Did you mean: 

March 2018 Radiotherapy

Re: March 2018 Radiotherapy

Hi ladies

Number 4 done 😎😎😎😊😊😊

Last night I had pain in my boob and it feels a bit sore is this normal

😱😱😱😢😢😢

Thanks Helena. I’m checking in on Facebook each time I go to the cancer centre. This way my friends know what’s happening and I get lots of support. I think it’s good to let people understand what a journey it is and that lots of people go through it.

Hi ladies

im new to this site and been reading all your messages and tips,  which are really helpful and reassuring.  I have a planning meeting next Tuesday for my radiotherapy, so the next step. Good luck ladies with your ongoing treatments.

X x

Community Champion

Portraitist

Tomorrow you will be over half way and on the way to completing your rads.  Hope the issues with your breathlessness eases for you.

Helena xx

Had my seventh of fifteen at 8.30 this morning. I’m having a bit of breathlessness and think the treatment may have triggered my asthma. Don’t know if anyone else has had this? The breast care physio has given me some breathing exercises to stretch the lung out on my left hand side and the asthma nurse has checked my chest -which is fine. 

I think I’m very lucky to be being treated at the new Guys cancer centre as there are masses of machines and they are all brand new. I didn’t wait at all today or yesterday although later in the day has been rather different.

warm wishes and hugs to everyone having rads in March. 

Liz xx

Community Champion

Ladies

Good luck to you all today with your rads, hoping that the weather has improved and that your journey to and from the hospital will be better, no machine breakdowns today hopefully.

Helena xxx

Thanks Otter,

Glad your third session went well.

Seventh session done for me. Was a bit of a nightmare, got there half an hour early only to be told that they were running 45 minutes behind because the machine that was broken on Friday was still not fixed. Eventually got zapped and then the journey home was horrendous, took 45 minutes to travel the first 3 miles, mustn't grumble though. No side effects so far, apart from a hot boob, thinking positive.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Kaz xx

Highlighted

Kaz

Hope you got your treatment ok today

I've had my third roads were still a bit icy but managed to get there on time

Hope everyone else is doing ok 

🤗🤗🤗❄❄❄😘😘😘

Positive thoughts come your way and everything crossed that we don't get too much snow ❄❄❄⛄⛄⛄ or I will be 🎿⛷🎿⛷ my way to the hospital on Monday 😱😱😱😜😜😜

Thanks Otter and Ladybowler, am now hoping the snow doesn't stop me getting there on Monday! I need to start thinking positive!

Kaz xx

hi I just had my 5th of 15. Using doublebase gel and have some aloe Vera gel in reserve for nasty effects. Not too bad so far but a rather surreal experience, a bit like being in a sci fi film!

Oh Kaz

I thought it bad enough I had to wait an hour for my second sorry you've been cancelled again 

Fingers crossed for Monday

😘😘😘😘🤗🤗🤗🤗

Community Champion

Kaz

Oh mate what a pain, you will get there honest xxx

Today's rads cancelled again - Machine broken. Will I ever get to the end? Fed up! 

Kaz xx

Community Champion

CK

I think it is the travelling that is the worst when having rads, the sessions themselves are not so bad, but I found for me it was the joirney home, which tended to be around rush hour that was the worst and so tiring.  Not long now and you will be finished, half way tomorrow xxx

CK

Hi ladies
Good to see all doing well! Ive had 7 out of 15 and they have gone so fast. I sometimes go to Maggies Centre b4 or after appointments whic help too. It has got a little tiring but it cod be all the travelling at rush hour sometimes.
Skin so far good and slapling on cream b4 and after treatment helps. I take tbe cream with me to avoid skin drying.
Later one tomo so no need to leave b4 8am, rbank goodness.xx

Hi Ali

I had first today and I was told they took x-rays for first 3 days then they would be weekly this was to check they had the correct position I think

Was also told I could use my normal deodorant and moistureisers but use E45 and Aloe vera gel after treatment

😎😎😎

Hi ladies. Number 3 done for me today. It is going ok but I didn't think each session would take so long. Is anyone else having scans done every day? I'm told they will drop to weekly if the first 3 are within their tolerances so really hope they are.

I was told to continue using whatever moisturiser I normally use. Same with deodorant unless it had aluminium in which mine did 😕 xx

Glad number one went well for you Otter.

