cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introductions

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Introductions

Hi Multitasker

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am definitely going to have to give the both of these centres a look in B/Stortford. I think I really need to give the complimentary therapies a go. Ive had one reflexology session at Maggies and it was fab, but fitting it in around other appts is a pain and I cant really be bothered to travel all that way just for one session.  I already see a psychologist regularly through Maggies. I was lucky.. and managed to get that set up really early on in my treatment. Ive had anxiety disorder for many years so it was a priority for me to sort out for the support I knew i'd need to stop me crashing & burning. I'm guessing you're local to me too? I didnt realise Broomfield does radiotherapy. 

Best Wishes

Kath Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Hi Safarikath

I have gone to both Humminbird and Helen Rollason at the Herts and Essex Hospital. They have both been really helpful. You can sign up for complementary therapy at Humminbird, they often have slots on the day. Reflexology is amazing. Tea and cake too. I found a wide range of people attending different sessions. Just started radiotherapy this monday so wont be along til March.

Helen Rollason centre has been a big help. I put my name down for counselling ‘just in case’, there is a bit of a waiting list. Actually huge help to talk to someone who isnt family or friends and understands cancer diagnosis and treatment.  Havent been to Maggies, my readiotherapy is in Chelmsford but maybe visit when its finished

Thanks Sue. Yeah its not been easy at all, but I have surprised myself and coped better than I thought I would. We all have our own battles & challenges though don't we! x

Your welcome😁.

what I forgot to say was, I was sorry to read the story of your diagnosis, it must have been hell. I know how hard it was with just a few weeks wait to know what I was dealing with, so for it to take months must have been awful. Hope you are able to face the future and what lies ahead for you.

I agree about trying to fit in visits to Maggie’s around appointments, by the time I’ve walked from car park 1 to the oncology dept and back again, I’m knackered so to continue on to Maggie’s just doesnt  appeal! Additionally, I hate early appointments as they take at least an hours travel in the rush hour rather than just half an hour. But when I have finally staggered round to the centre the people there have been fantastic.

Good luck and hugs.

Hi Sue

Thank you for your message. I just had a look and its called Hummingbird cancer support. Another one for me to investigate Smiley Happy 

Good luck with the chemo & hope all goes well. Maggies is brilliant. I can definitely recommend! Ive attended the nutrition group, the look good feel better session and I regularly see the psychologist there! Have only had one reflexology session there so far, because its been difficult to fit them in around all my other appts and havent felt like i've wanted the extra travelling for that session alone. Hence why I was looking for something more locally. 

best wishes

Kath Smiley Happy 

Hi Kath,

i live just up the road from you and I am also being treated at Addenbrooke’s. I was diagnosed in September with HER2+ DCIS and I am currently undergoing chemo. This will be followed by a lumpectomy then radiotherapy and Herceptin. Life has been a bit of a whirl since diagnosis and I haven’t managed to get to any meeting yet, although I have taken the plunge and booked into one at the Maggie centre.

I understand from a Stortford friend that there is a regular support meetings in Stortford at the Rhodes centre. She was treated at Harlow last year but is still attending  the meetings as she has made so many friends.

I am happy to give her a ring to check the details if you wish. Just let me know.

Sue

Hi Tessa

Ah thank you, I did'nt know about the Stortford centre... that would be ideal. I shall investigate! 

To be honest travelling to Cambridge is much less hassle than getting to Harlow. There are so many roadworks due to the amount of construction going on in the area, and the traffic has been horrendous for a long while. Going to Addenbrookes means that everything is under one roof and there is no travelling elsewhere for treatment. I have anxiety disorder so for me that is a huge comfort. 

Thanks again

Kath Smiley Happy

Hi Kath

That's a bit of a trek every day for rads, but at least you will know that it's for a shortish period of time, and each session is usually really quick (I was in and out within 15-20 minutes).

Hellen Rollanson Charity have a support centre in Bishops Stortford. If it's anything like the Chelmsford Centre it's excellent. I don't know if the Bishop Stortford one has support groups, but they do have complementary therapies and counselling available. Might be worth giving them a ring and see if they can advise you.

Best wishes

Tessa

Hi Tessa. Thankyou for replying. I am waiting on the radio assessment & planning session. I understand theres a lot to it. Yeah I'm near stansted so its easier for me to go to the Maggies Wallace cancer centre at Addenbrookes where I'm being treated. I was looking for something more local really, but thanks for the suggestions I really appreciate it. Kath x

Hi Jane, thanks for replying. I am relieved that I no longer qualify for chemo although if I had to have it obviously I would!  I really admire how you ladies keeping going with the chemo.. its so relentless! Thanks for the info about the radiotherapy, thats really helpful! Kath x

Hi Kath

Have you had your rads planning session and CT scan? That will determine which area gets treated and how many sessions you have. Generally anything between 15 and 25 sessions at 5 per week is pretty standard. Your rads team should give you advice, keep checking your skin and give you any creams or dressings that you need.

I am in Essex too. When I was diagnosed 2 years ago, I didn’t find any local support groups, but I think one started at Colchester Hospital last year, and I believe there is also one at the Helen Rollanson cancer centre in Chelmsford. Both are monthly meetings. Sorry, I don’t know about Herts or Cambs as I am in north Essex.

Best wishes

Tessa

Hi safarikath,

Welcome to the forum. What a rollercoaster you have been through. It must have been so stressful for you.

I have found radiotherapy by far the easiest part of the treatment. My history is that I am 51, and found a lump in my left breast last May. This was triple positive breast cancer and a large area of dcis. I had neo-adjuvant chemo, which completely resolved the invasive tumour, but I had to have a mastectomy due to the large size of dcis. I have three weekly Herceptin injections til the end of June, and I take tamoxifen.

I had fifteen radiotherapy sessions. I drank at least two litres of water a day,and used a fabulous cream, Biafine, from Amazon. It was recommended from a lady on this forum, and I had no soreness at all. I had a little bit of redness on the last few days, and it was a little itchy afterwards, but nothing too bad at all. I didn't particularly feel tired so, compared to chemo, it was a breeze!

Best of luck

Jane xx

Introductions

Hi everyone

Just wanted to introduce myself in the hope that I can become an active member in the forum and hopefully make some friends. I have been registered here for some time but have not been active so please bear with me.

I'm Kath, from Essex. I'm 40, single (no kids) and was diagnosed with Lobular Breast Cancer in April 2018. I had a right sided mastectomy at the beginning of June. The next 6 months leading upto Christmas was an absolute rollercoaster. I was due to start adj chemotherapy but following a CT & PET scan post-operatively, I was told that I had inflammed chest nodes and shadowing on multiple bones so this was withdrawn. I was provisionally (90% certain) diagnosed with secondary breast cancer & I was started on Letrozole in July with a view to starting palbocyclib. This was followed by numerous scans, investigations, a chest node biopsy and a bone biopsy(as there were a few inconsistencies) as a means of confirming the diagnosis. However amazingly the biopsy results all came back clear, and before Christmas I was told I am back to being Primary and cureable. The condition they found incidentally on the scans was actually a condition called Sarcoidosis with boney involement (its rare). Obviously I am over the moon about this, but due to this situation I have been in limbo for a long while and have not really been able to join in with the support networks because of an unconfirmed diagnosis. Its pretty much impossible to know where your head is at when you don't know what you are dealing with. 

Can anyone advise me of standard stuff to expect when undergoing radiotherapy please?  Does anyone attend any support groups in essex/herts/cambs they can recommend?

Best Wishes

Kath Smiley Happy