cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Radiotherapy May 19

150 REPLIES 150

Re: Radiotherapy May 19

TW142

Iโ€™m sorry you are having a rough time with your skin and also breakdown in communication with the hospital. Having spent years in the NHS I find itโ€™s something they excel at!! 

The area at my neck is my main problem. Been told to cover it but clothes irritate it so have left it open to the elements. I have got some hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines but they donโ€™t really seem to be doing anything. Phoned the hospital Friday and feel they think Iโ€™m whinging. Mind you maybe they have read my patient (dis)satisfaction form. 

We all all seem to be getting different advice re creams, treatment etc. I havenโ€™t had a dexa scan nor any bloods done for my Letrazole. Something else to chase up! 

Itsallgonetu 

We're with you and as someone who had to make an unscheduled trip to the hospital yesterday to get particular dressings, I can only sympathise with your discomfort. This was after they took 48 hours to respond to my initial call only to find out they had been repeatedly calling my old number which I specifically checked and watched them change at my very first appointment!  If someone can tell me how to reach the central NHS database I'd be very grateful as it continues to be wrong at every medical establishment I visit while the address is correct. One of us is wrong!

So yes, conflicting and nonsensical advice re dealing with sore skin. Hospital not allowed to recommend any specific cream unless there was proven research based evidence and GP advised me to speak to the hospital. It was only when I pushed back to the hospital and finally got a sensible nurse that she gave me some dressings which have helped as the skin under my arm is perilously close to splitting and the weekend was fast approaching (I.e. complete lack of any dedicated breast/radiotherapy care advice available because after all, we only have concerns Monday - Friday right?).

Re. Your concerns about the cancer finding a new home, this is a tricky one and one I guess we all face to some degree. I have had a few counselling sessions which have helped a little in contextualising this ghastly experience.  I am struggling, today at least, to find an end to this and when I can go back to work. Just when I feel on the up something else happens - very sore skin or wall of tiredness or brain disengaged again. All very tiresome now.

As for starting your drug, I have a blood test in July and have been told that as any changes to bone health are very gradual they will use that as the baseline. I'm assuming you've had or will have a bone density or DEXA scan.

Your follow up does seem a long way off. Does your hospital offer an Open Access clinic facility? That might be worth checking. And you can always see your GP. I have found mine very helpful, mostly remotely on the telephone, through all this.

I'm not sure my rant is very helpful to you but I feel better for letting off a bit of steam ! Hang in there!

Hi All

just catching up with all your posts - I feel a bit mean saying I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering more since my treatment ended than before!

It seems to be more painful and sore in different places every day - been topless in the house most of the time as this is most comfy.

Continuing to use the Biafine radiotherapy cream, nipple shields, anti histamine meds and cream, aloe vera cool pads, pain relief, anti inflammatory(if there's anything else to try please do tell!)

Had to start my anastrazole as I'm oestrogen positive, as no one seemed interested it checking my bloods pre treatment for a baseline I had them done privately for oestrogen, calcium and vit D which I believe are the main things affected by the oestrogen blockers- I wondered how they know if they are effective if they don't keep track of your levels.

The big thing I find a problem is that I now have no follow up until March next year - I am so scared that as my cancer was diagnosed as vascular those 'orrible little cancer cells will be floating about in my blood stream just looking for somewhere else to grow!

Is anyone else feeling this way?

When I have mentioned it to any of the nurses and support workers they just tell me everyone feels the same and give me pamphlets to read on dealing with it!

I want to but not able at present.

You lot are helping me more than anyone!

Iagtu x 

Drummerswiddow

Sorry to hear you're feeling low.  I felt like that after my surgery follow up when I was told everything was looking positive yet I felt nothing. I guess it hits us all at different times. Having sore skin will not be helping you at the moment. I have found Aloe good at cooling the skin but doesn't last long and doesnt really moisturise.

My skin too has started to flare up 8 days after finishing. I'm still waiting for the skin nurse to call me back following my call at 8.30am this morning......not impressed.

I hate it when people say to be kind to yourself (what does that even mean?) but after weeks of being irritated by this expression go watch a film, bake a cake, make something or go somewhere nice for tea and cake - just one small thing can sometimes help in lifting the mood. And follow up the medics tomorrow, as I will be doing.

Take care.

Been advised to use aloe Vera gel for my neck. 

Itโ€™s funny I finished my rads on Monday but I feel numb. Certainly donโ€™t want to celebrate! 