Just going back to conflicting advise on creams and things, I asked for advise when I had my appointment the other day as I had not been told anything. I was told to use whatever I normally use re shower, deodorant etc and if I needed a moisturiser to use E45 or any Aquaeous cream as apparently after a lot of research that is the new protocol.

My appointments are all in the tea time rush hour which is a bit of a pain, takes 25 mins going and about 70 mins coming home but needs must so hey ho.

Good luck ladies,

Kaz xx

Community Champion

otter

Great to know that your first apt has gone well.  xxx

Good for you Otter65, i start next WedsHeart

looking for some cool emoji's to post...

Hi ladies

First 🌞🛏 session all done 🤗🤗🤗

Was early and seen early but they have changed all my appointment times so going from 10 to all different times so will have to try and get the right time on the right day which with my chemo / fibo brain will be a challenge

Hope everyone is doing ok

🤗🤗🤗😘😘😘

CK

I agree Jobey about the conflicting advice. Ive seen somewhere not to use Aqueous cream as it has Sodium Lauryl Sulphate which is a skin irritant, yet many use it. It depends what your skin is like and what it may react or not react to.
I have prepared
Diprobase
Cetraben
E45
R1 and R2 cream
Aloe Vera Gel from H&B in the fridge

I have very dry skin anyway so need to moisturise morning and night so I slap some cream on b4 a d after rads just as a barrier.

Had 3 and ok now but they said if you do react it will be after at least a week.

Next 3 treatments are at 9am so will hit the traffic so will take one hour when its usually 20 minutes.

Have a good weekend and Happy Mothers Day if you are a mother and to your mums.xx
Community Champion

Ladies I used Aqueous cream twice a day then pure aloe Vera from Holland and Barrett towards the end which was great at taking the heat out! Shaved and used normal deodorant  through rads with no problems, there is loads of conflicting advice but do what feels right for you , I went abroad 3 weeks after treatment finished much to the horror of the radiologist who had all but convinced me my poor boob would conbust in the heat! Slathered it in 50 factor and had no effects at all! Xx Jo 

Well having had no advise at all I am currently using Johnson's baby wash in the shower and E45 cream but have been using my normal deodorant so will see what the outcome is.

Yes thank you I have got my exemption card 

😊

Community Champion

Otter

Have you got a medical exemption certificate yet?  If not you can get one from your GP, as you are being prescribed tablets as part of your treatment, you are exempt from ALL prescription charges for the duration of your taking the tablets.

Helena xx

Hi All

Thanks for the advice I've got some E45 so will start using it today

I've got an appointment with oncologist week after I finish rads to find out what hormone tablets I will need to take

🤗🤗🤗

Community Champion

Alibobs

Yep that was like me, it looked as if I had had an iron pressed on where the booster rads were.

So glad to hear that you are feeling better Smiley Happy Smiley Happy xxx

Also used Johnson's baby wash for showering and sanex deodorant.

My gp wouldn't prescribe any creams for rads!! O had to buy my own. So I went for the radiance gel. Specifically made for rads!! Expensive but good results. No burnt skin or soreness to speak of. As someone else said just looked like I'd been stamped with an iron!!😂. Only aches and pains from within the treated area. Hope all goes ok for you all. I'm 9 days post rads now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

Hi, ive been told my treatment  should begin in the next 2 weeks. I've  been given  a sheet of "5 golden rules"

1. Apply E45 cream twice daily

2. Use SIMPLE brand soap only

3. Shower, do not soak ie NO baths or swimming 

4. No shaving & no deodorant on side receiving treatment 

5. Pat dry. Do not rub the area.

i hope this helps

Community Champion

Otter

Tell me about it!!!  If you read some of the earlier posts with regard to moisturising etc., there are so many variations on what to use or what not to.  There is something called R1 R2 which you can get your GP to prescribe that several ladies have used on here, however I believe you have to start it on the first day of your rads and use throughout, I think one is a moisturiser and one the other is the cooling gel.  Perhaps you could give your GP a call on Monday and see if they are able to prescribe it for you.

Are you going to be on any hormone blocking tablets, ie tamoxifen or the like?

