Re: January 2019 Radiotherapy

Hi I am 68 had 2 ops now waiting to start Radio therapy at Salford Royal live in Wigan anyone else on here from Wigan had or waiting for Radiotherapy?

I finished last Thursday, my follow up consultation's tomorrow, and (says she touching wood) I have had no side effects at all, not even warm or pink! Now being a week out, does anybody know whether I can relax and stop waiting for them yet?

Get discharged tomorrow after last rads. Will join the Club Tropicana thread. Its been a long hard slog but I made it. Well done me! Has anyone whos finished had many se's from rads.x

Thanks Helena that’s really useful to know 😊
I’m lucky in that all my sessions are covered with someone taking me.
In quite a bit of pain from the hormone injection so right now thinking I won’t stand that for 10 years and maybe better opting for my ovaries removed 🤔
Always something to consider xxx
Community Champion

JD-W

Yay that is good news you now have a start date and something to work to, before you know where you are you will be at your last session.

Moisturise your skin 2/3 times a day, and make sure that you do not do it less than 2 hours before a session, drink plenty of fluid, I was recommended to take a good 2 litres a day, as that will help with the potential dehydration effects from the rads which can cause fatigue and most of all listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to rest.  Take a good book with you as there will probably be occasions where you will be waiting around a lot, I know when I had mine they were very often running 30 mins late..

If someone offers to take you to and from the sessions take advantage of that, I dont know how long your journey will be but if the help is offered take it, also it allows your friends/family to feel that they are helping you even in some small way.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Hello everyone,
I’ve joined this thread today as I’ve been for my planning session and 1st of my hormone injection today.
Start Radiotherapy sessions on Monday next week and have 15 sessions.
Any tips are welcome and hope everyone is getting on ok 😊
Julie x

Thank you Jmag81! Good to know that some people don't get any side effects from Tamoxifen.

And well done you keeping up a full time job whilst undertaking treatment and looking after a 2 year old.

I have a 5 year old and hoping also to work as much as possible (apart from attending the treatment).x

I've got #10 of 19 today, 15 + 4 boosts, I'm 37. Think it all depends on individual diagnosis, recurrence risk, stage, grade etc. I'm starting to feel a bit tired now, but working full time and having a 2 year old so not sure I can blame the rads! Using my prescribed creams daily, but starting to go a bit pink and my nipple has gone a bit leathery!

@Nuala, I started tamoxifen a couple of months ago, after my op but before rads started. I have absolutely no side effects at all, I think you only ever hear the bad parts but many don't have bad side effects so try to not to worry about it.

I had a good day yesterday in that I didn't have to wait the usual 30 minutes plus. Left work, shot across to Guys, had treatment and back in less than an hour. That's how it should work.

Hi everyone.

I have my booking appointment next Monday and hopefully will get date to start after that. Not sure how long I will have to wait?

Initially thought 15 sessions but as margins tight they are giving me an extra 'boost' week. So 20 in total.

Looks like I'm also going to go on the hormone tablets as ER+ so not looking forward to that either.

So all ahead of me. Thanks for all advice on creams, drinking water, walking, etc. All good to know.

Nuala x

Hi all I finished my radiotherapy beginning of December, 15 treatments & an extra 8 boost,  23 treatments in total. I was recommended  a  baby moisturiser cream from a company called called  Childs Farm you can get it in boots and most big supermarkets. It’s very kind &  suitable for children with eczema and psoriasis.

I met some amazing people, truly inspiring, I suffered No side-effects from the radiotherapy only problem I am having is from the hormone tablets. Good luck ladies. 

Fantastic news Jane 🔔 hope you are celebrating tonight 🎉🥂 xx

Yes am on calcium tablets Jane. Yes I can imagine you must be feeling fab about finishing rads. I can't wait til Wed and am hoping to celebrate somehow maybe a nice meal out not sure yet.
At my review recently they said when I see the surgeon to check re my mammogram in Oct as you have to leave it a while after surgery before you have a mammogram. Xxxx

Hey Linda, 

Sorry to hear about the osteopenia. Are you on medication for this?

I have just come back from my last radiotherapy today. Yayyy! The feeling of ringing that bell was amazing!!!!! I still have Herceptin injections til June, but they are fine. Reconstruction at the end of the year, I expect. But I feel a massive goal has been reached and I am SO happy!!!!!!

Jane xxxx

I am having 20 including 5 which are called a boost as my margin was 0.5 mm. The boost starts today so it will be like the first one. Have you finished Jane today?
I have been told I have Osteopenia the stage before Osteoprosis. Will that be due to the chemo as my Mum doesn't have it and she's 86! I am 52.x

I’m 45 and getting 23 treatments so almost 5 weeks. They told me if you’re younger you are more likely to get more treatments but I guess it does depend on individual cases. I’ve had 5 so far and all good apart from very sensitive nipple and my wounds feel a bit hot later in the day after treatment but then it seems to settle down again. Hope you’re all getting on well.
Fiona xx

I'm also under 50 and will be having 3 weeks of radiotherapy not 5. Maybe it depends on location and/or the individual treatment plan?

Morning all

I only had 3 weeks 1st time round when I was 42?

2 down so far. Shooting across to Guys from work then back again. The amount of waiting around is so annoying as is the cramp I get in my back when I lie on the bed. It takes me a few minutes to settle that down. Other than that it's all good.

Hi Willie.

Apparently the number of sessions depends on your age. If you're under 50 like me you get 5 weeks instead of 3!

I started on 27th Dec and apart from the hour long trek to the hospital so far so good. I'm using Diprobase and I asked the radiologist for some and she gave me a big tub of it. Don't buy it. Get it prescribed. You should get free prescriptions anyway.

I exercise daily to ward off fatigue but I'm starting to feel it a bit these past two days. Not sure if it's from the radiotherapy or post Christmas blues though! I do need to drink more water so I'm going to take the good advice on here and have a bottle of water on hand to drink throughout the day.

Good luck to you all ladies
Xxx
Highlighted

#6 today and I've developed a rash on the underside of my boob. It's not sore or itchy, will ask the team about it tomorrow. Anyone have similar?