Community Champion

Re: November 2018 Radiotherapy

Michelle

Sorry mate I have only just seen your post from 3 December. 

Another milestone passed in that I went back to work last week, only 3 hours a day but it is a start.  I really feel it when I come home and can not help having a nap in the afternoon.  I have not had a problem with the driving however it is only 2 miles each way so not far, also as I have an automatic car I think that makes a difference

You will get there my dear honestly, just give yourself the time you will get there honestly xxx.  How is the counselling going?

Thanks Kip.

I finish on 10th January. There will be fifteen sessions, but because of Christmas and New Year it is dragging on til then. I was really keen to start earlier as I had healed well from my mastectomy on 31st October, but there was no availability, and I would love to have been finished treatment by the end of the year.

I still have to have Herceptin injections three weekly til around June next year, and I am on tamoxifen. Luckily, I have had no ill effects from Herceptin or tamoxifen, and I am hoping I don't find radiotherapy too bad!

Best wishes for your last radiotherapy tomorrow.Ring that bell!!

Jane xx

Kip

Ah thanks Jane, ive booked the moving on course to start in February and it sojnds helpful.  You hit the nail on the head with what you said..  irs like being set adrift rwally. The ladies at my Macmillan centre said its very common.  God luck with your rads .when do you finish?

Kip

Xx

Hi KIp,
I have followed some of your posts on the other threads so I feel I know you quite well! I have just started the first of my radiotherapy sessions today. I had a left mastectomy, so I am hopeful I won't have any rubbing either!
Good luck when you have your lymphodema treatment.Also, I wish you well, in the future. I can imagine I will feel emotional after this stage- you feel like you're on a treadmill, onwards and upwards to the finish line, and then, I imagine, you think, where do I go from here? Maybe you feel less 'safe' as active treatment has finished. I am sure the Moving Forward course will be very beneficial.
Best wishes
Jane xx
Kip

Hi all, haven't posted on here for a while, just been doing the daily slog to Radiotherapy.  Today is No. 14 of 15... so ringing that bell tomorrow!   So far so good, no soreness, redness or burning... but well aware this may happen in the next couple of weeks.   I think as i had a masectomy with no recon and have just a flat chest there is no boob to rub against the skin so perhaps that helps a bit.. got to be an advantage somewhere to being a lopsided flatty!!   My only SEs at present are horrendous aches and pains from head to foot but the nurses think this could be a SE from the docetaxol chemo or from the Tamoxifen I'm now taking.. or possibly all of them!!   Unforutnately I have developed cording from my ANC and am awaiting an appintment with Lymphodema clinic for some massage and exercise advise but otherwise just trying to get through this week and then some nice rest over Xmas.   Am also feeling tearful at the though of end of treatment..ironic really isn't it as at the beginning couldn't wait for the end of it all.   I'm hoping to attend the Hope Moving Forward course run at my hospital in the new year to help move on.

Take care ladies

Kip

xx

Highlighted

Thanks Helena, good to hear life has gone back to normal in 2 years. I think Me and my OH are at the stage where we are beginning for the first time to reflect on what has happened. I wish I was 2 years down the line but know you just have to go through it.
Well done on the drive, it must be hard post hysterectomy. It always feels good to pass a milestone x
Community Champion

Michelle

Oh mate I can really assure you that there a light and it is starting to shine brighter fat the end of that tunnel for you now. 

Before

ligth before.jpg

Now

ligth after.jpg

I am now 2 years post op and 22 months post rads finishing, life really has gone back to normal but with a greater appreciation about what I have been through and my priorities in life xxx

Done an airport run today as mum has flown home, it was quite a journey as it was pouring down the whole way, tired but again another milestone reached as it is a round trip of about 35 miles, which would not have been a problem prior to my hysterectomy!!

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

A night out and talking about normal stuff can do the world of good cant it? It’s good to hear you are getting back to some sort of normality, it’s a good idea to return to work on reduced hours, gradually get back into it. Shows me there is light at the end of this long dark tunnel! X
Community Champion

Michelle

That is good news and is obviously going to help your overall wellbeing. 

