Re: November 2018 Radiotherapy

[ Edited ]

Mavit, I started to take my Tamoxifen 3 weeks before rads started. My onc never even mentioned waiting till after rads. I thought that if I have to be on them for 10 years, I best crack on!!!

Fezzy, I was also told about the cream acting as a barrier. My sessions were at 6 every evening so I just made sure I didn't put any cream on after 2. And even then I used a wet wipe just before going in, just to freshen up. Putting the cream on earlier gave it time to sink in. I'm still using Aveeno twice a day although I used Aloe Vera cream and gel during treatment.
My boyfriend drove me to all my appointments so even though it was an hour each way, I could just sit back and let him carry on!!!
There were times when I stressed about being late and missing my slot, as we had to hit the M25 at 5:30pm (!!!!!!) but I just called the unit if I could see us being late and they just swap me with someone who was already there. That said, my unit had 12 machines, not everyone in use at that time of the evening, so there was a bit of leeway and there were times I got bumped up the waiting list just to get us all through and give the staff an early night!!!!!
Community Champion

mavit

My Oncologist said I could start my tamoxifen before or after my rads he said it would not make any difference, I started them a month before I started rads. 

Honestly it is the fear of the unknown that makes us nervous and as always with the real thing it is never as bad as we imagine it to be.  The first apt will be longer than the rest of them as they have to go through all the measurements and information from your oncologist, plus if it is like mine I had a talk with a rads nurse first who explained what would happen etc., so in all it was about 30 minutes.  After that the actuall sessions themselves were only 10/15 mins from undressing and getting dressed again.

Hope this helps

Helena xxx

Mavit1,
There was an attempted aspiration of it a week prior to surgery, but it was too thick.
Measured 7x5cm on ultrasound.
It became infected 3 days later on a Sunday typically so got antibiotics from the GP on the Monday.
My breast care nurse got me an appointment for 2 days later but it opened up the scar before i got there.
It’s my breast only and I think I’ve got another 2 weeks of dressing changes at least before it closes up.

Good morning everyone

I still have to wait another week before starting my Rads. Seems the waiting is making me very nervous.

Did your radiologist tell you that you could continue taking hormonal tablets such as tamoxifen etc during Rads ? Presumably this will not affect it ?

Sending you all hugs x

Hi Katie poo

Haematonas are very unpleasant. was this underarm or in the breast area ?

I had WLE and SNB and developed one under arm where they removed my sentinel nodes and the breast care nurses tried to drain it but then realized they couldn’t as blood . Saw a doctor and he told me to leave it as it would go away in its own and lucky enough it did just that so didn’t need any surgical intervention . It did take a good 8 weeks for it to heal . Contracted mine 10 days after surgery . It’s so painful and uncomfortable. Hope it heals quickly for you.
I understand why need to postpone the Rads as you need to be able to raise your arm above your head whilst undergoing Rads and can imagine it’s very sore for you now .

It will get better - sending you hugs x

Hi Fazzy,

I see you have started and wish you all the best .
The radiologist told he that I could apply a water based cream beforehand after showering providing it has been applied on lightly .

She did also say not too worry too much over it as they would ensure that the area is cleaned off ?

Hope rest of the sessions go ok for you x

I was supposed to start rads on 26th October, but it’s been delayed after I developed an infected haematoma 3 weeks post WLE. Surgically removed on 19th October. Wound still oozing and need dressing changes every other day.
Has anyone else had this type of situation?
I’m lucky in a way that is was an intermediate grade non-invasive DCIS, so I’ve been assured the delay won’t cause any harm.

hi ladies hope you are all getting on ok. It was day two of rads today, has anyone else been told its best not to use cream just before treatment as it can act like a second skin and rads might not be as effective. Early days yet but not feeling any effects yet just maybe a bit more tired, only 18 more to go ....   Fezzy x

Community Champion

Jules

Oh I remember that moment very well.  I had gone to my apt, they were running late and I was in a bad mood, the nurse asked me how I was to which I burst out crying and said I did not want to do it any more, that I was fed up with this apt controlling my life every day, she just put her arms around me gave me a hug and a box of tissues, after a few minutes we got on with it.

I can honestly say the worst part of it was the going back and forward to the hospital every day, which did not help if they were running behind, but as you say you are halfway there now so it will not be long before you are finished.

Sending you hugs

helena xxx

Hi Everyone,

As of today I am now a third of the way through my treatment. I'm having 15 sessions which include 5 boosts. Very pleased that I've been saved an additional 5 days of appointments.