That seems mad them not recommending any creams!  I can recommend the QV cream and the Flamminal gel and they gave me those at the radiotherapy treatment centre - it was just about the first thing they did at my first session.  I would ask your GP if you donโ€™t get any joy when you phone.  You definitely need something to sooth the irritation and to moisturise.

Hi Rosiepop

No creams were given. When I asked about creams I was told they are supposed to recommend any. Not very helpful! Today the neck area feels as if itโ€™s really on fire. Iโ€™ll have to phone them tomorrow about it.

Hi Drummerswidow,

Did they give you any creams?  I was given QV cream and the Flaminal Gel (Hydro and Forte) to put in the sore and itchy bits.  I think it works quite well but only for a limited time period.  Whoever said itโ€™s like ants crawling around in your bra was bang on!  

Iโ€™m having a debate with myself about when to go back to work.  My BC nurse phoned to see how I was on Monday (a week after I had finished) and was very firm about not going back to work yet.  Sheโ€™s lovely and I think it was helpful for her be so directive as I feel very guilty about being off work.  But there is definitely something positive about getting back to work and feeling normal again.  She was concerned about the tiredness in particular and was pointing out that once youโ€™re  back, youโ€™re  back.  And I know thatโ€™s true.  But things move on in while you arenโ€™t there.  My boss and I have already discussed a phased return, which I am happy with.  Just going to have to keep working it through in my own head....

Highlighted

@Drummerswidow wrote:

Hi Ajay

Might have to ask for something for my burns. Itโ€™s soooooo itchy as well ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Hi, I had some itchiness, I use Diprobase and was told to apply 3 times a day and I have the Flamigel. It's 4 weeks since mt rads and my skin has gone brown after the pinkness. 

Happy days!

Hi Ajay

Might have to ask for something for my burns. Itโ€™s soooooo itchy as well ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Hi

I was given Flamagel cream which is very good for rad burns,just in case any ladies want to ask their GP for it xxx

Surrey eh? So you must be quite near. If I could work out how to PM you I would! Happy to stay in touch going forward.  Easy on the wine tonight -but enjoy it nevertheless!

@Livelifetothefull wrote:

Very emotional day today- both me & mum finished Radiotherapy & we rang that bell together, both in tears after- think itโ€™s relief itโ€™s over.

Just been out for a nice meal to celebrate.  Will be strange not going to Leeds & back daily, but a relief to try get back to normality. 

Boob getting redder by the day- just hoping thatโ€™s all it does.

Wishing you and your mum a speedy recovery just keep putting the moisturiser on three times a day and drink lots of water is good to celebrate the end of radiotherapy and just try to move forward in whatever way you can take care xx

TW142- Glass of wine tonight which makes me glow a lot but is my celebration. I'm in Surrey.

Yay! Well done! Hope you are celebrating tonight?!

I'm having acupuncture which I'm finding helpful. Where are you based? I'm in SW London.

๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””

I've also finished today- yippee!

Skin also  red and nipple v sore and sensitive. Just need to keep slapping on the cream and drinking for tiredness.

All you wonderful ladies have been such a help and I have felt that I have not been alone whereas without you I would have been very alone. Someone has experienced all the issues in some way and hints and tips and encouragement is brilliant and so inspiring.

I will  return for reflexology, reiki and acupuncture sessions - more firsts for me. I decided to take all help on offer and give these a try to aid relaxation and sweats.

Can we please keep in touch for a bit longer until skin settles then bring the rest of life on!!

love to you all ๐Ÿ˜˜

Congratulations both!

Very emotional day today- both me & mum finished Radiotherapy & we rang that bell together, both in tears after- think itโ€™s relief itโ€™s over.

Just been out for a nice meal to celebrate.  Will be strange not going to Leeds & back daily, but a relief to try get back to normality. 

Boob getting redder by the day- just hoping thatโ€™s all it does.

Huge Congrats!๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‘Œ

Huge Congrats!๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‘Œ

Rosiepop

Thanks so much for posting the article- really interesting and helpful.

Sorry to hear about your skin. Mine feels like sandpaper down my bra and this is only day 5 post RT so goodness knows how much worse this will get!

@Drummerswidow wrote:

Had my last Radiotherapy this morning! ๐Ÿฅ๐Ÿฅ๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””

๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒž Wehay!! Another step forward. I hope you're having a relaxing evening!