Yep totally agree still would be worth going to your appointment, at the end of the day mate, if it is not for you, you dont have to go back but you need to find that out first.

I am doing really well, I was out last night with a few of the girls from work at one of their homes, it was wonderful, had a late night and didnt get home until midnight, I slept for 7 straight hours which is something I have not done for months so it really did me the world of good.  Had my apt with GP and am returning to work on 11 December albeit on a very reduced hours phased return which I am really looking forward to, I am ready and need to get back into the real world again.

xxx

Hi ladies. So I’m now going braless! I didn’t wear underwire, but after 15 the redness & soreness has just crept up on me. Very itchy and skin ever so slightly raised towards the collar bone, but taking antihistamines which seem to work. My underarm is quite sore because of my protruding bruise where I had axillary clearance so it rubs. I saw the nurse today, she gave me some pads and gel ‘just in case your skin breaks down’ - fingers crossed it doesn’t, but at least I’m prepared! Had a bout of fatigue yesterday, was out of breath walking the dog! But not too bad and muddling through. Glad of this forum so I know what to expect and that everything’s ‘normal’ - 4 more then done!

Hi Helena
Thanks for asking, I feel like I’ve turned a corner and there is some improvement. They haven’t disappeared but as long as I gel up regularly they seem to be improving.
The tears seemed to have stopped too which is a relief! I actually feel very positive today, although I’m still going to keep my appointment for counselling.
Hope everything is going well with you xx
Community Champion

Michelle

How are you getting on, how are the blisters, hopefully improving now?

Helena xxx

thank you so much ladies for all your messages it means a lot to me.  Fezzy x

I'm sooooo excited! 2 weeks since completing 15 days of radiotherapy I've been discharged and told I'm cancer free. I will need to go for a mammogram annually and a bone desity scan in 2 years as I have Osteopoenia and need more weight bearing exercise and medication. I already do 10,000+steps a day! I even cycled to radiotherapy each day.

Anyway good luck to everyone at the start or even part way through your journey. I was only diagnosed on August 2nd, lumpectomy on August 29 and now out the other end. 

I'm still an emotional wreck at times, but hoping going back to work will help.

Cyclingso

Community Champion

katiepoo

Yay thats great news.  I have started a December 2018 Radiotherapy thread on here for those ladies starting in December xxx

Community Champion

mavit

Dont worry we will be ringing the bells on here for you next week Smiley Happy and then you can say goodbye to the travelling, that was what used to get to me xx

Well done Fezzy xxx you got there in the end!!! Keep drinking lots and continue to moisturiser. Even now, after finishing rads in July, I still get some discoloration under my boob and across my chest where the rad zone ended. But I still drink as much as I can and still moisturiser within an inch of my life and alls good.
Reading through recent posts, everything sounds so familiar, which is good, as these worries and twinges are common for all of us.
This is the best place to come for support from others who have been through the same.
I'm also 4 weeks in to my HOPE course. If your MacMillan centre offer this, go for it. I'm with a lovely group and although we have had different diagnosis and treatment plans, we all have the same worries and concerns so its good to share.
Take care all, keep going, there is light at the end of the tunnel xxxxxx
🎀❣🎀❣🎀

After having my radiotherapy delayed from October I hope to be finally starting mine next week.
So well done ladies that have finished, good luck to those still having it and i shall no doubt join the December thread

Congratulations Fezzy
Bet you are relieved! No more Rads. Make sure you look after yourself As I was told too that side effects could continue after Rads completion.
I am on day 13/20. Roll on next week the final week . I am tired having to make the same journey each day . There are no bells to ring at my Hospital - my thoughts go out to everybody going through Rads or yet to start

X
Community Champion

Crocrazy

Thank you for your good wishes xx  Oh that is great news having the all clear, know what you mean it just brings back memories but going forward now it is a good memory of everything being absolutely fine

Sending you hugs

helena xxx