Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Few Weeks After Ringing That Bell

153 REPLIES 153
Community Champion

Re: First Few Weeks After Ringing That Bell

Hi Kate 

glad our posts have helped.  I set this up as all 8 of us were all at similar points in our treatment and just weeks apart from each other.  Haven’t been back on here for a while as we started a little group on fb and still talk to each other now and still 12 month on have our moments but we are always there for each other.  We are all just having our first mammograms and so far so good on all so happy days.  Hang in there it does get better but know exactly how you feel. It hit me after rads big time hence the thread. It was emotions with me but talking, moaning and laughing with the fantastic friends I made on here.   Hope all goes well with you. 

Hi

4 weeks from ringing bell and cannot believe the fatigue and low mood that has hit me don't know if it's the rads or letrozole or even perhaps recurrence of past depression from which I have been fine for years read your posts has really helped as now don't feel so alone in this as others have the same feelings 

Thank you all

Kate

Community Manager

Hi Chick1

Thank you for your post.  I have now removed the research request.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

Community Champion

Hello Rachel, 

Prior to joining in order to find research subjects, did you read the guidelines? It may have been apt to submit your request to a moderator first rather than tagging it on to members' existing post.

Regards,

Chick.

Hello all

Ive not posted here recently, but recovery from rads has been gradual and progressing OK, my only gripe really is shoulder and arm pain, which seems to have hit after the daily ‘up arm’ positioning during treatment, and which isn’t really going away, and wakes me in the night sometimes...

I had a Radiology Consultant appointment today, the discharge review...she gave me some useful information regarding the state of boob! Rads finished on 24th August but I’m still a fetching pinky/sludgy brown,  (I was actually very pink from the first early days after op, and never really faded, got darker during rads though ! ) She said it was because I was fair skinned, I’m quite freckly...also she told me I had a fair bit of subcutaneous swelling in the operated breast,..

I didn’t know that at all, I’d had a Therapeutic Mammoplasty on 29th May and thought that was going to be the shape forever ! But no, currently it is actually swollen, and that accounts for it’s feeling heavy, too..and here was me thinking that was just down to rads...😳

So in a twelve month or so, it should have gone down and tissues will soften, and I will likely then need a chicken fillet...!

So, subcutaneous swelling as opposed to a seroma... it is a sort of oedema, apparently. (Great, it can be a partner for my Lymph - oedema !! 😄)

And as for the shoulder and arm pain, yes, it’s probably down to the rads positioning, but she also admitted that Letrozole wouldn’t be helping, but that exercise would definitely help. So I shall grit my teeth and lift that arm...also continue with the fluid intake as it’s really important, everyone...

Hope everyone is progressing nicely, and with minimal SEs...that bell sound seems rather distant now .. and welcome to all those who’ve yet to hear it ..

xx 

Community Champion

Well ladies it’s been 9 days since our last post 🤔. So here’s me 17 weeks post rads. Few blips en-route but getting there in this never ending flippin journey. Docs app and check up all ok and give it 12 months!! What??? Really?? How’s all you getting on my simply breast friends 😁. Will have jempd in here in 15 days times and what a journey she has had but that light is now there. Just thought it would be nice to catch up so we can help others who may read our thread from the beginning and to see hopefully how far we have come. And you know what we have all come a long long way since our first post in here. Energy levels are increasing, moods getting better, gremlins not so busy thank goodness, hot flushes same, sleep same lack of. Hope your all doing good and speak soon . Jempd hope your first rads when all ok and not as bad as anticipated. X
Community Champion

Aww lucaboo. Bless you. Missed you. Give unit a call if you are concerned. It does get easier promise you xx take care my lovely and speak soon.

Hi Gill3105...how are you and all you lovely ladies. Ive been a bit quiet this week, i seem to have hit a mental brick wall and not up to my usual humourous banter lol. So ive just had chocolate albiet only once and lay like a lump of concrete on sofa. Boob been giving me a few issues too. But hopefully i will drag myself back into reality this week, i hope so.

