Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

January 2019 Radiotherapy

Community Champion

Re: January 2019 Radiotherapy

Bonnie

So glad to hear that things have been better with you xxxx

Thanks Helena and others for the helpful replies. The last couple of days have not been too bad as I've taken your advice and been drinking far more fluids. I also been far more liberal with the QV cream and letting it dry as long as possible. Hopefully my skin will not get worse but knowing about Polymem is useful.

Community Champion

Bonnie

Definitely plenty of fluid as it helps with the dehydration effects of rads, they recommended me 2 litres a day.

There is a dressing that they prescribed me which is used when the skin breaks down called Polymem, I was given some as mine started to under my breast in the fold and also the area around my nipple was sore, it was really good and especially around the nipple as it acted as a barrier between my skin and bra.

As you will see on here not everyone experiences side effects after the rads have finished, I just had this little issue for a few days in the two weeks after I finished which when they told me that it would peak, my skin went quite dark and pink around where I had the boosters but nothing more, they have to tell you about the potential side effects though.

The only other thing I would say is listen to your body and rest when it tells you to.  I would find that if I did not take in enough fluids in the day, by late afternoon I would need to have a nap for 10 minutes and then I was fine again.

Helena xxx

Thanks Jane. Yes great feeling! We were going away or for a meal but due to weather and me getting a sore throat and cold not sure we will. Still we will do soon and am hoping to go abroad soon too although prices have risen I think hubbie said this week. It's only money though. Keep in touch Jane. Will see you on the Club Tropicana thread hopefully?
Love Linda xxx

Hey Linda,

Congratulations! It's a great feeling isn't it? I am still feeling fab thank you. Lots of energy and no ill-effects. Hope this continues!!! I will check out that thread you mentioned!

Love Jane xxx

Hi,

First time I had no effects of radiotherapy bar very slight pinkness (I've had far worse sunburn). This time I've done 9 of 15 and I have nothing at all. I don't go bralesss because I'm working full time and just popping out for treatment . Cream wise I used acqueous cream first time, this time I'm using some garner moistriker that my skin seems to like purely because I have loads in the house.

hi, I've just joined this thread as was desperately seeking advice on side effects of radiotherapy. I have completed 8 sessions out of 15 in total but my skin is already sore and have been told it will get worse till it peaks well after treatment is finished! So I am dreading the next few weeks to be honest, especially after I have just recovered from chemo. I've been advised only to use QV cream on my skin, nothing else. Also to go braless and get as much air around the breast as is possible (or decent!). After reading your replies, I think I must drink more water. Any other advice very welcome indeed.

Thanks Helena and Sam. xxx

Congrats to Linda & Kathy for getting to the finish line.
2/15 rad sessions down for me & got my first of 26 Avelumab treatment after rads tomorrow so bit apprehensive. As it's a new trial it's just fear of the unknown but I know I'll be fine once it starts. Hopefully the side effects will be minimal as it's a year long treatment.
Good luck for tomorrow if you're having any treatment/tests/appointments.
Sam xx
Community Champion

Linda Corinne

I am ringing the bell for you tonight, have a lovely evening and enjoy the party food

Helena xxx

ringing bells.gif

All treatment done and dusted. Celebrating with some Xmas party food! Will now join the Club Tropicana thread. Hope to see you on there Jane? How are you doing? x

Yeah I had 2 blokes today too. First time its not been at least one woman. Mind you, I'm so used to getting my tits, or lack thereof on the left, out for anyone ot doesn't bother me now. The itchy nose always seem to get as I'm holding the position bothers me more.

Number one today....

Realised I now have absolutley no modesty left as I was chatting to the young male radiographer afterwards totally topless and didn't notice!  Of course he would have been watching the whole thing anyway, but thats kind of different as I couldn't see him!!

Hi I am 68 had 2 ops now waiting to start Radio therapy at Salford Royal live in Wigan anyone else on here from Wigan had or waiting for Radiotherapy?

I finished last Thursday, my follow up consultation's tomorrow, and (says she touching wood) I have had no side effects at all, not even warm or pink! Now being a week out, does anybody know whether I can relax and stop waiting for them yet?

Get discharged tomorrow after last rads. Will join the Club Tropicana thread. Its been a long hard slog but I made it. Well done me! Has anyone whos finished had many se's from rads.x

Thanks Helena that’s really useful to know 😊
I’m lucky in that all my sessions are covered with someone taking me.
In quite a bit of pain from the hormone injection so right now thinking I won’t stand that for 10 years and maybe better opting for my ovaries removed πŸ€”
Always something to consider xxx
Community Champion

JD-W

Yay that is good news you now have a start date and something to work to, before you know where you are you will be at your last session.

Moisturise your skin 2/3 times a day, and make sure that you do not do it less than 2 hours before a session, drink plenty of fluid, I was recommended to take a good 2 litres a day, as that will help with the potential dehydration effects from the rads which can cause fatigue and most of all listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to rest.  Take a good book with you as there will probably be occasions where you will be waiting around a lot, I know when I had mine they were very often running 30 mins late..

If someone offers to take you to and from the sessions take advantage of that, I dont know how long your journey will be but if the help is offered take it, also it allows your friends/family to feel that they are helping you even in some small way.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Hello everyone,
I’ve joined this thread today as I’ve been for my planning session and 1st of my hormone injection today.
Start Radiotherapy sessions on Monday next week and have 15 sessions.
Any tips are welcome and hope everyone is getting on ok 😊
Julie x

Thank you Jmag81! Good to know that some people don't get any side effects from Tamoxifen.

And well done you keeping up a full time job whilst undertaking treatment and looking after a 2 year old.

I have a 5 year old and hoping also to work as much as possible (apart from attending the treatment).x