Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May 2018 Radiotherapy

Community Champion

Re: May 2018 Radiotherapy

Vonne

Oh darling I am sending you a very gentle Helena huggle  xxx

You are really going through it and no you are not moaning, you are just venting and that is good because this is the one place you can do that with people who totally understand and get you.  Honestly it will start to get better very soon, you have been through so much and Lady you have done it, just hang on in there and you will get through this, you are tired with it all and that is totally understandable, I just wish I was there to hug you in person

Once the anti biotics start to take effect you will feel much better and the new dressings will hopefully do the trick.

Hopefully you will manage to get some rest and things will be at least a bit better in the morning.

Sending you loads of hugs

Helena xxxx

Hi Helena, 

I couldn’t get through to the radiotherapy dept so called a nurse on BreastCancerCare who was reassuring and advised me to persist in trying. When I managed to get through to the hospital early afternoon the nurse there was extremely helpful, spoke to the rads and faxed my own GP’s with recommendations. I was then  seen by the GP straight away. My nipple, breast and underarm have an infection so that is why the pain is out of control. I’ve been given strong painkillers but they don’t take the edge off the pain and have the side effects of making me sick and dizzy, so I guess I just need to wait for the antibiotics to kick in. I’ve been given other stuff to help too so I’m sure things will get better soon. I’ve been told I’ve also got cording which isn’t helping either. 

Right now now I’m in pain, I’ve been crying all day, and feel dreadful. I can’t wear a bra because it hurts, but I can’t not wear one because clothes rub on the nipple. I can’t get relief from being topless because the air hurts the nipple too! I get no relief from my axilla either!  A different type of padding has been ordered for me so when it arrives tomorrow I’m hoping it might help a little. 

The lovely lady at the hospital called me back early evening to find out how it had gone with the doctor and to make sure I’d been given what they recommended, she said she’d call again tomorrow! I’m so grateful for everyone’s help today! 

I feel I’m moaning all the time and really feel pretty low and angry now!

I just want the pain to lessen a bit! 

I’ve had bad side effects or reactions every step along the way with the treatments and I’ve simply had enough now.

I’m totally exhausted and I’m beginning to wish I had never gone for the screening which picked this all up in the first place. 

Community Champion

Vonne

Did you give yuot rads team a call, hopefully they have been able to suggest/give you something for it.

It doesnt matter if you are "overreacting" rather that and get it sorted my dear.

xxx

Hi Ladies,

I am also new here and have had RT session 7 of 15 today, had no symptoms until this morning, when I got up I felt worn out and had a slight headache but I have felt better as the day has gone on, so far I’ve had no soreness of the skin either thankfully! 

I started Tamoxifen 5 weeks ago but I’m wondering why some of us start before out RT treatment and some after?

I would definitely give them a call Vonne and get some one to take a look, I'm sure they wouldn't think you was over reacting, at least it will reassure you.. good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanks Dramjo, 

It has now got so extreme looking and feeling that I’m in a lot of pain and this morning parts of it has started ‘oozing’. I’m not sure what to do so will possibly call the nurse or radiotherapy department, but I don’t know if that’s overreacting. 

Highlighted

Hi Vonne,

well done on reaching the end of your rads, such a milestone.

I am still feeling tired 10days now since I finished my rads. I would say if uncomfortable, see your bc nurse. 

Hope you start to feel you are gradually getting back to normal soon,

Jo xx

Thanks Dizzytalons, it’s good to know that someone else is similar to me! I’m still getting worse, it’s too nasty to describe, so I’ve delayed going away for a week (a work related thing of husband’s!). It’s good to compare your timescale with mine and to know that you’re beginning to feel more comfortable. I’m putting off contacting the nurse but if it looks like it might get infected I will. On second thoughts, I might call them tomorrow...that’s what they’re there for, right?!!!  

I forgot to add Vonne..speak to your rads team, oncologist or BCN.. they will be able to give you advice on how best to cope with side effects and holiday etc.. hope that helps lovely..xx

Hi Vonne.
Well done and congratulations on finishing your rads..it's such s great feeling isn't it. I finished my rads on the 8th of May and experienced much the same..was very sore red and itchy..the skin also split underneath and was very uncomfortable even with wearing a comfort bra..it did peak a little then started to heal and now feeling quite comfortable. I still get the odd stabbing pain and a bit itchy underneath in this hot weather. I was told to apply E45 cream twice a day during treatment and after for 6 weeks.. also gave me Instasite gel to put underneath which was very cooling..I am still feeling tired but onchologist said that it's normal as still early days.. I hope your feeling better soon.
Celia.x

My journey with radiotherapy sessions finished on Friday (🎈🎈🎈🎈🎈💥💥💥⭐️)

The radiographers told me that any side effects would peak in 10-14 days, so I’m needing a little advice. 