Stay well all you beautiful ones xxxxx

Community Champion

Grrrrr don’t you just love these restless nights. Spent 70:00 yesterday having hair coloured cut and blow dried for it to look like I have been pulled through a hedge backwards this morning from the one hot flush I have during the night that’s last for about 2 hours as wakes me and keeps me awake! Woke up last night with a song in my head and didn’t realise I knew the words to one of Rita ora,s songs. Bizarre what these tab do to you. Even hayley said “ having a bad hair day mum”. But on a brighter note I am getting there and feeling better all round. Still having the odd blip but def getting there. Hope you ladies are doing good lucaboo how’s it going with you and you to Jane. Your at that everything has peaked point if I remember. How you doing ok and don’t forget where we are. Have a good Saturday all and speak soon.
Community Champion

Lol mncnnu know what you mean with wasp nest head in a morning. Mine is terrible and my specs steam up also. Thankfully I dont have to many but boy when I do there good can feel the heat coming out top of my head. 1:00 in the morning is time for mine gr at then wide awake for next 2 hours. Oh wonderful but we are all getting there. X

Hello lovely ladies

All good here today! Been busy working on hubbys paperwork!!! Keeps me out of mischief and he pays me a little pocket money for doing it.😉

I’m actually 14 weeks now exactly from last rads. Flushes not too bad and not too many either. Achy around my underarm scar again but not that bad, more irritated than pain. No other aches and pains so that’s good. We have  some lovely sunny weather today and it’s almost 30 degrees again. Too hot for gardening or housework...especially ironing. So I’m chilling out with my book.Anyone else reading anything good?

Have a good afternoon everyone. Take care.

Rosie xxx

Gill3105. Hot flushes are that bad sometimes my glasses steam up. Ha ha. Get up every morning with a head like a wasps nest. Never mind everything else is doing okay. Hope everyone is well have a good day x
Community Champion

Good morning ladies. Early morning for me canny sleep been awake for hours. How are we all doing? Think I am getting there 13 weeks today since last rads and thinking things are getting better. Emotions are more controllable and less frequent. Pain just about gone other than first thing in the morning but thing I may be squashing a tad as I lie on my left side. Hot flushes doable but always send my hair frizzy. It’s lije all the heat trying to get out the top of my head. Thankfully dont have to many. Still drinking lots still using the cream and still excersising. I hope we are all feeling a little better as each day/week goes by. What a journey hey!! Have a lovely day all and I am sure I will be speaking later 🤗🤔💓

Great that you are beginning to feel better, Gill, and yes, refurbished boobs are a benefit for sure ! I had a therapeutic mammoplasty to one side, surgeon offered to ‘even up’ at a later date, but as it happens the ‘good’ side was always smaller so it doesn’t really look lopsided, obviously more ‘hang dog’ tho !! 😁 You will look and feel great at the wedding for sure, your confidence will be great on the day, a nice outfit will give you a real boost ! I think I’ve managed to get on FB, and have PMd you with the name ? Xx hope this reaches the forum as I’m posting this from a boat... took a chance on some niceish 🙏 weather for a little jaunt ..xx
Community Champion

Hi thistledown yes it’s awful thoughts and as others have said here we have all come through the worst but it does change the perspective on this. Like me in a dress!!! Never happened because of the size of my boobs now just love them and I am one lucky lucky lady all still in tact albeit it a bit wonky and now where a dress with pride so some confidence has come from this Dam thing as we call it. Dare I say it ?? I do feel I have turn a corner over the last few days. Nowhere near as much discomfort, less stabbing pains, still blue nipple though. This is after 12 nearly 13 weeks since last rads. Bit where has that time gone hey. Anyway thistledown you in Facebook yet??? We are waiting for you.

Totally understand your emotions at your daughters wedding dress try on, Gill, I’ve realised that it’s these important times for us that make us look inward at this damn thing, like me yesterday, ordering a (Paw Patrol!!) choccy birthday cake for my grandsons birthday next week (he is three as well) and in the shop I was thinking how many more times will I do this for him.. will I see him as a young man? 😕 - so I know what you mean very well xx but as the support team on here have said, it’ll be great and you will so enjoy the day, new outfit and hat to look forward to choosing !!
Paw Patrol and unicorns, heh, kids these days ... xxx

Bless you Gill.

I think you are allowed to be emotional over your daughters wedding anyway, regardless of bc. I would have been exactly the same, probably with the identical thoughts you had as well. You just go with it! Yes you must keep us all up to date with your outfit etc. How lovely to have something for next year when you’re stronger and looking like a princess as Lucaboo said.

Lilac, his heart was in the right place! But I know it’s the little things that hit us...!

Have  a good Sunday lovely ladies. Hugs to you all.

