper. I’ve just started my rads - 2 down and 13 to go.  As others have said when you finally start it’s a relief to find how straightforward it is. The faffiest thing is getting lined up and for the first few session mine are doing xrays before treatment rays to ensure consistency of positioning which makes it a few mins longer.

I have to do the breath hold thing as it’s my left side and I was worried about this but you practice and they have this great gizmo which shows you your settled breathing and then when you have to do the deep breath there’s a moveable line I have to get inside another line which indicates where I should breathe to based on my CT scan practices. Sounds complicated but not. If yours is right side you won’t do this.

Finally, be prepared to run late. My appts are all after 3pm and have not been on time so far. I’ve spent this weekend planning food for the week and batch cooking (thanks Ladybowler) so there’s not that “what shall we eat” if you end up late. Am also going to eat main meal at lunchtime on my non work days, so tea can be light. 

I hope your planning session comes comes soon and you can get started.

Community Champion

Nipper

Oh flip I thought you had had all of that already and were about to start xx

So much for getting worked up! I only saw the Doctor today. Went through things I already knew. Apparently I have to wait another 2 weeks for the planning scan and then another 2 weeks for radiotherapy to start. What a saga! I think I was expecting too much. 😀

Hi,

I know what you mean about hearing all the rumours but it's not too scary at all.  I am on day 4 of rads today,  it takes longer to line you up on the machine than the actual treatment is a few minutes.  So far no side effects but I have stopped worked for the 4 weeks of rads so I can rest when/if I need to.

Using aloe vera gel which I put on in the changing room and drinking lots of water.

Hope all goes well for you keep us updated xx

Hi Nipper,

Totally understandable that you are anxious.

I had 15 rounds of radiotherapy, as Lady Bowler says the first session is the longest as they need to get your position right. After that it does become a daily routine. I was asked at my first Oncologist meeting when the best time of day would be best for treatment and they managed to give me that. My skin stayed ok throughout, I moisturised everyday just with my everyday body butter I had, I bought all this other stuff I had read about and didn’t use any of it!

Drink loads of water, about half way through I did start to feel fatigued but just rested when I could, this did continue for a while once treatment had finished.

Let us know how the planning meeting goes.

xxxx

Community Champion

Nipper

I know when I had it I explained that I was working four hours a day Mon-Wed, I was on reduced hours, and asked if I could have my apt on those days around 1pm as I could go straight from work, it was half way between home and the hospital.  On the whole they managed to do that for me on the other days I didnt mind as I would be going from home.  I was given my slots on the Friday for the following week. xx

Does the hospital let you pick your time of treatment or are you just given them?

Community Champion

Nipper11

As you say like everything you always read about people's worst experiences, the people who have had no problems at all dont post.  Like everything we go through in our treatment for bc, it is fear of the unknown and then once you have started that particular bit of treatment it is not as bad as you thought it would be.

I had 20 sessions of rads over 5 weeks.  To be honest it was the journey back and forwards every day that was what got to me.  I did have some soreness around the nipple area but on the whole my skin did not break down.  I moisturised 3 times a day and took my cream with me so that I could apply it when I was getting dressed again.  Drink plenty of fluids as that will help with any dehydration you might experience from the rads.

The first rads session is the longest as they go through all the measurements etc from the oncologist and they will probably have a chat with you before to go through what is going to happen so that can take about half an hour.  After that the whole thing takes about 10/15 minutes including getting into your gown and getting dressed again.

Your team will keep a good eye on you and how your skin is doing, if you are concerned about anything always ask them as they will be able to reassure you.

Helena xxx

Rumours of radiotherapy

Bit like when you have a baby you hear all the bad bits and not necessarily the good bits. I am dreading having my radiotherapy - planning Thursday!  I should stop looking at information. I am getting worked up. It’s in my make up I think - I did with my first mammogram and now I’m an old pro having had BC twice. Any reassurances would be great.