Re: January 2019 Radiotherapy

Fantastic news Jane 🔔 hope you are celebrating tonight 🎉🥂 xx

Yes am on calcium tablets Jane. Yes I can imagine you must be feeling fab about finishing rads. I can't wait til Wed and am hoping to celebrate somehow maybe a nice meal out not sure yet.
At my review recently they said when I see the surgeon to check re my mammogram in Oct as you have to leave it a while after surgery before you have a mammogram. Xxxx

Hey Linda, 

Sorry to hear about the osteopenia. Are you on medication for this?

I have just come back from my last radiotherapy today. Yayyy! The feeling of ringing that bell was amazing!!!!! I still have Herceptin injections til June, but they are fine. Reconstruction at the end of the year, I expect. But I feel a massive goal has been reached and I am SO happy!!!!!!

Jane xxxx

I am having 20 including 5 which are called a boost as my margin was 0.5 mm. The boost starts today so it will be like the first one. Have you finished Jane today?
I have been told I have Osteopenia the stage before Osteoprosis. Will that be due to the chemo as my Mum doesn't have it and she's 86! I am 52.x

I’m 45 and getting 23 treatments so almost 5 weeks. They told me if you’re younger you are more likely to get more treatments but I guess it does depend on individual cases. I’ve had 5 so far and all good apart from very sensitive nipple and my wounds feel a bit hot later in the day after treatment but then it seems to settle down again. Hope you’re all getting on well.
Fiona xx

I'm also under 50 and will be having 3 weeks of radiotherapy not 5. Maybe it depends on location and/or the individual treatment plan?

Morning all

I only had 3 weeks 1st time round when I was 42?

2 down so far. Shooting across to Guys from work then back again. The amount of waiting around is so annoying as is the cramp I get in my back when I lie on the bed. It takes me a few minutes to settle that down. Other than that it's all good.
Highlighted

Hi Willie.

Apparently the number of sessions depends on your age. If you're under 50 like me you get 5 weeks instead of 3!

I started on 27th Dec and apart from the hour long trek to the hospital so far so good. I'm using Diprobase and I asked the radiologist for some and she gave me a big tub of it. Don't buy it. Get it prescribed. You should get free prescriptions anyway.

I exercise daily to ward off fatigue but I'm starting to feel it a bit these past two days. Not sure if it's from the radiotherapy or post Christmas blues though! I do need to drink more water so I'm going to take the good advice on here and have a bottle of water on hand to drink throughout the day.

Good luck to you all ladies
Xxx

#6 today and I've developed a rash on the underside of my boob. It's not sore or itchy, will ask the team about it tomorrow. Anyone have similar?

The timings of the holidays have been really good for me as it means that I haven't had a 5 day week - just 4 days a week. I've got the 11th out of 15 tomorrow.

I've got #6 of 19 sessions tomorrow, started on 27th but due to hols all been a bit stop start, this week will be my first full week.

I was given Betnovate steroid cream to use once a day and zerobase moisturiser to use twice a day by the radiology team, have been using it religiously and drinking lots of water too.

Minimal side effects so far, my boob tends to be a bit warm for a couple of hours after and my nipple is a wee bit sensitive (but it still was after surgery, they went in through my nipple to get the lump) and no fatigue as yet (just as well as I'm working throughout and have a 2 year old, have no time to be tired!)

Will be good to see how everyone gets on, especially when the advice re various creams etc is so different!

Hi Jane, thanks for your reply. I'm very happy that you're getting well on radiotherapy. Hope it will be easy for me too :-)

Hi ladies,

I'm in too. 1st of 15 sessions on the 15th.
Also signed up for a new phase III drug trial, which starts in a couple of weeks if I'm one of the chosen.

Best of wishes,
Sam xx

Hi Carol LIna,

Two weeks after surgery, I had a review with the surgeon and the BCN. Surgery was 31st October, and review was 15th November. After that meeting, I received a letter in the post, inviting me to the raditherapy planning appointment, which was on 3rd December. My first three radiotherapy sessions were given to me at that appointment. They try to keep it at the same time each day, and I requested afternoons from 2nd January, as I am back to work, and they accommodated that. My radiotherapy sessions started on 18th December, and, due to bank holidays, will finish on 10th January. I have found this stage of treatment really easy, but I have heard that tiredness can kick in about nine days after the last radiotherapy, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't happen to me!

Good luck and best wishes

Jane xxx

Hey ladies, thanks for posting your experiences. I hope you all have had a wonderful Christmas time and New Year eve.

Could someone tell me what are the steps between the surgery (I had lumpectomy three weeks ago) and the beginning of radiotherapy, please?

I'm starting to feel anxious again after surgery since I don't know what will happen next and my BC nurse doesn't reply my emails anymore!

Thanks in advance and wish you a great weekend.

Carol xx

Thanks Jane, i think i will take your advice and get that cream you mentioned x

Hi Jujustu3,

Welcome to this thread. I have had ten out of fifteen radiotherapy sessions and have had no effects so far. I am drinking at least two litres of water a day, and trying to exercise regularly, as these are both meant to counteract fatigue.

One of these lovely ladies on this forum recommended Biafine cream from Amazon. It has been absolutely fantastic. I have had no redness or soreness, and one of the radiography staff today commented on how good the irradiated area was looking. The cream is expensive ( £15.99 for a large tube), but I am using it three times a day ( morning and night, and straight after the session as I bring it with me), and the tube will last til the end of my sessions. I also bring some wet wipes with me, and use this on the mastectomy site just prior to my session, as I have read you shouldn't have cream on the site when you have the radiotherapy ( but I have also read that it makes no difference!).

Good luck with your treatment

Jane x

Hi ya. I will be joining you this month. Had my planning apt today. Starting 17th Jan, consultant hasnt decided if im having 15 or 23 sessions yet. Radiographers said i cud use E45 cream so will use that i think?

Julie x

Linda corinne - no, I had a lumpectomy this time, with chemo and rads. Not an improvement, I feel.

Community Champion

Bee

It might be worth giving your breast care nurse a call to see if she can check it out.  You should get an appointment first of all to see your oncologist, following that about 2/3 weeks later you will get an apt for your planning session and usually rads start about 2/3 weeks after that, well that is what happened at my hospital

Helena xx