Re: First Few Weeks After Ringing That Bell

Sorry to hear this mcnulcc,

I know what you mean  -  we have lost the days of just getting up and getting on with things as we used to.  Our new 'normal' is still very odd, where we question every twinge or ache or upset  - like you, I have had the odd tummy upset, and I couldn't work out if it's letrozole, or delayed radiotherapy side effects. 

Men are nearly always 'practical' about OUR health, but oh boy, when it's their turn, nobody ever suffered like they do  -  my old man almost seems to turn it into a competition?  If I say this or that is troubling me, I then get treated to a resume of all his aches and pains  -  and to be honest, it's MY TURN NOW !!!

Let it out, do something nice for yourself ( in my case usually stuffing my chops with something bad for me ), and tomorrow will be another day, and hopefully a brighter one. . . .we have a lovely autumn day down here in London.  Wish you the best.

Hope you don't mind me having a bit of a weepy post but I am feeling very down today and don't know how to cope with it. Husband has gone out with grandson and I'm sitting here crying again. I had a terrible night last night blasted Letrozole giving me insomnia sweats and terrible stomach ache followed by frequent trips to the toilet. I can't believe that 5 months ago I was fine getting on with life and oblivious as to what was to come I feel like a cartoon character today you know the one that is walking around with the **bleep** thunder cloud hanging over their head. It just feels so unreal and I'm not sure how much more I can take. I want to be me again not this knackered wreck that seems to be in the mirror every morning I tried to explain to my husband that I feel something is missing but he doesn't understand I think he feels that I should pull myself together but it's so hard today and I just feel empty and exhausted. I know it will get better but today is just a bad day and I really needed to get this off my chest before I crack up completely.

Hi Rosieposie and welcome to this thread, its nice to see your 12 weeks down the line! I didnt get to ring the bell either, although the centre did have one. But my last appointment was full of elderly patients and to be quite honest i thought i would scare them half to death if i started ringing that brass bell lol...so i skipped out the place never to return!
Oh the joy.

I hope you are recovering well and keep popping on here its always nice to have a chat ...someone always pops up to say hello big hugs xxx

Thanks Sue c i will give it a go xxx

Hello rosieposie and welcome. As you can see we are all getting there slowly and sharing how we are feeling and it sure helping me. Come back in for coffee as kettle is always on.
Helena thank you for your kind words as always. Thing we need you big knickers some days so we can all hang out in them!!
Take care
Community Champion

Rosyposie

I remember when I first posted on here back in November 2016, the ladies used to ring their doorbells or rattle their door knocker for those who finished treatment.  I did it for those after me and on several occasions scared teh living daylights out of the postman who caught me doing it Smiley Happy

It is strange for a while after you have finished active treatment because you have got so used to the toing and froing of appointments and you do feel a bit lost from time to time but it does get better

Helena xxx

Hello Ladies

I hope you don’t mind me popping in on this thread. I finished my rads nearly 12 weeks ago now. Didn’t get to ring a bell as I’ve had all my treatment in France where I live...however came home and rang the doorbell several times instead!!!😉 

Lucaboo you’ve said some lovely things and I think everyone takes comfort from what you've posted. I still feel a little ‘lost’ at times but try not to ‘indulge’ myself too much!! It’s just so lovely to be able to speak with people who have been there too as nobody else quite understands in the same way.

Gill, I too listened to the inspirational ladies on radio 2 yesterday and have listened to some of their podcasts in my early days of diagnosis but now need to catch up with a few more.

Lilacmoon, I’m sending you some hugs all the way from France - hope all is well now.

Take care all you lovelies and thank you for listening to me.

love Rosie xx

Community Champion

Hi
It's Medihoney barrier cream. A bit pricey, but we'll worth it.
Sue xx

Hi Jclarke and welcome. I was sore under the boob just after I had finished rads it was on the creaseline and the skin had broke down. I rang my rads team and they advices to leave off the cream and place a cotton hankie between the bra and boob to allow air to get their. It soon dried up and was fine. Hope this helps

Hi Gill, yes I have listened to that podcast and Neareat and dearest... it was really interesting and comforting to listen to other people’s thoughts and know that how you feel is also how others feel when dealing with cancer. I am really struggling with the reality do what has happened to me in the last few months and am having some sessions with a therapist but ultimately YOU are the only one who can deal with your feelings and at times that is scary and lonely and hard xxx sending hugs to all of you out there post treatment xxx the journey is not over xxx take care xxx

