Community Champion

Re: October 2018 Radiotherapy

Fezzy

Glad I was of help,  It is the same with every step we take on this journey, fear of the unknown and then when it happens it is not quite as bad as we think.once we get going xxxx

JWD
Is your seroma getting smaller or larger as you've had 2 sessions already. I've a seroma too they said it draining on it's own must be able to tell on the scan.
Take care
Susan xx
JWD

That's such a journey for you. It's the travelling that will probably tire you out as the treatment is so quick. When they did a scan this morning all my measurements had changed they work in milimetres and they wasn't happy.i think I have a seroma so until I go tomorrow I'm not sure what will happen. It's reassuring that they like to be so exact. Susan yours will be done and dusted before you know it. Xxx

Hi JWD
Oh dear sorry you've got to go through planning again as if there isn't enough to cope with. Wonder what they mean about lung volume, do let us know if you dont mind telling. X

Do you know how long before a session you can apply cream, most of my sessions are late afternoon and I have been using E45 in the morning and at lunch time then before bed.

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. I start on the 11th so that's Thursday then Friday. Weekend off then full 5 days for 2 weeks and 3 days the last week.
I'll be a seasoned traveller then I hate the idea of travelling almost an hour for 15/30 mins then an hour home.
JWD

Hello all.. day 3 today but couldn't go ahead as the measurements were not right something to do with lung volume and they wasn't happy. I have had seromas so whether it's that. I've got to go tomorrow for maybe another planning scan.
Fezzy I have heard of a lot of ladies that have to have 5 extra sessions so i wouldnt worry.xxx

Hi, I also had the 15 + 5 boosters through August - I found it manageable, it did involve travelling into London on the bus/underground, but most days I would incorporate a coffee shop, or a walk around parts of London I didn't know ( lol, saw Changing of the Guard quite a few times as it was only a short hop further on the tube )  -  possibly I was very lucky, but side effects were minimal and manageable - for me, I was using Dr Hauschka Rose Body Oil on the area, as my daughter invested in it for me, though I did get the area under-boob with some redness and dryness, and the nipple was a bit dry towards the end of treatments, but all in all, it went okay.  Timings varied, so I saw different staff and different patients, but I'm a 'talker' and chatting to new people was good for the soul, and all the staff were superb.  I wish you well, I am sure it will be fine for you, and once you start ticking off the days, then the end is in sight. Hugs aplenty.

Hi Helena.   Thank you for your reassuring reply that has helped a lot with my anxiety, xx

Community Champion

Fezzy

I had exactly the same as you, 15 regular and 5 boosters (on the tumour site).  I didnt have any more effects from having them.  I made sure I drank plenty of fluid every day usually 2 litres to ensure that I helped with any potential dehyradtion effects from the rads, took my E45 with me so that I could apply it immediately after each session which helped.  I actually found the last 5 a lot easier, they are not as long because the area they are targetting is smaller, I was in and out much quicker than when I was having the regular ones. 

Helena xxx

Hi ladies, I have got my planning on the 17th October, so I may just qualify for the October radiotherapy club. I have been told I will have 15 sessions plus 5 targeted where the tumour was, has anyone else had this many sessions and will it lead to more effects from the radiotherapy. Fezzy xx

[ Edited ]

JWD

I'm lucky my journey is only10-15 minutes. That's added stress though it you don't like traveling
I will be honest though I nearly bottled it lol🤦🏻‍♀️ You will get through it..I think once the first one is over with and you know what to expect it gets easier. Take care xxx

Hi jWD
Pleased you got 1st session over with. I felt like doing a runner too lol.
My hubby and so we're chatting on the journey as I was in two minds whether to go ahead with treatment but realised it was just nerves.
I'll be ok now I've done the journey once and timed it. I'm not a very good traveller.