Look after your skin and keep drinking the water ๐Ÿ˜˜xx

Had my last Radiotherapy this morning! ๐Ÿฅ๐Ÿฅ๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””

Hi all,

Donโ€™t know what I was thinking when I said I thought my skin reaction had peaked three days after last session - wishful thinking!  Has been unbelievably itchy and skin has broken down under breast, which I believe is pretty common.  I found some info on why the skin behaves as it does which I have found really helpful in understanding what is going on and trying to be more patient.  Here is the link -

ltht-managingradiotherapyinducedskinreactions-oct2011.pdf

Best wishes to you all, whatever stage youโ€™re at xxx

Last Radiotherapy tomorrow. Skin is looking red and is itchy especially at the neck node area.

Had my review on Friday with the MacMillan radiographer. Was interesting. Apparently I should have been given a card with her number to contact if I had problems and other information at my chat after the planning. Didnโ€™t get any of this. She and I werenโ€™t happy. Nearly all the information I have got is from this forum. I have been given a patient satisfaction form to fill in. I will do as I donโ€™t want others to be in the same situation. 

Hi ladies, 

Me & my mum finish our radiotherapy on 11th June, which happens to be my wedding anniversary- so a double celebration.

Just got back from a brisk walk, as was feeling tired, it has perked me up a bit, but I was unable to run as boob feels sore & tender lately.  Iโ€™m moisturising well as you ladies have advised & looks like will continue to do so for 2-3 weeks after. 

Thanks for sharing all your experiences, as helps to read that others feel how you do.  Iโ€™m very emotional at the drop of a hat nowadays- but think thatโ€™s the Tamoxifen. 

Take care xx

Community Champion

Well done all you lovely ladies who have finished their rads and completed active treatment.   My advise is to keep up the fluids and cream.   Hit a tired spot (fatigue)? go for a quick walk when you feel it coming on, I found this helped me loads and got me through it rather than taking a nap.   Check you back and shoulders also as I have a lovely red patch appear after rads were complete.  Never thought to check the back but it was a bit pink so worth just creaming that area to keep it at bay and well moisturised.     Those who have just finished and I am sure you have been told that the rads will continue to work for the next 10/14 days when all will peak.  Took a tad longer with me more 15/20 when all peaked.   If you have changes and or break down of the skin, don't suffer just give your rads team a call and they will advise what to do and if need be they will check you out.   Emotions!!  whaoooo, have a good ole cry and don't be afraid to, I did and think it was because everything had stopped and had that little bit of thinking time to reflect.   The redness, the soreness, the BCN thats what they are there for.    

Anyway ladies enjoy the time of not having the treck to the hospital everyday.  My problem wasn't the treatment it was the 1 hour trying to park the car!!.  Hospital car parks are never big enough.

Where are all you lovelies based.  I am in South Derbyshire. 

Have a good evening and hope you ladies keep in touch with each other and this is a great place to be.   

Hope my lickle bit of advise helps and you start those steps of moving forward. 

xxxxxxxx    

Hello lovely May ladies, so pleased to read that many of us are now finished with this stage of this ๐Ÿ’ฉ journey. I am now two week post treatment and my boob is starting to feel almost like normal now.๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜but, for a few days it felt like I had ants in my bra and was the colour of liver! A bit weepy around my nipple and very sore! Some cream from the doctors and nursing pads soon sorted it out but it felt like I had caught my nipple in a vice! Ouch. So, please donโ€™t suffer in silence, a quick call to the radiotherapy dept and they got me sorted with a scrip sent direct to my GP. I hope those still to finish get there soon, just remember we will still be holding your virtual hand and thinking of you while youโ€™re being zapped! Hugs

Hi all,

Well done to everyone else who has finished!  I had my last session on Monday.  Felt really flat and bleak.  Low mood was something which started last week, along with feeling weepy.  I think that is how the fatigue has shown itself with me - tired and emotional.

Anyway, that has lifted now and feeling much better.  I think it was all just catching up with me.  So much thinking time when you aren't at work.  I have started a retrospective cancer diary to help me process stuff.   Sounds more grim than it is - writing it up, including all the different appointments etc, brings home what I and all if you have been/are going through.  And mine was only very early stage cancer, caught through screening programme.  Anyway, seeing it written down brings home the reality of it all and makes me feel less of a fraud for not being at work right now.

My skin is very, very itchy and whole breast is very tender with little stabbing pains on occasion.  All copeable with but I would say overall, more uncomfortable than post-surgery.    My sense is that the reactions might have already peaked, but time will tell.

Good luck to everyone else still in the thick of it.  Onwards! 

Xxx

Congratulations itsallgonetu, TW142 & anyone else thatโ€™s just finished. Hopefully weโ€™ll all have healed (physically anyway )in a few weeks. Just have to remember to keep up the arm exercises ,usually the last thing I feel like doing. 