Hi! Can anyone help with some advice on how to treat very sore patches underneath the breast post radiotherapy? It wasn’t happening during the treatment but has got worse in the week since finishing. It hurts!!!! Xxx thanks xxx

Hugs to you lilacmoon. Lovely words there lucaboo. Did any of you hear on radio 2 yesterday. You me and the big C and putting can into cancer. I listened to some of the podcasts and will listen to the rest today. 3 ladies who have had cancer in different ways. There are several podcasts on there but one is called “about the nearest and dearest”. Good listening. It is an hour long but lots ring true to me personally. It is the 3 girls and family and how those close really didn’t understand what the girls were going through until this podcast was recorded. There is also visual recordings of the girls talking of their journey. Just type in you me and the big c podcasts and take a look. You do have to sign up to listen to the full podcasts but it’s quick and easy. We will get there my lovelies but it sure is going to take time. I keep looking back at hour far I have come to today and you know what I have done pretty good even though my hubby says my feeling are all in my mind ! Huh yeah right! I think it all about keeping busy as lucaboo says do something each day that takes your mind off things. I have bought a bike and go round the village 2/3 times a day and it is helping. Have a great day ladies and speak later as off on me 🚲

Morning lilacmoon..dont be sorry ever..men/women/kids they can all be insensitive to someone with cancer diagnosis, they dint mean to hurt you. But like weve said before people in general think youve had the op, you had chemo/rads etc now suddenly you should be all better. Well im afraid lifes not like that. Cancer diagnosis is a huge huge mental curve, and your lived ones need to support you. If you cry...let it out..if you want t shout..shout..anything that makes YOU feel better. And if boyfriend understands he will just walk into another room and let yoy do it then come back and calm you. Your treading on a lune at the moment..one false move mentally and u wobble over it for a while..but u will get back on track. So if yr bf is being insensitive again just get out the room...dont retaliate that makes u worse stress wise..if u can go for little walk and just get away from the situation. You be suprized how different things look when you take a step away. So dry those tears my lovely....you will get there..as the old saying goes which is very true " when life says give up...HOPE whispers ....try it one more time...Big love and hugs xxxx

Thank you so much Lucaboo xxx

Feeling very very low tonight. My B/F has really peed me off being so stupidly blokeish and thoughtless and I'm beside myself with stress and upset. Really not what I need right now 😕😕😕

Hopefully things will calm down by the weekend and he'll realise what an a☆☆e hole he's been.

Sorry xxxx

Lilacmoon..its almost unreal its called dissassociasion. What happens is your brain is on auto pilot because of high levels of stress, so when you look back on it all irs happen to someone else not you in ur mind. That is how ue mind keeps u safe and sane. But little bit will come filtering thro as months go on and ur mind will process them and put them to bed in another room in ur head. You will get there lovely but bit by bit. Distration is the key ..distract urself few hours each before u know it uve not even thought about it and thats how u recover. Hope all u lovies are well and feeling a much better .. we stick together...and were strong when one has fallen. So we do what we can but pick them up. But be sure someone will ur never alone on..so goodnight my beauties sleep well xxxxx

I hadn't thought about looking and feeling like a bag lady- I turned into one without noticing. I am happy to have my 2 battered and scarred breasts but since start of radiotherapy they have been encased in M & S brilliant supportive crop tops instead of usual underwired nice silhouette! I am almost scared to return to usual bras but I do look s sight!!
Amazing how these things don't matter when your life is challenged
Xx

I too feel like this all happened so long ago and to someone else! Seems so unreal now and feel like I'm at a bit of a loose end.
Silly mare.
🌻🌼🌻

Hi sue c.... can you tell me if the medihoney was cream or medihoney dressings, ive looked but there seems to be a few different ones, i certainly could do with something. Big hugs xxx

Hi lucaboo and welcome to time after ring that bell that you didn’t ring. Big ring for you from me. Glad sister is ok. Tense time. Come back let us know how your getting on. Bring cake and I will make the drinks!! 🤗

Hi sue. Pop in anytime the kettle is always on 😃. Chris’s turn 😝