Yes we can do this!!!!
JWD

Hello ladies. First one today.. 1 down 14 to go! I was so anxious and at 1 point I nearly did a runner literally!! The staff were so understanding. In nervous situations when lying down I have a fear of choking but I think it's all the stress of my husband at the minute making me worse. It was fine though it was so quick and over before I knew it. The staff were so reassuring and put me at ease.
Susan I've been having seromas too since planning scan but when you start they can tell by tattoo marks if there's any build up of fluid.
I'm a really anxious person in scan like situations but coped so anyone starting please try not to get anxious it's over so quick. We can all do this💪💪💖

Had planning today I start on 11th Oct
I was a bit stressed as I have IBS and it had kicked in due to anxiety.
No need really they were very kind and considerate even though I had to make numerous trips to the loo. I didn't hold anyone up as I was concerned about that.

My seroma is slowly going away without draining and hope rads don't make it worse.

At least 3 people rang the bell can't wait for my turn.
Susan xx

[ Edited ]

Hello Ktk,

So pleased you are now at the end-in-sight session of chemo, you helped me with advice re TM op at the very beginning in the dark days of diagnosis, so many thanks for that 😊 ...

I, and other ladies, (who have now ended up on the First Weeks after Ringing That Bell thread) all completed rads pretty recently, and would be delighted to offer any advice and reassurance in turn, to anyone who has a burning question..(no pun intended btw 😏) .between us all there’s a lot of ‘zap’ experience !!  - so please ask away if needed...

Well done you, just this to get through now and it’ll whizz past ! 

Thistle xx 

Hi Appletree

Thanks so much for all the information very thoughtful of you. I'm from Rotherham so it's a 45/50 minute journey.

Hope I can take all the info in on my planning tomorrow pity I can't take my hubby in with me he remembers what they say as I'm probably a bit nervous to take it all in.

Thanks for the tip about getting into robe on first visit. Xx

Yes I've been told about complimentary treatments but not decided on anything yet. I'll probably just want to get through the session and go home.

Im a keen crafter making cards and gift boxes etc this is my therapy and keeps me sane. Lol

Thanks again
Susan xx

By the way, Susie, as you are having your treatments in Sheffield Weston Park, have you been told about the four complementary therapy sessions the Cance Support Centre offers, free of charge, to patients going through radiotherapy (and chemo too)? You will see the Centre in a Victorian house, to the left of WP Hospital main building. 

The Centre is part of WP Hospital and is staffed by qualified nurses with general help from volunteers. Cancer patients and their carers are welcome to drop in at any time on weekdays, and are promptly offered a drink and a biscuit. They are very kind and supportive. The complementary therapies, provided by qualified professonals, include general massage, Indian head massage, reflexology, reiki, shiatsu and acupuncture.

If you live in Sheffield, the Cavendish Centre also offers support to cancer patients and will allow you four complementary therapy sesssions in addition to those at WP CSC. The same therapists are involved.

Here's hoping all goes well for you.

[ Edited ]

Hello Susie

I had my rads at Sheffield Weston Park and can confirm they are very kind and supportive. If you are seeing edited as per t's &c's (clinical oncologist) he is an absolute gem. The couch is not exactly designed for afternoon naps, but the radiographers are very helpful when getting you on and off again. About half way through my treatments I had a little tearful session, and the radiographers were very reassuring and considerate. By the time I reached the last week, I was well used to going straight into the reception area, getting my gown on, sitting at the appropriate spot and waiting to be called.

The radiographers at my first session pehaps could have explained a little more. It was not immediately obvious that, once you've announced your arrival at the desk and been told which machine you're assigned to, you are expected to go to one of the cubicles, take off your upper clothes, put them in a wire basket you keep with you and put on a blue gown that wraps around in front. Then, after your session, you return to a cubicle, leaving your blue gown in the bin next to the set of shelves holding the clean gowns.

It's all obvious once you're used to it, but at first I found I was in a bit of a daze and annoyed a radiographer by sitting down, fully clothed, and waiting to be told when to get robed up!

Don't worry, you're in a good place.

ktk

I had my planning meeting last Friday and will start 18 sessions of rads on 30th, so I’ll join the November thread when it opens too. Last Docetaxol next Wednesday. Hooray!!!! Kxx
JWD

I'm at Newcross Wolverhampton. I'll let you know how it goes. Jo. Xxx