Re: January 2018 Radiotherapy

Hello I Don’t Believe It, and good to hear from you. Sounds like a good plan to move nearer the hospital for the next few days and hopefully you won’t get any days delayed. And it sounds as if your skin is bearing up really well. Day 13 for me today. I have clearly defined pink areas where my treatment is, but no soreness. Under my arms is a bit tender from friction of skin on skin, but I put a cotton hankie across there and that really helps to minimise the rubbing. Glad to have no nipples to worry about!
I’ve got a reflexology session booked for tomorrow morning which I’m really looking forward to. Have you got any complementaries on offer? Xx

Time passes quickly and I am getting number 12 of 15 tomorrow.  Feeling absolutely fine. No obvious signs on the skin Apart from a few spots from all the moisturising. The nipple is red but has not changed in the last week. Nothing sore though. I am now carrying around a little tub of my cream in my handbag and topping up around the nipple every few hours. I have now also swapped bra's to the cotton vest top ones from M and S that Helena mentioned before. Went for two sizes larger as I was able to try them on in the shop. I wanted to make sure there was no tight

ness around the under breast part of it as that is elastic. They are so comfortable, thank you Helena.

Nuthatch I think you are a day ahead of me so I hope these last few days go quickly too. You have certainly had a harder journey than me and I think all of the ladies in a similar situation have been so brave.

I am packing a bag and heading to my daughters tomorrow as the forecast for my area is very heavy snow for Tuesday/Wednesday so I want to make sure I am near the hospital so I don't miss any appointments.

They usually clear the main roads quite quickly but the road in to where my house is not a priority and usually takes a few days before ploughed and gritted. Hubby is bringing work home with him tomorrow night so he can work from home for a few days. The clearing of the driveway is not as easy now as it used to be when we first moved in to the house. Ha Ha I will say no more than that!!!

Good luck to all continuing and all the very best for those just starting.

Community Champion

xena75

Hi was just wondering how you have you been getting on with rads xx

Community Champion

Mishy

No problem always there for you

Let me know how you get on xx

Im drinking plenty but wonder if i may be a little anemic following chemo? Im going to see how i get on and mention it to my Gp as don't see onc for follow up till march x thanks for all your advice Helena x
Community Champion

Mishy

Just checking are you still taking in enough fluids as that may contribute to the fatigue if you are not.  I actually do not think that this time of the year helps either, I am sure if the sun was shining and it was warmer we would it a bit easier.

I would not be surprised if it is a culmunation of it all and now your body is in recover mode, thats a lot to have happen xxx

Yeah im finding the tiredness quite difficult but im not sure if its cumulative from chemo too ive never experienced anything like it im absolutely exhausted feeling like ive aged 20 yesrs 😝
Community Champion

Mishy

It does pay to at times, you never actually think about the shelf life on things, I remember doing that with eye drops and I nearly put them in but something stopped me and I checked the label!!

I am sure that you will get guidance tomorrow mate, you are only 5 days post rads so they should sort something for you, or suggest that you go to your GP

xxx

Thanks Helena x im pleased i read the box i. Just going to have to moisturise tonight till i can find out x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Mishy

I was told if I had any problems post my rads finishing during that two weeks to give them a call. 

The other thing you could do is make an appointment to see your GP/nurse as they will no doubt but able to prescribe it, take the container with you so that they can see what it is just in case, but I would ring your rads team first of all

Helena xxx

Anyone know if the hospital would see me rr my skin im finished now had last clinic review lsst Tuesday but skin under breast is peeling think i need more flamazine but don't know what to do as the stuff i have got has been n open 10 days now and it says on box to discard after 7 days still wite sore too its 12 days since ful breast and armpit rads and 5 since boosters i know it will get worse yet at site of booster so im concerned anyone experienced this?

Crocrazy nothing beats memories with our mums wish everyday mine was still here. It really has helped so good luck and enjoy John Lewis xx

Thanks Ruth, if nothing else it's an opportunity to have a trip to John Lewis habadashery department :-).  I can't help myself in there, l love it!  There is something about the tubes of buttons, lengths of ribbons and balls of wool which take me back to being a child and going with my mum when she was shopping for her sewing supplies for her projects.  Funny what can trigger memories off.   Thanks for the tip, it sounds like it would be very soft on the skin.  X 

Crocrazy they advised me to use some silk as I was in pain with cotton bra. Bought half a meter from John Lewis £8 I fold it up lay on my breast and then tuck it under the fold breast and it really helps xx

Hi Mrs Meow,

I am doing a long round trip too. About an hour each way. Love your description of your travel being your new hobby!! Good luck for Thursday x

Hi Peanut,

They told me from the outset I would be breath holding.  My ct planning scan was done with the hold in place.  From Eliza's experience it looks like they can make the decision at the ct planning scan stage too.  Sorry you have had such a time getting to this point.  Good luck for starting.

I am red under my boob today and hot.  They had a look at it yesterday and said it was to be expected, keep going with the moisturising. I am slathering on the aloe and keeping my fingers crossed.  10 more to go! 

Hope everyone is doing ok, glad its Saturday and a couple of days off from zapping x 

Hello Peanut, breath holding isn’t always needed. When I was planned we did the CT without breath holding and then I went back to the waiting room while the images were sent to physics where they overlaid the beams and decided whether we'd need to use breath holding. My heart wasn’t in the field so someone came to tell me that and I went home. If it had been, we'd have done the second CT with breath holding.

I'm now getting quite red. Only 2 more to go, but I'm having Monday and Tuesday off so that I can go to a conference.

Eliza xx

Thanks, Helena. I’ll remember that about the dressings. My review lady yesterday said she’d found that people who had had double mastectomies were less likely to have skin breaking down and blistering, so fingers crossed that works for me. One advantage! X

Hello MrsMeow - how strange we are both starting on Thursday!  I have 15 sessions and am quite glad that we have the 2 days and then a break over the weekend.  I agree - it is great to be able to chat with other women going through this and share tips/advice.  Keep me posted and we can compare notes x

Thanks Crocrazy - I too got the Aloe Vera from H & B and agree it is nice to apply.....will have a look at the deoderant although I got the impression they would prefer me not to wear any!  I hate feeling sweaty and smelly and  I know from experience this will happen if I feel nervous so will investigate further.  I had a WLE and 2 x re-excisions to get clear margins and its fair to say I was a puddle by the time I got down to theatre on more than one occassion!!  Thanks for your advice and good luck with your ongoing treatment x