Best wishes to all xx

Ta TW142

Well done itsallgonetu!  Congratulations!

Yes, finished today, no bell but had a good laugh with the radiographers and made one of them promise to make a recipe for my follow  up appt  from the cookery book I gave her by way of thank you for talking nonsense to me during the treatments to stop me freaking out.  She's a hopeless cook apparently.

I too filled my days with at least one nice thing - coffee/ lunch or usually a nice walk.  Skin is fine so far so keeping fingers crossed.

Celebrated today with a nice lunch with a friend and so glad I did or it would have  been a huge anticlimax just coming home.

Good luck to others finishing or about to finish.  The end is in sight. Now need to focus on mending the mind. Not quite so easy.

Hi everyone

I also finished my treatments today and rang the bell! I posted last the day before I began.

I must say all those days of getting up so early wiped me out, had lots coffees etc with friends to keep me going but then was zonked

After 10 sessions started to get red spotty and sore, my nipple feels like it's being scraped with sharp glass when I catch it on my clothes. The boost site looks the worst.

Nothing has broken down yet but I think the team are expecting it to as they have given me lots of dressings and aquaform hydrogel. I used biaffine radiotherapy burn cream and aloe vera for itching, so did my best to avoid but it's a burning treatment so difficult to avoid.

The team suggested I try nipple shields(like for breast feeding) which mean I'm able to put a bra on for short periods, otherwise I am really most comfy topless! How embarrassing.

If anyone else has any tips I would certainly appreciate them.

will be keeping an eye on this thread but I suppose I have to move on to the first few weeks after active treatment is finished.

Good luck to all May radiotherapy patients. 

Hi TW142,

Thanks , I did finish today but I came away feeling a bit flat, not sure why?Felt a bit emotional when the radiographer said โ€œthis is your last oneโ€ but was relieved that they were finally finished. There was hardly anyone to witness my bell ringing, just my partner & receptionist . Maybe you could have a photo leaving the unit instead of ringing a bell. Iโ€™ll be thinking of you tomorrow , so hope everything goes ok ,just think itโ€™s the last one.

The paperwork states we have to watch for skin changes for up to 21 days. Iโ€™m very pink now & a bit sore so hope the changes are not too severe.

plan to have a couple of days relaxing & hopefully a good shopping spree toward the end of the week.

Best wishes for tomorrow & beyond xx

Annie travel

Thank you! Yes, I have arranged lunch with a friend and hubby and I are off to Cornwall for a long weekend on Friday  so hoping the weather brightens up as it's not looking too clever at the moment.

I've  also had a free acupuncture session today which I am hoping will alleviate some of the hormone I duced symptoms as well as promote  general wellness. Really nice guy so am optimistic, though if you read his website you could be forgiven for thinking it is sheer quackery!! Still, if it works in China it must be worth a try!

Thanks again for the bells, really appreciate it. Perhaps we should set up a new thread for post RTin a week or so when this May group has caught up?

Hi everyone,

Iโ€™ve looked for a bell on internet but Iโ€™m not clever enough to cut and paste it on here but there are some in other threads. ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ›Ž๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””- so these for all those finished or about to finish.

I go on into next week for 2 more sessions  because โ€˜myโ€™ machine is being serviced on Friday but I can see a bit if light at the end of the tunnel.

It is also a huge help to hear how you are all doing for these few weeks after - I still really appreciate the hints and tips and support. It is a lonely journey otherwise.

I hope you get some celebration of some sort or a โ€˜rewardโ€™ for yourself TW142- hang on in there for the last one! ๐Ÿ‘

livelifetothefull and your Mum - is it ok for you both? 

Love and strength to everyone

P67Anne

So did you finally finish today???  I finish tomorrow, still have a wave of panic each time and can't wait for this episode to be over. Then it seems we wait for the skin eruption!

No bell here and complete surprise when I asked about it- and that's at a leading cancer hospital! So I think tomorrow will be an anticlimax. 

I hope you have something joyous planned for the rest of the week and beyond!

Community Champion

Hi ladies.  Sorry just catching up here.  Did you manage to fine the thread ?

first few weeks after rads?

if you type in the search st the top of this page it should appear.   

Glad those who have read it realise they are definitely not on there own and we have been there to.   Have a good weekend.   Bit quiet here after last weekend and my daughters wedding.   Xx๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’“

Hi ladies

My mum& I are on day 8 of 15 now.  Both feeling ok- just a little tired- boob feels sensitive but not sore- yet.  Using Aveeno cream am & aloe Vera pm.

