Highlighted

Re: March 2018 Radiotherapy

[ Edited ]

Moomoo I have replied to your post on the December thread. Get your holiday booked you will be fine. It will do you the world of good.

Kaz xx

Hello ladies I'm from the January chemo thread as currently on chemo but looking ahead to my radiotherapy treatment in June as I'd like to book a holiday abroad asap after this. However i wondered how long to leave it ? Any advise ? I'd like to go within a couple of weeks of finishing radiotherapy before school holidays start but wondered how long after the radiotherapy you have had problems that could impact on the holiday. Obviously I'm expecting fatigue but have you had many skin issues.? Or swelling pain or a reasons not to go abroad.sorry the thread seems too long to route through .im convincing myself I'll be fine but am I blocking out reality of potential problems if I go within 2 weeks was thinking of Italy and may just be too hot. Desperate to get something booked but should I leave it longer? Any advise or experience post radiotherapy please let me know x thanks
Community Champion

Kaz

Pleasure any time my dear

H xxx

Thanks Helena, wise words as always.

Kaz xx

Community Champion

Kaz

Oh that is fantastic news re work.  Isnt it funny like with everything on this journey, we imagine something is going to be a lot worse than it is, there you were really worried about going into work and everyone was so lovely, that will really help for when you do go back to work.  Very good idea about the phased return and the hours, but remember that they have said it can be changed if necessary so do not be a martyr my dear.

Perhaps OH will be in touch now so that they can ensure everything is in place ready for your return and will make recommendations as well.

Have a wonderful weekend which I am sure will be much more relaxing now you have today over with.

Helena xxx

Hi Helena,

Thanks for your reply. I have been to see my GP and have got another sick note for two weeks. I feel much better and have actually been in to work this morning to hand in my sick note. I had been really dreading going in and seeing everybody but it was actually lovely to see all my friends and they were all very supportive.

I am going back to work Monday 14th May and my HR manager has sorted my shifts out so that I am only doing 4 days of 10am to 2pm for two weeks which I can change further if its too much and then they will see how I am after that. She was really good and said that they will support me in whatever is best for me. Apparently Occupational health have not been in touch as they didn't want to put any pressure on me so I do understand that.

Have a lovely weekend.

Kaz xx

Hi Alibobs,

Thanks for your advice, I know that I need to look after myself and stop worrying about work. I am not even sure why I feel guilty for having so long off as I am on SSP at the moment so its not even as if they are paying me.

Have a lovely weekend.

Kaz xx

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry to hear about your partner and I fully understand that you need to be well yourself.

I love this forum, it is nice to know that there is always somebody that can give you good advice.

Take care and have a lovely weekend.

Kaz xx

Community Champion

Kaz

Oh that is good news that they are being supportive of you.

You need to take as much time as you need because as you say you dont want to go back to find out you are not ready yet, a phased return to work is good.  Might be worth asking ithe question f there is any sort of OH support that the company buy into or can provide

As Alibobs says, this is about you and your recovery from your treatment, you need to put you first, work will just have to wait, but it does sound like they are going to everything they can to help you get back to work when you are ready.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Hi kaz just wanted to reassure you about sick notes and work. I've been off since November too and my sick note this time is up to the end of June. I have just been signed off by the rads onco but have yet to see the surgeon for a review. I have no intention of returning to work until I get the green light from the surgeon and my gp. I may yet ask for another couple of months just to make sure I'm fully recovered as seem to get tired more quickly now. Please don't feel guilty for putting yourself first. No one is indespensible and thd most important thing is your health. Take as long as you need. Work should wait!!! Best wishes 💗💗

Kaz

these things are sent to try us! Perhaps they can bring the food with them.

I’ve had a good day. Made a decision about further treatment. 

This morning I had a helpful letter from the endocrinologist I saw a couple of weeks ago confirming our conversation. It seems that Letrosol is out because there is a history of osteoporosis in my family. So Tamoxifen is on the cards but taking either will only benefit me by 1-2%. So it seems to me that it’s probably better not to take anything. I got away with the rads very lightly, unlike you, and didn’t even feel tired. I need to look after my partner who has stage 4 bowel cancer and is on palliative treatment. I can’t do that if I’m struggling with side effects. 

