Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2019 Radiotherapy

26 REPLIES 26
Community Champion

Re: March 2019 Radiotherapy

Coco

Woo hoo that is fabulous news and I am ringing the bell on here for you tonight.

Have a wonderful holiday you so deserve it.

Helena xxx

ringing bells.gif

Finally rang that bell today! Wonderful not having to go back tomorrow. Was a bit of a slog even though 15 sessions only, as my measurements started to go “off” during the second week and setting up took forever each time. They told me it was probably due to some swelling of the tissue which threw everything out.  They certainly had to exercise their skills to set me up each time.

Anyway, that’s behind me now, hopefully just the 5 years of tabs and no other nasties going forward.

off to Lanzarote on Sunday clutching moisturiser and factor 50!

Best wishes to you all ... hope you are all done soon.

Had my planing appointment. It really wasn’t as bad as I had imagined.  My mind had definitely worked overtime.  Now waiting to start in 2 weeks. A man finished his treatment this morning and rang that bell loud.  I can’t wait.

Hi Ladybowler 

Thanks for the advice, yes definitely taking it easy, I’m doing 4 hours a day Monday to Friday. 

Just saw my BCN, she’s going to refer me back to surgery for reconstruction, apparently it’s classed as non urgent, so I will have to wait until Jan 20 for my op. 

Which is fine by me. 

Lots of love Helena 

Thank you 

Community Champion

monica

It does feel so good, however just be careful over the coming weeks, keep up your regime with moisturising and drinking plenty of fluids as the effects of the rads will still be there for a couple of weeks.  Also make sure that you keep to your phased return hours, they used to send someone down to my office at midday to see if I was packing up for the day as I was only supposed to do 4 hours a day, 3 days a week for the first six weeks.  Felt I could have done more but knew I had to be sensible. 

Strangely that experience helped me when I returned to work in January this year after having had a hysterectomy last October, I was very careful and did exactly what I had agreed to and no more as I needed to look after myself.

Hope you are going to do something lovely to celebrate the end of active treatment for you

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Thanks Coco and Ladybowler, ring that bell loud and proud. 

What a journey, since last May. 

Iv had my ups and downs, but I finally made it. 

Started back to work on a phased return. 

Normality feels real now. 

Good luck ladies. 

Lots of love 

Community Champion

monica

I am guessing that you have had your last rads today so I am ringing the bell for you.

Well done the light at the end of the tunnel has now shone really brightly for you.

helena xxx

ringing bells.gif

Hi Monicatura congrats on finishing! Hope you enjoy getting back to normal and good luck for the future.

Hi Ladybowler 

Let’s ring that bell, Radiotherapy is now finished. 15 sessions just flew by.

i have Sunburn and sore skin, and a letter to confirm treatments are over. 

Lots of luck ladies, to those who are just starting, it will be over before you know it.

Community Champion

Nipper

I had a similar situation as you when I had my rads, my partner has MS and at that time was having a lot of difficulty walking, however has now become housebound as he can not walk without a frame.  So you will need to rely your kids to give you whatever support they can and do not be frightened to ask them, you need to look after yourself my dear.

Not sure if I told you before but Imade sure that prior to starting my rads I cooked up plenty of meals that could be microwaved in order to give me a chance to get rest and look after him as well.  Just make sure you give yourself time each day to have a rest and a nap.  I used to just go to sleep in the chair for about 10 minutes without any warning and then I would wake and be refreshed.  Probably a good idea to make sure that you are taking in plenty of fluid up to and during the rads as that will help.  And you are so right your rads team will take good care of you, never feel that you can not talk to them about any worries you have, they will always be able to put your mind at ease.

Helena xxx

Highlighted

I begin radiotherapy at the end of the month.  Slightly anxious by it all but I am sure once I get started it will be ok.  My husband has Parkinson’s and although he works and does very well I hope radiotherapy doesn’t affect me too much.  I will do as instructed by the professionals and all you lovely ladies. 😀. I have 2 children at home so they will have to help if needed.  

Hi Helena, Beckett and Holeinone (great name btw!)

Beckett it’s good to get started isn’t it. My top tip is plenty of reading material and puzzles, and snacks (healthy of course lol). I haven’t had a session to time yet. At our centre by the afternoon the effects of time slippage from the morning are well and truly compounded by dratted  machine outages. The staff are beside themselves poor things. Twice this week they’ve not finished till nearly 10 pm. They actually asked some of us to skip Wed treatment and come in for a Sat morning overtime opening as they knew the Thursday was going to be a long wait. So this morning I had a lovely 8.30 appt and was done and home within one hour (which in my naïveté I thought they were all going to be like).  Anyway, 7 down 8 to go.