I went on a leaving doo at work last night for a meal, felt a bit guilty being there as I have a sick note for the duration of radiotherapy.  But I wanted to say bye to a dear friend & feel well enough to be out & about.  

They have a bell here in Leeds and Iโ€™ve heard it rung a few times.  Itโ€™s very emotional- everyone- staff, patients & relatives all stop what they are doing & clap & cheer- brings a tear to my eye. Probably be a blubbering wreck when me & my mum ring it. 

Its a lovely group, itโ€™s helpful reading what others are going through- not just the physical symptoms of breast cancer- but the emotional ones it leaves you with- that people who have not been through it may not appreciate.  

Thanks ladies & Good luck with the rest of your treatments xx

Community Champion

Hi pastasmissus

sorry to hear your skin has broke down. Similar happened to me on day 14.  Ring your rads team get their advice.  My team were almost expecting my call!!  Mine wasnโ€™t to bad so just had to stop creaming and allow to heal and dry out a little.  Once healed I went back with the cream and still do today 11 month on.    Everything will be peaking now so keep check on the area including g your back.  I had a lovely red patch on my back where rads had hit.    Take care and have a good day x ๐Ÿ’“

Aww pastamissus thatโ€™s a shame. Hope it heals up soon xxx

2 weeks after radio finished I have a glorious patch of 'sunburn' with some blisters. I though I'd got away with it!

Good Morning Everyone,

Will be 13/15 sessions today, should have been my 14th, but because of a cancellation

at my unit (tech problems) I'm behind. Just want to get them over and done with now. Can 

identify with TW142, felt overcome with panic at one session last week which came completely 

out of the blue.I had a sudden urge to jump off the table, but didn't, was praying for that session to end.

Best wishes to everyone having their rads today xx

@Drummerswidow wrote:

Hi Gill 3105.

where is the thread you were talking about please? Canโ€™t seem to find it.

Hi

If you type in the search box above this thread:

'First few weeks after ringing that bell'

You should find it

xx

Hi Gill 3105.

where is the thread you were talking about please? Canโ€™t seem to find it.

Thanks Annietravel for articulating my thoughts more clearly.  Yes, frustrating that one can be sensible, rational and pragmatic and yet be completely floored by this experience. I sometimes feel I'm living in a parallel universe!

I'm gong out for tea tomorrow so at least have that to look forward to as I look up at the not very inspiring picture on the ceiling of the radiotherapy room!  You'd think they could do better!

Hi all,

thank you Gill for showing the positive of side of life after - will look at your thread. TW142 - big hugs - wish we had treatment together and we could chat - maybe I'll chat to you in my head tomorrow while I'm holding on to the end of my session - then we can have a virtual coffee! I had a crumble with the radiotherapist at my review on Tuesday which helped. I also told the girls zapping me I was struggling and they talked me through. I have always considered I'm very sensible and rational but these 60 seconds every day do my head in.

This all shows we are all different, our journeys follow a pretty set route but then our bodies and minds behave differently, we come from every conceivable different life journey and who knows how we will each react. This is why you are all so special in sharing hints, tips and encouragement.

Bell rang at my hospital today- normally no one talks in the waiting area then when it rang everyone clapped and smiled!

hope tomorrow goes well. How are those who have finished - how does your skin feel?

TW142- I'm with you!!

xxx

Thank you Gill, I just read several posts and what a relief to hear others feeling the way I do. Just great, I'll read it all tomorrow but thank you for sharing.

๐Ÿ˜˜xx

Thanks Gill3105, will take a look at your thread!

12/15 tomorrow and have felt increasing panic at each session! Really can't explain it especially as I know the drill now but feel the panic rising during the second part of my very short treatment. Giving myself a good telling off is not working so well!  Hey ho, at least only  a few more of this ghastly experience to get through.

I have not heard a bell at my hospital and don't think there is one. I haven't felt like asking but might do tomorrow. I can imagine it must be either be cathartic, or an anticlimax!

Good luck all for the end of the week and it looks set to be a lovely weekend, down South at least!

Community Champion

hi ladies. Itโ€™s lovely to see a little

club growing with you lovelies.  It really helps and helps each other as you all know what each other is going through and more importantly what each other is talking about and every little bit helps.     I was part of a super group all going through rads together and still friends today and judging waiting on one more to have their first mammo then for the big meet and canโ€™t wait!!    Take a look at our thread as it might just help you ladies when you have completed your active treatment.  Itโ€™s called those first few weeks after treatment is finished.   Worth a read and I am sure it will help once you rads are complete.  Will also make you smile.    Hope your treatments are going well and you will all be ringing that bell before you know it.   Have a great evening all