Luckily my cancer was caught early thanks to the screening programme and I’m very grateful for all the speedy treatment, even though I can’t say I’ve enjoyed it and it was hard to believe it was happening to both of us. At least I knew the staff already!

Its been really helpful being being able to chat with people on here while going through rads.

all the best to you all and to Helena for holding things together.

Liz xx

Hi Helena,

You're so right about the sun making us feel better.

I phoned my manager this morning and he was fine with me just contacting him again once I have seen my GP who has already said that a phased return to work will be needed. I had an op on my foot a few years ago and was off for nearly 4 months and the Occupational Health kept in touch to see how I was recovering and they looked after my phased return to work but this time it sounds like we don't have their input at all now for some strange reason. My manager knows that I will be having the phased return and has just said I will need to go into work to see him and HR manager once my GP has signed me off to sort out my hours etc.

I might actually ask my GP for another sick note for a week or two as I really don't think I am fully ready to return just yet and the last thing I want is to go back to work and then go off on the sick again. I just feel a bit guilty that I have been off so long as I have been off since end of November.

Thanks for your reply and glad to hear that your mammogram results were good.

Kaz xx

Community Champion

Kaz

Good to hear that you had a lovely holiday, the sun really does make us feel better.  Keep in mind mate that you have only recently finished rads and it is going to take a bit of time to get over that before you can start to build up your strength.

With regard to your sick note I am sure that you will be covered as it is not your fault that you can not be seen until Thursday at the earliest, at the end of the day the doctor will not renew a sick note until the expiry of the last one, I think they can back date it to cover the couple of days in between but not until they see you, and you are not allowed to go back to work until they have signed you off anyway, so just tell your manager that.

Are they putting a phased return to work for you and have they done an occupationa health referral so that they can ensure they are looking after your health and wellbeing for now and when you return

Helena xxx

It certainly is a bit of a rollercoaster! I got myself all ready to go out to do some shopping as all the family are coming around for dinner tonight for a late birthday celebration and my car has died!!! Oh dear these things are sent to try us!

Hope your day has been a bit better than mine Liz.

Kaz xx

Kaz

pleased to hear you’re feeling better. It’s all a bit of a rollercoaster isn’t it. 

Liz xx

Thanks Liz,

I am feeling much better today, I think I was just tired and had a bit of the post holiday blues.

Kaz xx

Kaz what you are describing sounds very normal. One of the key things is to try not to avoid too much stuff because despite how it feels it actually increases your anxiety. This can be a viscous circle. Be kind to yourself and tell your BCN and ask about counselling. There should be a psychological service you can access. Best to tackle it before you find yourself avoiding seeing people. Tell your manager. If you work in a big organisation there will be an occupational health service who can provide support. We all feel overwhelmed sometimes. I’m a psychotherapist and I’ve certainly felt overwhelmed myself. It’s normal and good that you are telling people how you feel. Warmest wishes and a hug. Liz

Hubby and I had a wonderful time in Lanzarote, the weather was lovely and it was so peaceful at the villa but only 5 minutes drive to the resort centre, definitely what the doctor ordered but now back to earth with a bump.

Before we went away, apart from the problems with soreness and split skin after the rads, I was thinking that when we got back I would be ready to go back to work but I am now having doubts about that. It all feels a bit daunting and I am not so sure I am ready now. The problem is my sick note runs out tomorrow and I can't get an appointment with my GP. I have to ring up at 8am Thursday to see if there is an appointment available for that day so I guess I will have to ring my manager at work but even that is a big deal and I have to psyche myself up before I do it! I feel like an emotional wreck to be honest and everybody thinks I am ok which makes everything worse. I used to think I was quite a confident person but every ounce of confidence has been knocked out of me, how ridiculous am I having to pluck up courage to go out of the house to the corner shop? I need to give my head a wobble I think, sorry for moaning again but it does help a little.

Kaz xx

Community Champion

Kaz

remember even a little bit of sunshine this time of the year can be very strong and burn without us knowing.  I spent 15 minutes in the garden today and my face is glowing!!

We are forcast some good weather mid week here in Birmingham woo hoo Smiley Happy Smiley Happy xx

Thanks Ali and Helena, got my factor 50 at the read but I think it might be warmer here! 

Kaz xx