Re: Rads boosts

Hi runawaygirl248

I was worried about the breathing technique too.  If you have a look at the radiotherapy section on the cancer research website it talks about the breathing technique. You need to be able to hold your breath for about 17 seconds, so it’s worth practising a bit beforehand. I can just about manage it but it was useful to practice in advance. I’ve got through 9 of 20 sessions, so far but I shall be glad when it’s all over!

Best wishes for your treatment

F

Community Champion

runawaygirl

If you go to the April 2018 radiotherapy thread on here I am sure that there are ladies on there who are currently having rads on the left breast and they will be able to re-assure you on that part.

I remember when I went for my apt with my oncologist I had previously only ever been expecting 15 sessions and was told then that I would have 15 regular and 5 boosters on the tumour site.  I am 59 and mine was grade 1, tubular bc.  To add to it mine started 3 days before the xmas break which prolonged the whole by 4 days due to teh two bank holidays, but once you get started it does go quick.

Helena xx

Hi ladies

I had my Oncology appointment yesterday on day 11 of final chemo cycle and found out I was having 3 weeks of radiothetapy and then a booster week due to my age (39) and I believe because my tumour was a grade 3. Both my husband and I were shocked because this booster session had not been mentioned at anytime prior to this meeting. I understand why they are doing it but mentally I had prepared for 3 not 4 weeks so feel like its a little step backwards in recovery!

Also I will be told breath holding techniques during radiotherapy treatment as tumour was in left breast (to provide heart protection)..not looking forward to that!

Community Champion

Kaz

Yay you are third of the way through just think next week you will be half way through and on the path down towards end of active treatment xxx

Thanks so much for replies. I have already started my rads, 4 of 15 today so am thinking now that they won't tag boosters on at the end. Never thouight to ask at my appointments!

Kaz xx

Community Champion

Juno

I was the same when I was diagnosed I was told it would be about 15 sessions but it was only when I had my oncologist apt prior to the planning meeting that he confirmed it would be 15 plus 5 boosters, which is what I meant about knowing in advance of starting rads.

Helena xxx

I wasn't told about the boosts until I had my oncologist appointment a month after my operation - before this, I was told all long that it would be 15 days of radiology.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Kaz

Yes you are.  When I saw my oncologist he told me I would have 15 regular and 5 boosters.

Helena xx

Rads boosts

Hi, quick question. Are you told from the beginning if you will need booster rads?

Kaz xx