Holeinone it will be easier once you start and get the measure of the thing itself. Non invasive and totally marvellous what these machine do for us.  I do 2 days a week at work too. Am a bit tired but I think it’s the waiting etc as much as the treatment. I use an Aveeno moisturiser which seems to be doing the trick. Although I’m small boobed I was getting a bit sweaty under the boob even without a bra so it was suggested I tuck a smooth hankie under the boob to keep it drier. Did it overnight with a loosish crop top and it seems to have worked.

Also re meals we have a cooked lunch on my days off and make sure there’s a light salad or sandwiches in fridge ready for the evening when we get home. And I an trialling one of those food box schemes next week where you pick 2 to 4 meals and they send you everything you need for those meals, all portioned out to cook. Got a trial 50% off so 4 meals for three of us for £25 couldn’t resist it even if I never use it again!

Have a good weekend everyone.

Hi ladies

Just finished chemo at the end of February and will commence radiotherapy on 28th of March, can I join in?

Had my planning session yesterday and got though fine but then had an emotional meltdown in the car park!

I have some reading matter from the oncologist and I've bought aloe vera gel for afterwards, but any hints and tips would be appreciated x 

Hi Ladies,

Last part of my journey began yesterday: 1 of 15 rads. All was fine but I suffer with pins and needles anyway so my arm was very sore from being in the position for some time. They have said it will be much quicker next time.

I also began my phased return to work this week and have done 2 half days. Again, it was ok. 

My brother was disgnosed with kidney cancer in December anc had his op on Thursday so it's been a busy week!

Had a nose bleed last night...I'm presuming it was just random but will keep an eye on it. 

Hope you all have a lovely weekend 

B x

Community Champion

Coco

Hope the rest of this week has been ok for you.

I once had a 3 hour delay, however it was earlier in the day but resulted in my getting stuck in the rush hour traffic.  I had left the house at 1.20pm and got home at 7.30pm, so I feel for you.

Helena xxx

Hope all went well for everyone today. Took ages to line me up today ... and had a 3.5 hr delay for treatment as three machines out of six down. Finally left at 8.15 pm and there were still people to go. Technicians and nurses so good but frazzled. Dunkirk spirit all round, helped by nhs coffee tea and penguins! Hope tomorrow isn’t as bad.

Hi Helena

Thank you, I look forward to hearing the bell ring. 

Lots of luck ACS1, I think we finish at the same time. I’m also using aloe Vera gel, with a couple of drops of lavender. Very soothing. 😁😁

Wishing all the March new starters well.

Yesterday was 8 of 15 rads so over half way there now, its not been to bad my skin is keeping good I am using aloe vera gel and seems to be working well! I am tired but think its the travelling on top not helping.

Take care everyone!

Community Champion

monica

They didnt at my hospital, it was only the ladies on here who rang the bells for me when I finished in January 2017, which I loved, so watch out next Monday coz it will be ringing loud and clear for you Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Thanks Helena, I’m drinking plenty of fluids and resting.

Thank you for ringing the bell, I don’t think they have a bell at the hospital to ring. 😁😁

Community Champion

Haze

Just go with it. and rest, I used to come home be sitting there and all of a sudden that was it I was fast asleep for 10 minutes of so then would wake up and be fine.  Must admit I still have that now but think it is just more part of my age Smiley Happy

I found the worst part was the travelling to and fro, it really takes it out of you.  Yay you are a third of the way there xx

5 down and weekend free. 10 to go. Tiredness kicked in last night and just want to doze. 

Community Champion

monica

I am fine thank you, I finished my rads two years ago in January.

So a week on Monday you will be finsihing I will ring the bell on here for you.  The fatigue can be a problem, just make sure you keep taking in plenty of fluids as that does help and get rest when your body tells you

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Coco

I remember that when I had mine, I did a load of stuff for the freezer so that I could just take something out and heat it quickly, but totally agree, the one night i got in at 7pm after leaving the house at 2 for a 3pm apt, but it will not be long before you are the other end of it all and saying you only have two left.

Have a lovely rads free weekend

Helena xxx

Hi there. Two down, 13 to go! Late afternoon appts have meant that I’ve experienced the knock on from machine breakdowns and I’ve been 60 mins and today 90 mins late getting treated. Not the best start but it is what it is, and at least I don’t have a long journey home afterwards. Going to have to get a bit more sorted food wise as getting in at gone 7 with no ideas is not conducive to good eating!!

Thanks ladybowler. 

I had rad 9 of 15 today, no bad SE so far, just slight fatigue and tinged skin. 

How are you doing? 

@ladybowler wrote:

Ladies

Starting a new thread for those ladies who are continuing in Marh and also for those ladies who will be starting this month.

Helena xx

Community Champion

March 2019 Radiotherapy

Ladies

Starting a new thread for those ladies who are continuing in Marh and also for those ladies who will be starting this month.

Helena xx