Re: November 2018 Radiotherapy

Hi Everyone,

As of today I am now a third of the way through my treatment. I'm having 15 sessions which include 5 boosts. Very pleased that I've been saved an additional 5 days of appointments.

So far, I'm ok. I had a bad day yesterday and was ready to throw in the towel. I asked today if it would be dangerous to just stop. Was told not really dangerous, but I will have put myself through all the risks and receive no benefits. If only we all had a crystal ball! Every session makes me feel a little more terrified!

I'm using Aveeno after my shower in the morning, and then R1 and R2 gel/cream. I was lucky to get it on prescription as it's very expensive. I just hope that it works! I think that I may have to ask for some more of the R2 cream though. BTW... Aveeno is £3.75 at Asda at the moment. I think I'm going to stock up!

The travelling is a nightmare, it's taking me about an hour and 10 minutes. I got there this morning with only minutes to spare.

Good luck to everyone!
Jules x

Thanks Helena 😊

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone - just dropping into the forum. I finish my sessions on Tuesday. I like so many others have used Aveeno cream - it has worked well. I am red and very hot but the skin so far seems okay.

My trip to hospital has been very exhausting - 2-3hrs each way.

I have had added complications so my care had to be in central London - the clinic were wonderful and I have had transport every day BUT it is still leaving at 6am and back anytime between 1-2pm. 

Needless to say I have managed to do very little in this 3 week period.

It is weird also to be feelign anxious that treatment is about to end - the hospital has become a second home to me - I have asked about getting pychological help and will get an update Tuesday.

To everyone starting in November - I send all the best to you to soldier through and if in doubt - ask on here or ask at the clinic - the staff are wonderful. 

Community Champion

nicola

Just wanted to welcome you to the thread where I am sure you will get loads of help and support from the ladies on here who are currently undergoind rads or about to start as you are.

Ask any questions you want and I am sure one of us will be able to help you.

Helena xxx

Hello ladies

My radiotherapy starts on 8th November and have 23 sessions in all, finishing 10th December. Relieved that this next stage of treatment is just around the corner as surgery (WLE & SNB) was 28th August. Got my 3 tattoos at my planning session a week and a half ago and all the “bumf” so am good to go 😊. The journey to the hospital is the only bit that’s daunting to be honest as it’s it’s an 80 mile round trip. But hey-ho, not much I can do about it!

Good luck to you all, may our rads go quickly and uneventfully 😊.

Community Champion

shirleyvalentine

Love the name Smiley Happy

Just wanted to welcome you to the thread, you will get loads of support here from the lovely ladies who are a bit further on from you and those who are just starting.

I had the same 15 regular and 5 boosters, the boosters are a lot shorter in time

Helena xx

Hello everyone. I start radiotherapy on 9th November, 3 weeks plus a booster week. I’ve had to wait for my underarm seroma to get smaller (now a haematoma) so I’m actually delighted (odd word to use I know!) to be starting as I had my surgery the very beginning of August. 

I had my planning session yesterday. It took a bit longer as for some reason they couldn’t get the board that tracks your breathing to sit properly on my torso. A few of them had a go, apparently because I’m petite on the top and my breathing isn’t that obvious! Because I was on the scanner table for so long I got very, very cold and was shaking so they gave me a 20 minute break to go get a hot drink and warm up. I ran up and down the stairs a few times, I also waved my arms about a lot as the arm that had the axillary clearance had gone completely numb, the other arm was just a bit stiff (must have looked a bit mad). Anyway, we got back on with it and I managed the deep breathing to hold my breath ok. At least I know the radiotherapy sessions will be swift! 

With regards to the skin, I currently use Aveeno, cream and post shower spray. From what I’ve read it seems everyone has had slightly different experiences, but glad I have lots of backup solutions to try from all the geat posts other people have made should I need it. I’m 45 mins from Oxford, on Fridays and the weekend my husband has said he will drive me, the other 2 days I’ll drive myself... well that’s the plan! 

Good of luck everyone xx 

Hi ellajo
I finish my rads next Wed. It's fine after you've had first session. Just strange at first in room with machine but I found the ladies were great really put me at ease.

My problem was the 45 minute journey as I'm a terrible traveller. I got used to it about half way through and had a coupe of appointments that ran over time but for most part we had a 3hour round trip including treatments.

I'm sure you will be fine where are you going for treatment, I go to Sheffield.
The time does go by fairly quick and they treat you very well.

