Re: March 2018 Radiotherapy

Well done Otter on finishing your rads.

I am now 10 days post rads and my skin has split underneath my boob so will have to contact either my bc nurse or the rads team tomorrow. The fatigue has somehow just floored me too, I slept for 14 hours last night/this morning and I still feel so tired so I think I need to up my fluid intake. Hubby is off work for a week after next week, originally he had two weeks booked off because we were going to have a two week holiday but I really don't feel up to it. We are now thinking of just going away for a few days but not sure whether it is a good idea. I don't know what to do for the best, just not feeling good at the moment. Sorry for moaning.

Kaz xx

Community Champion

Otter

Just a thought, when I finished my rads the team advised me to keep up with the exercise for a good month afterwards, which I did.  In fact there are still times now when I will do them if my shoulder is a bit stiff or tight. Dont know how that would work with your condition but might be worth considering, it just keeps everything a bit looser xxx

Hi I finished my 15 session on Wednesday and so far the worst problem I have is a stiff and painful neck and shoulder but as I had a prd exciting condition that was expected

I used mainly E45 cream and the Aloe Vera gel a few times as yes it does stick to your clothes😱😱

Hope the cream arrives in time but don't worry it's an easy step in comparison to surgery and chemo

Good luck

🤗🤗🤗🤗😘😘😘😘

I completed my 15 on Easter Monday. Each member of the team came out individually to congratulate me. Ive been using double base gel throughout. I bought a tube which I took with me to each treatment and put on after the treatment and before I got dressed! I bought a tub of aloe Vera gel but it just made me feel sticky and my clothes stuck to it so I only used it twice. When I had my review the nurse gave me some nu-gel for some spots of reaction. You squeeze it on and it is supposed to promote healing. I tend to find it flakes off and then irritates my breast - which is pinkish and a bit sore but not too bad. I’m now four days since the last treatment and wonder what the next ten days holds. However, it hasn’t been too bad and it does seem that creams differ according to your individual skin type. The oncologist recommended double base gel and it certainly worked for me. You can get it without a prescription from chemists although some assistants don’t always know you can just buy it. 

Good of luck to everyone in their onward journey. 

Liz x

I am so sorry you have had an upsetting experience. My gp didn't prescribe any creams at all and I just used diprabase and radiance gel which I bought online. How many sessions are you having? Must people cope well with the treatments and very few suffer adverse effects to.ghdir skin. I hope this us the way it goes for you. Try not to worry I'm sure you will feel much better about it all once they start. Sending you hugs 💗💗
Community Champion

Hiya, I completely understand how stressful this is for you and the last thing we need when facing treatment is any unnecessary upset but please don't worry about any adverse effects from radiotheraphy , most people get very few problems and nothing more than a warm boob, I only used a bit of Aqueous cream during treatment then a couple of days of Aloe Vera towards the end. 

I was lying in the sun on holiday 3 weeks later with no problems at all Xx 

Highlighted

Hello everyone

I am about to start rads. I just need to share my frustration and unhappiness at the treatment I have received from Boots Chemists. My GP ordered R1 and R2 for my radiotherapy treatment over 10 days ago and despite two visits to my local Boots they still hasn’t arrived. After waiting almost an hour today I established with the help of one of the pharmacy assistants that the products are available but the Accounts department at Boots simply hasn’t paid for them and the supplier won’t release them until they get the payment. The pharmacy assistant was wonderful but it took her over an hour to establish what had happened back at the area office. I am just so upset that I could have been treated in this way when I need these products now urgently for radiotherapy that starts next week. I’ve decided to cancel the order from Boots and go to another chemist, whom I saw today and who assured me he could get these products within two days. This just shows you that large organisations just couldn’t care less about their customers. 

Sorry about this rant but this situation really stressed me out when I am concerned about my reaction to rads anyway. I’m allergic to Aloe vera and get horrible nettles and insect stings so I am concerned I may get burns. Not getting these creams on time really put the lid on it. 

F

Thanks Helena

Spent the afternoon caughting up with a friend that I haven't seen for 2 months

It was great to focus on something else

Yes I will keep up with the Aloe Vera gel and E45 as still a bit sore and red

Looking forward to being able to go swimming again and start losing some of this chemo weight and get fit again

🤗🤗🤗🤗

Community Champion

Otter

Woo hoo, ringing the bells for you mate, congratulations, hope you are doing something nice to celebrate.  remember to keep up the regime for the next couple of weeks as the rads will still be taking effect.

Helena xxx

Well done Otter! Smiley Happy x

I've had my last rads 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎆🎆🎆🎆😊😊😊😊

Community Champion

Bim

I was advised to take in 2 litres a day but also you need to be careful you do not drink too much xx

Thanks for the advice Helena! Yeah I’m constantly thirsty, so will keep trying to drink more 👍

cheers x

Community Champion

Kaz

I remember when I finished mine I was fine until I was walking across the car park and then suddenly burst into tears, it was just the relief of it all.

Takeaway and champers sounds really good to me and a nice meal out tomorrow perfect way to celebrate

Helena xxx

Thanks Helena,

Hubby and I were planning on going out for a nice meal but I wanted to watch the ladies on The Full Monty so we had a takeaway and some champagne and we are now going out for a meal tomorrow night. 

I blubbed all the way through watching The Full Monty, I am so emotional now I can cry at the drop of a hat but I did notice that the ladies that had actually had bc were also far more emotional than the rest of the very brave ladies.

Kaz xx

Community Champion

Otter

Thats great at least it gets it over a day earlier and then you have your lovely session on Thursday to look forward to xxx

Thanks Helena

They had a space on Monday so will now finish Wednesday then Thursday have can just go to !y first free Macmillan Reflexology session and relax

Hope you all have a good weekend

🤗🤗🤗🤗😘😘😘😘

Community Champion

Bim

Are you taking in enough fluid, as the rads can make you dehydrated and cause tiredness/fatigue.

Well done that you are nearly there, have a lovely restful few days off rads now.

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Otter

I would think it was probably a co-incidence and more to do with your own natural healing process.

You are so nearly there now.  Are you taking enough fluid in as the tiredness/fatigue can be as a result of the dehydration from the rads, but also the constant travelling to and from the hospital.  Have a lovely 3 days off after today.

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Kaz

Woo hoo, well done lady, so pleased for you and hope you are doing something lovely to celebrate the end of active treatment.  Yay Smiley Happy :0

Helena xxx