60559members
318880posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Few Weeks After Ringing That Bell

Re: First Few Weeks After Ringing That Bell

Hi ladies - I finished rads on 7th August  -  had the bonus package, have 15 and get 5 boosters free!!

I feel very lucky to have had minimal problems  -  definitely got a 'vanilla boob' and a 'strawberry boob' now, but only real issues have been dry skin areas that look like tide marks where I haven't washed!!  My nip was quite dry, but with the continued moisturising, it seemed to sort itself out  . . . . I find if I don't put my glasses on, I can hardly see much difference, lol !!  My shoulder/back seem to be fine  -  but as I am pretty much on the exactly 2 weeks since finishing, I am hoping there isn't a hiccup waiting to get me.  Oh yes, the 'stab in the boob' feeling from time to time  -  can't exactly rub it better in public though.  Passes quickly.

I did find it all in all an okay experience, as I was under UCLH, and everywhere is very bright and modern and welcoming, the staff excellent, and the R/T rooms even had different musics and low lighting and sometimes the light-changing coloured lights kicked in.  Depends who was working on the day.

I hope everyone continues onwards and upwards to better brighter days now - and for all new ladies coming along, I wish you a calm and easy time of it.  And thanks again Gill for your advice at the time.

Community Champion

Hi Chris. 2:00 is my tired patch also. Go for a walk as soon as feel it coming on. Was in the office on Tuesday and just got up said I’m off for a walk to wake up. Walked down the road and back and was fine. Trouble is as daft as it sounds it’s only my eyes that are tired not my body lol. Same as you with daughter saying we will be back to normal soon but think this thing has took something from me that isn’t coming back but not sure what it is. Will give a big shout when it comes back. I do sometimes think maybe those close to us don’t fully understand and don’t expect them to really as without going through this nobody would know what it does to us. But we are warriors and strong and we have got here. Big cheers to us all. Looking forward to hopefully reading how others are doing as does help and just reading your comments has helped me already in realising I am not an emotional wreck at all it’s all part of it. Have a good evening.

Gill3105. Brilliant idea to put down how we are all doing and hopefully give some reassurance to those who follow.
Almost a week since I finished rads. Skin not so bad two little blisters that bleed every time I shower but the rest are still intact and not so painful. I kept a close eye on my back as suggested by you, and, yes sure enough that's going very pink just under my shoulder blade so making sure I cream that as well.
I have been drinking loads of water but I can't believe how tired I am. It hits me about 1.30 2.00pm. I feel like I'm about to fall over I'm so tired. By about 6.00 pm I'm feeling much better.
Snap on the stabbing pains can be quite painful on occasions but it does pass quite quickly. I suffer with migraine occasionally but i have had a few bad ones in the past week not sure if this is due to the tiredness or the Letrozole.
Totally agree on the emotions front silly things start me off and before I know it I'm back to a sobbing wreck then I feel guilty because I'm here I'm getting treatment I'm still alive. My daughter said I will soon be feeling myself again but I told her I don't think I will ever be myself as I was before this. Do others feel this way? I feel like I'm being dramatic but can't help it.
On a positive note I am making sure that I go out walking and have discovered some lovely walks along the banks of the River Mersey some days its just a short walk but I'm finding I am really enjoying being outside and it's definitely having a calming effect on me mentally so no matter how tired I'm feeling I am making the effort to get out.
Hope some of this might give reassurance to others that some of their symptoms and emotions are normal. Like Gill would love to hear how others are doing. Lots of love Chris x
Community Champion

First Few Weeks After Ringing That Bell

Hi ladies. Thought I would start a thread for us who have recently finished active treatment and rang that radiotherapy bell. We are all told that the treatment will continue to work for 10-14 days after final treatment. I am sure like myself we have all had different things happening to us so thought maybe we could share and help each other and hopefully help those nearing the finish line.
Ok I will start with a few of my changes. Stabbing pain like hot iron only for seconds but buy it makes you jump, grab hold of boob syndrome kicks in. Itching, maybe a good sign of everything healing as it should. Emotions, well these are like the anxiety gremlins we all had back in the early days that just appeared from nowhere and into melt down we would go. Can be fine for days then just cry for no reason at all. Is this normal? I am sure it is we have been through a lot in a short space of time and it is still very early days. I am now 7 weeks post rads and physically I am great mentally almost great but not quite there just yet. Would be lovely to hear how others are getting on. I know there is a moving forward thread but it’s not so busy as this thread. Look forward to hearing from us amazing ladies. X