I’m have a great deal of sudden exhaustion and in the past two days I intermittently feel feint! (I upped my water, but a can of coke or similar caffeine drink, and a seat,  helps at those feinting times).My armpit is so deep red and sore that it’s beginning to look black so I’m lashing the hospital creams on but will speak to the nurse if it continues. My nipple is peeling, swollen, and a vicious red! The whole breast area is now pink or red, it hurts and I have stabbing pains.  There are eczema type patches all over and under the bra line, and inside the breast itches too! It’s impossible to wash or even wet under my arm now because it is so tender and raw. 

I’m using antihistamine, painkillers, cooling cream, wearing thick Kliniderm hospital foam pads to prevent clothes rubbing,  and using moisturising cream all as recommended by the hospital (they’re pretty good). I’m avoiding bras if possible. 

I’ve been doing everything recommended by the radiotherapy dept and BC nurse and can cope but I’m wondering if anyone here has or has had similar side effects to me and  are a little ahead of me for dates? Did it actually become worse during those two weeks after radiotherapy stops and being told the side effects might peak? Or does it just stay the same but get no better?  

I’m supposed to be going away in a few days and need to start thinking about whether or not to cancel! 

Hi MellyL

The day before I started I twisted my shoulder where I’d very badly broken it a few years previously. I couldn’t raise my arm at all so called the dept who told me not to worry and that they’d make readjustments and do it a different way if necessary. Fortunately, the next day my shoulder and arm were OK!
These radiographers are brilliant!

Hello MellyL, I have also just had my first 4 of 15 rads, and the nurses are fabulous. No pink yet but I find my masectomy scar is tight and warm, so lots of aloe vera to keep it cool.

Fortunately I have no problems with arm movement and find the treatment and putting my arms up all ok, I do pilates now and this helps considerably.

Hello Ladies
I'm new here and have just had my first 4 RT sessions with Rhianna (my new friend - the machine)

The thing I wanted to mention was preparation as I couldn't find anything on here before I started. I'm suffering shoulder pain due to the surgery/exercises/hormone treatment. Holding the position with arms high above my head is very uncomfortable, especially the early sessions when a lot of measuring goes on. If you're the same, remember to take painkillers. A simple precaution.Woman Wink

Some pinkness after 4th session, which has gone today. Otherwise, no symptoms yet.

Hi Sunflower,

I’m really glad things went wel for you, this whole business is something we have not been through before so it can all become exhausting physically and emotionally.
Shedding tears in the toilet was good, but don’t hesitate to let them out in front of the nurses, radiographers, or any other professional! You might have a few more tears to shed along the way! One day at the start of a radiotherapy session I was so emotional that I went into a rant about politics followed by a few tears....obviously the emotion was really nothing to do with current affairs but it was really more about the physical exhaustion of all the travelling to and from appointments! The poor radiographers who were there at the time were lovely though, and I had the feeling I wasn’t the first to be tearful!!!!!
Enjoy the bank holiday!
Community Champion

Sunflower

Oh I am so glad to hear that everything went well yesterdayand that you are feeling better about it.

Please do not worry about shedding a few tears when you are going through this, it is totally natural and your team will support you so much along the way.  I remember the one day I went for my session and the lovely nurse asked me how I was, well the floodgates opened, she just sat me down with a box of tissues, gave me a lovely hug and we got on with it.

I will start the June thread so that you can go on there and be joined by those ladies who are continuing or starting rads in June.

Sending you hugs and have a lovely Bank Holiday weekend

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Sunflower

What you are feeling is totally normal and it is compounded by your experience to date, but I promise you will be absolutely fine, this is fear of the unknown, the same as when we started our journey with bc, but once you have the first session out of the way it will be okay my dear.

When I was about to start my rads, I had this feeling of fear because I had done so well up to then that I was going to crash and burn.  My boss immediately got me a counsellor who saw me through the whole thing, she was totally incredible, it was lovely having someone to talk to who did not know me, who made sense of what I was feeling and I did not have to worry about saying things to her that I would not have said to my close family and friends for fear of upsetting them.  I remember when I want to see her on the morning of the last day of my rads and I told her I was ready to let her go and stand on my own two feet again, it was completely therapeutic.

I would absolutely recommend anyone to have counselling, it is the second time in my life that I have had it and on both occasions it helped me in so many ways

You are still going through active treatment and perhaps they need to be gently reminded of that, but just think very soon you will be at the end of that tunnel looking at the bright light which is post active treatment and we will be rinigng the bells so very loud for you.  Dont be too hard on yourself

Sending you loads of love and hugs

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Vonne

that is the beauty of this forum, there is always someone who is able to share something that might be of help.  Amazed they did not tell you that at the planning meeting, it was one of the first things I was told at mine, but then different hospitals seem to have different ways

Hope it helps and makes a difference when you have been doing it for a couple of days xxx

Thanks! I hadn’t been told to do this at the hospital so will up my intake and hopefully it will help! Good advice! 

Community Champion

Vonne

When I was having mine they recommended that I try to take in a good 2 litres of fluid a day, on days that I didnt I really did notice the difference with fatigue xxx