Helena x

Thanks Helena

You would have thought the could be standard information they could give everyone so we didn't do anything that would affect the treatment

I will see if I can get some of the deodorant and start putting some E 45 on from today

Thanks

🤗🤗🤗🤗

Community Champion

CK

Are you drinking enough during the day to counter your waking up thirsty during the night?  xxx

Community Champion

Otter

When I had my rads last year, I was advised to use E45 and moisturise the breast at least twice a day but never less than two hours before my appointment.  I used to take some with me and apply it when I was getting dressed again afterwards.  I was also told not to use spray or roll on deoderant as it had metal in it, ie aluminium, they advised me to get some pitrock deoderant stick which is a natural one, it is a bit funny to use as it needs to be applied on either damp skin or the end of the stick needs to be wetted before applying.

I was also told to drink a good 2 litres of water a day as this helps with the potential fatigue as a result of dehydration from the radiotherapy.

Helena xx

Hi Twistle

Glad you are ok after your first two I start next Thursday

I also wasn't given much information about creams I asked if I needed to be doing anything before and was told just do what you would normally do so using deodorant etc but I don't moisturizer so was sure if I should be putting any on the effected breast before but was told No

What has everyone else been told

🤗🤗🤗🤗

Hi CK,

Yes I had my first yesterday and have had my second one today. Nothing to report really, all went smoothly and don't feel any different up to now but I realise it's early days yet.

I have not really been given any info on Maggies and about what creams to use and what not to use toiletries wise, I only know from the things I have read on this forum. Has anybody else experienced the same?

Hope everyone is doing well, have a nice weekend off.

Kaz xx

CK

I started Tamoxifen b4 rads. Isnt it strange how we do things differently. Number 3 today and have a late appointment again at 5.40pm.
Rads itself is easy and I'm sure will get more tired as I go along. Im slapping lots of cream on.
Ive been waking up in the night very thirsty so need lots of fluid but then need the toilet so tired during the day.x

Twistie, did you have first one yesterday? Hope went well.x

Thanks CK 

I've been having hot flushes ever since I started chemo and I'm presuming I will also be on Tamoxifen  to but don't find out till after rads on ,10th April

How's your rads been going 

🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

CK

Hi Otter
I got hot flushes from Docetaxol and now on Tamoxifen for 10 years so it looks like I will need to take a fan wherever I go!
The drugs are still in me as I still have aches and pains all over and still recovering from op too. Im glad rads has started, just want tbem done and then I can concentrate on recovering although still have 12 Herceptin jabs!
We have done so well! X

Hi CK

Glad to here your first session went well I start next Thursday as doing 15 session and will be among after last chemo

My friend gave me some Aloe Vera gel and she said to put it on after every session to help with the burning

I don't find out which hormone tablets I will be on until I see the oncologist after I finish Rads on 10 April but I'm still getting bad hot flushes from chemo most nights can be very unpleasant 😱😱😱

CK

Hi ladies.
Had my 1st rads today and🤞they are easy peasy compared to chemo but can see it become quiet tiring after a few more. I have 15 in total. If theres no delays it will be easier. I'm there at 8.45am tomo so need to leave an hour b4 not to hit traffic.
I went to Maggies Calms session first which may have helped me.
Using Diprobase b4 and after and have Aloe Vera Gel in fridge and going to slap some on as the treated boobie is a lot warmer than the other.

These Tamoxifen giving me hot flushes now and then make it even warmer:0

Had my planning today and will start next Tuesday. I'm having 20 sessions. I have to do the breath hold thing so need to practice that.
Ali xx

Thanks for the support everyone.

CK, I am not sure if there is a Maggies at the Salford place, nobody has mentioned anything about it if there is. Good luck this afternoon.

I now start mine Thursday afternoon, fingers crossed that doesn't get cancelled.

Good luck to all.

Kaz xx

Community Champion

CK

He he Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Know what you mean but it does work xx

CK

LadyBowler
Will do! Had a massage today and drank loads after that. Need to move the toilet near to my bed!!!
Community Champion

Kaz

Oh I am so sorry that this has happened, it is just so frustrating when you build yourself up to something and this happens, but presumably you are starting on Thursday now xx

Feeling for you Kaz. 💓

I should have started RT by now it got delayed because i have cording in my arm and cannot place it in the correct position. I did cry afterward 😳

Have you got a new date?

Community Champion

CK

We are both well thank you, grateful that the snow has now gone xxx

Make sure you take in plenty of fluid, at least 2 litres a day as it will help with the potential dehydration and fatigue xx