Re: June 2018 Radiotherapy

First one done.
All over before i really realised what was going on.
Time will yell 😊

Thank you Gill

so reassuring

to read

your success 

Hi Ladybowler,

Yes, I am drinking over 2 liters I would say, I have had a short walk and feel a little better now, I think I may cut out the caffine tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

At least my arm is fine this week although my breast is a bit sore - oh well roll on 25th June.

Sunflower

Community Champion

Sunflower

You bet it will, already made a note of it xxx

are you taking in enough fluids as that will help with fatigue, good that you are listening to your body as that will help you

Hi Everyone,

Ladybowler, thats a great bell, I hope it will get rung for me on the 25th,

I had my 7th today, came home and think I am starting to get the side effects - Ugh, felt a bit tired yesterday, but had to nap for two hours today, I am picking up a bit now but was just wondering if the side effects subside during  the second weekend a bit then start to build up  on the third week again or does it just get worse and worse each day  from now on?  I have got a few things planned on Sunday and am thinking may be I should cancel them if I am going to feel like I do today?

Sunflower.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Jencat

Glad you liked them.

I think you are right a combination of everything and it just spills over, which is good as it is better to get it out. 

How was your first day after rads Smiley Happy Smiley Happy xx

Hi DCB and Loz.   number 6 for me today and all fine.  keep doing arm excercises.  I stand slightly in front of a door and raise arms up and back to touch the door.   I do keep getting shoulder spasm and take ibrupofen 1 hour before I go, usually half an hour been have had a bit of a wait this last 2 days to machines being down.  I know everbody reacts differently but I had a review yesterday and radiography said I will start to see colour change this time next week.   She also mentioned my skin was looking really good and asked what I was using.   I am using Aveeno 4 times a day.   Morning, Lunch time, straight after treatment when getting changed and night time so fingers crossed it will stay this way.  Drinking 2 litres a day excluding coffees and always take full bottle with me and knock that bad why waiting and after.    Also asked at the end when all the formal stuff had been done if I could do my nails.   Yes I can and her words were you can do anything as long as its not in the breast area and won't affect the treatment.   Again all clinics are different.   I hope my 5 days experience helps you both moving forward with your own.  One other thing is walking, I go for a walk through the village every two hours and if I can't do it or in other words can't be bothered I go up and down the stairs till I get a bit of a sweat on. 

Fit bit is going on meltdown.

Ladies I am sure all will go great for you and all sessions complete and ringing that bell.   Four times it rang in my clinic yesterday and I can't wait to ring it and going to video it also then put on facebook as advise to all my friends that it can be beaten, I have done it, finished active treatment  and to inform them all to check their boobs. 

Jencat - Ringing that bell for you.    and bet it feels so strange not having to go today?   

Have a great day all and good rads today.    Mine is not till 16:45 today.   

Helena, I'm glad I'm not the only one who cried after finishing rads! I couldn't believe how emotional I felt, even getting changed afterwards made me feel teary! (Probably not helped either that I was tired as my treatment was at 8am!)

I loved the bells btw, thank you Smiley Happy xx

I feel tired today Dcb, but I'm not sure if part of it isn't down to the emotion of yesterday! I did feel overwhelmingly tired a few times during treatment and had to have naps, but think it was partly down to the journey each day as well. The radiologist said to make sure I drank a lot as that helps with the fatigue. x

I feel as if the physical side is finished, but now I need to spend a bit of time looking after myself mentally x

Glad your first rads went ok Dcb Smiley Happy I remember thinking on my second day that I didn't think I could do it and 25 sessions seemed forever! (Didn't know at the time that the 25 sessions were only the ordinary rads and the boosters hadn't been added on yet, good job I didn't!) But once I got into the routine and got to know the staff, the time has gone really quickly! x

Congratulations for finishing rads too Daisiemoo! Smiley Happy How are you feeling today? x

Thank you all very much for your lovely replies and for the bell ringing! There wasn't a bell at the hospital, so thank you for those Smiley Happy

I didn't celebrate Helena as when I got back YD was in agony with a kidney infection, so spent the afternoon at the doctor's with her! Smiley Sad Also, ED won't be back until the weekend, so I'm sure we'll do something then. We did end up at ex-husband's house after the doctor's though and had dinner together with his step-daughter and her two small daughter's, which was nice. (Bit strange I know, but ex-hus and I get on quite well)

I'll celebrate properly once I know the cancer's gone-there was a microscopic amount in the internal mammory node, so I'm sure I'll need to have another scan in a few weeks time once everything has settled down after rads. I've worried a bit that maybe I won't have been given enough rads for it to be zapped, although the radiographers have assured me that the amount of treatments I needed are carefully worked out and the treatment nurse said she'd be very surprised if there would be any cancer left. Despite all this, there is a bit of me thinking perhaps I should have had more boosters to be on the safe side!

Found it quite difficult to sleep last night, I think it was the emotion of the day, so feel tired this morning! I used to go to rads at different times, so it's not really hit me yet that I'm not going today!

It's a year ago today that I was diagnosed with bc, what a year! xx

I start tomorrow

be glad when I've been to first one

Dcb

ringing the bell for you both Jencat and Daisiemoo. - tried to add a flash bell picture but I’m a technophobe!

Great to hear people coming out the other side - how are you both feeling? is it right that the fatigue hits after treatment stops? even if it does I’m sure there is also such a great relief to be finished with those daily trips! 

Day 1 done for me, was strangely very anxious but it was all very straightforward! 1 down, 19 to go! 

Have great days all

Thanks Ladybowler

Breast care on radiotherapy

Community Champion

Daisiemoo

Yay ringing the bells for you as well today  xx

ringing bells.gif

Last rads done today, yeh it is such a good feeling 😊😊😊then went out to lunch to celebrate.

Now the count down starts for my reconstruction in 12 months and the decision of who what and when.

Good luck everyone with there rads over the rest of this month 😊

Community Champion

Jencat

Yep that is the release of all the emotions, I remember crying on my way back to the car park on my last one, that is it now end of active treatment. Well done you lady it has been a long haul but you have done it.

Ringing the bells for you this afternoon xxxx

ringing bells.gif

Hope you are doing something lovely to celebrate

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Samantha

My tattoes were all the same size I think, to be honest I can not find them now, not sure if the one in the middle is a freckle or the tattoo.

I am not sure about breast cording, perhaps you could put a question on the Ask Our Nurses to see if they might be able to help, alternatively ring your bcn to see if she is able to give you advise.

Helena xx