Community Champion

Re: October 2018 Radiotherapy

Charlie

Hello and welcome.  Honestly the thought of the rads is worse than actually having it.  Your oncologist will not have agreed to the planning meeting if they did not think you were ready for it.

Keep in mind that generally you do not hear about ALL the ladies who have never had a problem with rads, which is a shame as it helps to reassure those ladies who are coming up to it.  I had 20 sessions over a 5 weeks period.  I worked, albeit only 4 hours a day for 3 days a week, after which I would have my rads. Apart from a tender nipple I really did not have any real side effects, the skin went dark during the period I was having the rads and for a few weeks after but that was it.

I think the worst part of it is the to and fro of the daily apts and at one point I had had enough of this apt controlling my life, had a wobble cried a lot on my lovely rads nurse and then got on with it.

They will recommend what cream to apply, you should aim to put it on 2/3 times a day.  Try and maintain your fluid intake as well as that will help with any potential dehydration you might experience from the rads, and just listen to your body it will tell you when you need to rest.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

JWD

Hi Charlie. I wouldn't worry by the time you start you will be at least 8/9 weeks post mastectomy and some ladies start as early as 6 weeks. Are you moisturising the scar now because if not it might be worth doing so and then when you start make sure you moisturise regular daily and drink plenty of water as hydration is the key..you will be fine. Jo.xxx

Hi Charlie101
I am worried about the SE too but I've prepared my skin beforehand and after each session and a few times through the day.

Was considering doing a runner at my first session lol but the actual treatment is easy it the travelling that's my problem. Want to give myself the best chance of it not recurring so I'll count the days until done.

They told me what cream to use and I'll get a review on my fith session so they can check out how my skins doing etc. and any concerns I might have.
I'll cross that bridge when and if it developes but I'm sure they'll help and advise.
Just drink loads and moisturise a lot that's all I can do for now.
Susan x

I am going to the Planning session on Friday and had a masectomey 7 weeks ago and it's still tender and a bit swollen.  I am so worried as I have read that women have got weeping burns, bags of pus etc... Ia m seriously thinking of saying no due to the side effects......

3/15 done getting the hang of this.all my appointments are for 4.10pm and tomorrow 6.10pm. Been an hour delay today so getting used to eating later than normal.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.
Susan xx
JWD

Hope you have all had a lovely weekend💖💖 7th one done today! 8 to go not like im counting🙄 traffic was really bad this morning so took longer to get there and back. Hope everyone's goes ok today. Jo xxx
JWD

Have a lovely weekend enjoy the 2 day break.xxx

Hi
2/15 rads done. Another delay today about 40 minutes so another late evening meal.
Weekend break so hope you all have a relaxing weekend.

Susan x

Hi lovely ladies. Caroline ask for some hydrocortisone cream if the itching is annoying I was also given some cool pads to Put in the fridge which really helped. 🤗😘
JWD

Hello Susan glad your first one went well with no problems. Get tomorrow's done and you can have 2 days off.😀
Have a lovely evening all. Xxx🤗

Hi Caroline
I'm sure your heart will be fine as mine will be.
I've E45 lotion and diprobase was saving the diprobase for half way through as I've read on forum that's about average for SE. I'll see how I go.

Chilling out now after a late Tea.
Take care Susan x

Hi all
Just got through my first session pretty quick after an initial delayed start. Coped with the travelling even though traffic was heavy.

Second one tomorrow then weekend. Full week next week, I'll get through once I've settled into travelling.
Lovely staff at Sheffield they put me right at ease.

Take care Susan xx

I'm the same, left breast and a possibility of lung and maybe heart getting the odd zap. I was meant to do the breath hold technique but I breathe with my stomach rather than chest apparently so they told me not to bother in the end as I couldn't create enough of a gap. I've decided not to worry about it and just hope my heart will be fine!

I've completed 11 out of 18 now, and have developed a lovely rash over the past few days after not really having any skin issues for the first 7 or 8 sessions. Ah well! Smothering on plenty of diprobase cream twice a day, which keeps the worst of the heat and itchiness at bay. 

Hope everyone else is doing well? Smiley Happy

Caroline xx

JWD

It's all so complex this radiotherapy. Mine was left breast too but apparently my heart is out of the way.they told me me they need to zap some of my lung to get the chest wall. That was the problem last week on the 3rd day not enough lung was on scan.xx

Good luck with the breathing Susieone. I didnt have to do that - I don’t think they do it in every centre st the moment.

Seems to make sense though. I love anything with a bit of extra tech !!! 🤗

BC in left breast. Have to hold breath after I inflaiting lungs moves heart to middle of chest out of way. Goggles have a blue bar and a bouncing white bar which moves when I breath.
I inhale through nose until white bar is in blue bar then hold breath for about 15/20 seconds it's easy enough.
I'm having whole breast treated so I presume I've to do this 2 or 3 times I'll know tomorrow.

Susan x

BC in left breast. Have to hold breath after I flaring lungs in moves heart to middle of chest out of way. Goggles have a blue bar and a bouncing white bar which moves when I breath.
I inhale through nose until white bar is in blue bar then hold breath for about 15/20 seconds it's easy enough.
I'm having whole breast treated so I presume I've to do this 2 or 3 times I'll know tomorrow.

Susan x
JWD

Have you. I dont have to do the breath holding..what are the goggles for? Xx

Thats good news JWD you've completed a third already soon be done.

I'm ok now ready to get going so I can get to the end lol. I'll let you know how I coped with my first session.ive got cool goggles to wear for my breathing. 😎

Take care x
JWD

Thanks wombat 🤗