So far, I'm ok. I had a bad day yesterday and was ready to throw in the towel. I asked today if it would be dangerous to just stop. Was told not really dangerous, but I will have put myself through all the risks and receive no benefits. If only we all had a crystal ball! Every session makes me feel a little more terrified!

I'm using Aveeno after my shower in the morning, and then R1 and R2 gel/cream. I was lucky to get it on prescription as it's very expensive. I just hope that it works! I think that I may have to ask for some more of the R2 cream though. BTW... Aveeno is £3.75 at Asda at the moment. I think I'm going to stock up!

The travelling is a nightmare, it's taking me about an hour and 10 minutes. I got there this morning with only minutes to spare.

Good luck to everyone!
Jules x

Thanks Helena 😊

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone - just dropping into the forum. I finish my sessions on Tuesday. I like so many others have used Aveeno cream - it has worked well. I am red and very hot but the skin so far seems okay.

My trip to hospital has been very exhausting - 2-3hrs each way.

I have had added complications so my care had to be in central London - the clinic were wonderful and I have had transport every day BUT it is still leaving at 6am and back anytime between 1-2pm. 

Needless to say I have managed to do very little in this 3 week period.

It is weird also to be feelign anxious that treatment is about to end - the hospital has become a second home to me - I have asked about getting pychological help and will get an update Tuesday.

To everyone starting in November - I send all the best to you to soldier through and if in doubt - ask on here or ask at the clinic - the staff are wonderful. 

Community Champion

nicola

Just wanted to welcome you to the thread where I am sure you will get loads of help and support from the ladies on here who are currently undergoind rads or about to start as you are.

Ask any questions you want and I am sure one of us will be able to help you.

Helena xxx

Hello ladies

My radiotherapy starts on 8th November and have 23 sessions in all, finishing 10th December. Relieved that this next stage of treatment is just around the corner as surgery (WLE & SNB) was 28th August. Got my 3 tattoos at my planning session a week and a half ago and all the “bumf” so am good to go 😊. The journey to the hospital is the only bit that’s daunting to be honest as it’s it’s an 80 mile round trip. But hey-ho, not much I can do about it!

Good luck to you all, may our rads go quickly and uneventfully 😊.

Community Champion

shirleyvalentine

Love the name Smiley Happy

Just wanted to welcome you to the thread, you will get loads of support here from the lovely ladies who are a bit further on from you and those who are just starting.

I had the same 15 regular and 5 boosters, the boosters are a lot shorter in time

Helena xx

Hello everyone. I start radiotherapy on 9th November, 3 weeks plus a booster week. I’ve had to wait for my underarm seroma to get smaller (now a haematoma) so I’m actually delighted (odd word to use I know!) to be starting as I had my surgery the very beginning of August. 

I had my planning session yesterday. It took a bit longer as for some reason they couldn’t get the board that tracks your breathing to sit properly on my torso. A few of them had a go, apparently because I’m petite on the top and my breathing isn’t that obvious! Because I was on the scanner table for so long I got very, very cold and was shaking so they gave me a 20 minute break to go get a hot drink and warm up. I ran up and down the stairs a few times, I also waved my arms about a lot as the arm that had the axillary clearance had gone completely numb, the other arm was just a bit stiff (must have looked a bit mad). Anyway, we got back on with it and I managed the deep breathing to hold my breath ok. At least I know the radiotherapy sessions will be swift! 

With regards to the skin, I currently use Aveeno, cream and post shower spray. From what I’ve read it seems everyone has had slightly different experiences, but glad I have lots of backup solutions to try from all the geat posts other people have made should I need it. I’m 45 mins from Oxford, on Fridays and the weekend my husband has said he will drive me, the other 2 days I’ll drive myself... well that’s the plan! 

Good of luck everyone xx 

Hi ellajo
I finish my rads next Wed. It's fine after you've had first session. Just strange at first in room with machine but I found the ladies were great really put me at ease.

My problem was the 45 minute journey as I'm a terrible traveller. I got used to it about half way through and had a coupe of appointments that ran over time but for most part we had a 3hour round trip including treatments.

I'm sure you will be fine where are you going for treatment, I go to Sheffield.
The time does go by fairly quick and they treat you very well.

Hope your treatment goes ok.
Hugs Susan xx

Hello all, just popping in to say hello to everyone else starting or undergoing radiotherapy treatment in November. My sessions start 7 November and I am quite apprehensive but I'm sure it will be ok. 45 minute journey each way but hoping it will not be too bad. All will be over by Christmas anyway 😊