Hope your treatment goes ok.
Hugs Susan xx

Hello all, just popping in to say hello to everyone else starting or undergoing radiotherapy treatment in November. My sessions start 7 November and I am quite apprehensive but I'm sure it will be ok. 45 minute journey each way but hoping it will not be too bad. All will be over by Christmas anyway 😊

Highlighted

Lovely to hear from you Lilacmoon and that you are doing well, I am getting a bit apprehensive about the rads but sure I will be fine when the first one is over with. my sister has just rung the bell (she was diagnosed a month before me with DCIS )so has given me an in site as to what happens, I will take the advise to take painkillers beforehand after my back went into spasm during planning and couldn't get off the bed without help, hope that doesn't happen again. It is a bit daunting to think about having to make the journey 20 times but I suppose it will become routine after a while.     Fezzy x

Just dropping in to see who is on the latest wave of Rad treatment!!!
Fezzy, Im so glad that the system kicked in and that you have your dates 👍👍👍
I finished rads 16 weeks ago now and it feels like a lifetime has passed since then.
Mine were at a hospital about 30 miles away and going on the M25 threw a spanner in the works, but most of the time it was a clear run. 2 and a bit hours round trip and sometimes for a session where I was in and out in under 10 min.
Still to this day apply Aveeno although through treatment I used Aloe Vera moisturiser and gel. The gel was lovely and cooling straight after my treatment. To this day, if I have a hot shower or bath, I can see a very faint pink line of were the rads ended half way up my chest, but apart from that everything is settled.
I used to take a couple of paracetamol about half an hour before my treatment just to ward off any armpain but I was ok throughout so Im not sure if it was the tablets or mind over matter!!!
And drink lots of water!!!!!
Good luck 😻😻😻
Community Champion

mavit

There is a form that you will need to complete, then the GP signs it, it then gets sent off and about a week later you will get your medical exemption card which is valid for 5 years, or up til you are 60 when you get free prescriptions anyway.  I only had mine for 18 months as I was then 60 Smiley Happy xx

hi Mavit don't know if this helps but I have been getting Aveeno from Morrison's its been on offer for a few weeks at half price still £4  but not too bad so I have been stocking up, don't know how long this offer is on for or if it's in every store.  Fezzy x

Hi Helena
Yes good point ! My GP did tell me that I qualified for a medical exemption card so entitled to free prescriptions. I will mention it to my GP when she calls me before my Rads start as I have a tele interview arranged .. thanks x
Community Champion

mavit

just a thought are you going to be on hormone blocking tablets?  If so you are entitled to free prescriptions for the time that you are taking them and that includes any other medications you might require during that time regardless if it is related to your bc or not.  Perhaps you could get your GP to do a prescription for the Aveeno.

Helena xxx

Community Champion

mavit

That is totally natural to have those worries, however I can assure you that with time it does get easier, I no longer go to sleep or wake up thinking about it.  I am two years post surgery and nearly 20 months post rads.

That is a long journey to undertake each day, I can certainly understand why your team have suggested as they have.  It might be a good idea to discuss this with your employer to see if there is any way that you can work from home or that your GP signs you off for the time that you are having the rads, but if you do remember if you do work from home you should only do your phased return hours even when you are at home

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Hi Sarah , good luck with the Rads

Hospital did mention Aveeno but I understand that this is quite expensive. A lot of women I have spoken to have used acqueous cream which I understand is cheap for a big tub and just apply it few times daily .

I will be applying this a week before my Rads start to ensure my skin is soft/ supple plus get me in the routine of applying body cream . X

Hi Helena, I do worry about the future and about recurrences . It is going to be a challenge me getting through the next 6 months .

Yes the radiologist did say to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration and fatigue. Unfortunately for me I will have to travel 30 miles to hospital ( total journey is 60 miles ) daily which is just over an hour ..
I also commute to work daily which is 60 miles daily and currently on a phased return to work . 3 days week ( 12 hours total) this May increase .

It will not be practical for me to drive to work then drive to hospital and then drive home again so I’m not sure yet whether I will be expected to work from home or be signed off work for the month . Will see how I feel whilst going through treatment x

hi Sooty I am starting rads on 31st and have been using E45 or Aveeno which I will continue during rads, my sister who has just finished her rads (we were diagnosed within a month of each other) used Aloe Vera but not all radiologists advise this, but she was also given cream to use by the hospital.  Best wishes Fezzy x

Hi!

I’m starting rad treatment on a Monday so thought I’d join the November group as will mostly be treated in November :-)

Has anyone bought any creams to use on their skin afterwards?!

I’ve been told to drink lots of water and do a bit of excercises each day during treatment... going to try and work through it (I work 2.5 days/week) but will depend on possible fatigue I guess ?!

Hope all goes well for you all anyway Smiley Happy

Sarah X