Re: November 2018 Radiotherapy

Lovely to hear from you Lilacmoon and that you are doing well, I am getting a bit apprehensive about the rads but sure I will be fine when the first one is over with. my sister has just rung the bell (she was diagnosed a month before me with DCIS )so has given me an in site as to what happens, I will take the advise to take painkillers beforehand after my back went into spasm during planning and couldn't get off the bed without help, hope that doesn't happen again. It is a bit daunting to think about having to make the journey 20 times but I suppose it will become routine after a while.     Fezzy x

Just dropping in to see who is on the latest wave of Rad treatment!!!
Fezzy, Im so glad that the system kicked in and that you have your dates 👍👍👍
I finished rads 16 weeks ago now and it feels like a lifetime has passed since then.
Mine were at a hospital about 30 miles away and going on the M25 threw a spanner in the works, but most of the time it was a clear run. 2 and a bit hours round trip and sometimes for a session where I was in and out in under 10 min.
Still to this day apply Aveeno although through treatment I used Aloe Vera moisturiser and gel. The gel was lovely and cooling straight after my treatment. To this day, if I have a hot shower or bath, I can see a very faint pink line of were the rads ended half way up my chest, but apart from that everything is settled.
I used to take a couple of paracetamol about half an hour before my treatment just to ward off any armpain but I was ok throughout so Im not sure if it was the tablets or mind over matter!!!
And drink lots of water!!!!!
Good luck 😻😻😻
Community Champion

mavit

There is a form that you will need to complete, then the GP signs it, it then gets sent off and about a week later you will get your medical exemption card which is valid for 5 years, or up til you are 60 when you get free prescriptions anyway.  I only had mine for 18 months as I was then 60 Smiley Happy xx

hi Mavit don't know if this helps but I have been getting Aveeno from Morrison's its been on offer for a few weeks at half price still £4  but not too bad so I have been stocking up, don't know how long this offer is on for or if it's in every store.  Fezzy x

Hi Helena
Yes good point ! My GP did tell me that I qualified for a medical exemption card so entitled to free prescriptions. I will mention it to my GP when she calls me before my Rads start as I have a tele interview arranged .. thanks x
Community Champion

mavit

just a thought are you going to be on hormone blocking tablets?  If so you are entitled to free prescriptions for the time that you are taking them and that includes any other medications you might require during that time regardless if it is related to your bc or not.  Perhaps you could get your GP to do a prescription for the Aveeno.

Helena xxx

Community Champion

mavit

That is totally natural to have those worries, however I can assure you that with time it does get easier, I no longer go to sleep or wake up thinking about it.  I am two years post surgery and nearly 20 months post rads.

That is a long journey to undertake each day, I can certainly understand why your team have suggested as they have.  It might be a good idea to discuss this with your employer to see if there is any way that you can work from home or that your GP signs you off for the time that you are having the rads, but if you do remember if you do work from home you should only do your phased return hours even when you are at home

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Hi Sarah , good luck with the Rads

Hospital did mention Aveeno but I understand that this is quite expensive. A lot of women I have spoken to have used acqueous cream which I understand is cheap for a big tub and just apply it few times daily .

I will be applying this a week before my Rads start to ensure my skin is soft/ supple plus get me in the routine of applying body cream . X

Hi Helena, I do worry about the future and about recurrences . It is going to be a challenge me getting through the next 6 months .

Yes the radiologist did say to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration and fatigue. Unfortunately for me I will have to travel 30 miles to hospital ( total journey is 60 miles ) daily which is just over an hour ..
I also commute to work daily which is 60 miles daily and currently on a phased return to work . 3 days week ( 12 hours total) this May increase .

It will not be practical for me to drive to work then drive to hospital and then drive home again so I’m not sure yet whether I will be expected to work from home or be signed off work for the month . Will see how I feel whilst going through treatment x

hi Sooty I am starting rads on 31st and have been using E45 or Aveeno which I will continue during rads, my sister who has just finished her rads (we were diagnosed within a month of each other) used Aloe Vera but not all radiologists advise this, but she was also given cream to use by the hospital.  Best wishes Fezzy x

Hi!

I’m starting rad treatment on a Monday so thought I’d join the November group as will mostly be treated in November :-)

Has anyone bought any creams to use on their skin afterwards?!

I’ve been told to drink lots of water and do a bit of excercises each day during treatment... going to try and work through it (I work 2.5 days/week) but will depend on possible fatigue I guess ?!

Hope all goes well for you all anyway Smiley Happy

Sarah X
Community Champion

mavit

To be honest again it is fear of the unknown as with every stage of our treatment, but honestly once you get the first one over with, that tends to be the longest as they check all the measurements etc., that your oncologist has given them, it only takes about 15 mins from undressing to dressing.

I worked, albeit only 12 hours a week, throughout my rads and drove myself to all my appointments, but then it was only 6 miles each way so not that far. 

Make sure you take in plenty of fluids every day as that will help with any potential dehydration effects from the rads and just listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to rest.

Helena xxx

November 2018 Radiotherapy

Hi all, hope you are all doing ok with your healing .
I had my planning appt yesterday with Radiotherapy dept and they discussed treatment . They had to make sure I was not pregnant so had to give a urine sample for testing .. this is required before they can carry out CT scan . The radiologists did my tattoos / markings . The appr lasted about an hour .

The radiologist thinks I should be ok to drive myself for the first 7-10 days after that I will need to be chaperoned as fatigue will kick in once into treatment

I was given list of Rads appts starting on 12 November through to 7 December so will need 3 weeks Rads on the breast and then 5 day booster on part breast where tumor was removed .

I’m very nervous as im dreading having to commute to Oxford Hospital 5 days a week ..

At least it will all be done well before Xmas

Good luck to everyone having Rads in November . Keep us updated