Love Rosie xx

Community Champion

Aww thank you ladies for your lovely kind words. I am ok this morning thankfully. Yes exciting times. Not got outfit yet lilac probably start looking just after Xmas. I have seen a hat I have fell in love with but ..... never buy the hat before the outfit did that once before and never did find the outfit to go with the hat!! Will keep you all informed. Right must dash as got to go help eldest daughter today for granddaughter 3 rd party. I will be a 🦄 he he. Have a lovely day and speak later. Hope you all have a good one.

Awwwww mahoosive hugs Gill x Its emotional already, seeing your youngest child ready to start a new life so I can see why all the other stuff comes to the surface as well.
But what a wonderful occasion to look forward to. Do you have your hat yet?!!

I felt so bad for my dearest boyfriend tonight. He loves cooking for me and made me a lovely dinner but the dessert he got me was a soya one. It looked so lovely but cos I'm a 9 on the hormone score Im too scared to touch soya now. He was really understanding but I felt sad. All over a soya dessert. Little things like that just get to me!!!

Aww Gill3105 bless you. I cry when i see a stranger in a wedding dress, so you seeing your daughter im not suprized..what a beautiful moment for you though. Your focus now is getting stronger for the wedding day. Youve overcome the most traumatic..surreal..baron clinical cold..helpless situation in your life..but my beautiful youve come out the otherside. So dust that crown off straighten it up and look forward to seeing ur lovely daughter getting married. We will all be here for any meltdowns inbetween ..all on same road my lovely but we will all get there..big hugs and love xxx
Community Champion

Gill

Oh my darling you are entitled to have emotional times, and goodness seeing your daughter in her wedding dress is very justified at any time.  It is not unusual to have times like this, but I promise it does get better over time and the melt down times get less.  You are still getting over your treatment so it is bound to have an impact on you.

I was talking to a colleague at work the other day about my op and promptly burst into tears, where they came from or why I dont know, but I felt a lot better afterwards.

That is the beauty of this forum we can let go and the ladies on here know exactly what we are going through because they have been there and can give us loads of support.

Sending you loads of Helena huggles xxx

aww Gill, you are allowed to cry when you see a precious daughter in her wedding dress !!  And of course you're going to be there, we're all going to want to see the pics.  Daughters always look beautiful in their wedding togs  -  it makes them glow, and it makes us super-happy for them.

Meltdowns are in the ticklist for all of us, for the most obvious or the most bizarre reason  -  like I nearly always cry if any therapist pays attention to what I am saying, or if virtual strangers show interest in what i am saying? ( My husband has the out of the house face, and the indoor face  -  the indoor face doesn't talk, watches TV incessantly, and is ALWAYS more ill/in pain than I ever could be haha  ).

So now it's looking forward time for you Mrs  -  flowers and pretty things and happy talk  -  sounds like South Pacific !!  My younger daughter got married in Hawaii about 18 months ago  -  they wanted to be super-private   -   but the photos were beautiful, and enough for me  -  elder daughter married at the local registry office with my 2 granddaughters and grandson bridesmaids and pageboy.  As we always say - as long as they are happy.

Happy daze for you  -  onwards and upwards  -  and no R/T side effects by then !!! yay !!

Community Champion

Ohhhhhh dear melt down alert!!!! Thought I was doing well. Emotional moment when youngest daughter had her first wedding dress fitting today and they didn’t let me in the changing room till she was ready so was quite happy looking around for ideas on little bridesmaid dresses as I am making these. Well went in and was fine and she looked stunning. Sat down why she tried on head gear etc etc and just started crying 😢. And the reason was those bloody emotional gremlins appeared from nowhere as they do and all I was thinking is this might be the only time I see her in her dress. Awful awful feeling. Haven’t told her this and never would so just need a vent and get it off my chest. So here I am. Like you say lucaboo where has the carefree person gone and me being one who doesn’t normally do tears specially not in public. So a few steps back for me again but I am ok and I will see my daughter get married next year and I will best this. Speak to you all soon in here or next doors lounge 😳

Hi Gill glad ur picking up now and taking steady pace into work. Ive worked on and off through mine but its been tough i can say. Anyway for whatwver reason i dont know if it rads or tamoxifen but its knocked me off my feet. Mcnullcc Chris i feel your pain and anxiousness if you stop your letrozole like my tamoxifen its a roll of the dice for sure. Ive tried so hard this week but omg. My clients come to me for help and i swear they must go out wanting to hang themselves. Its really a tough one. So im praying its the rads ans not tamoxifen couldnt stand 5yrs of this. Does anyone feel like they have taken on another personality ?? Or is just me? I keep wondering where this carefree person went.
Im glad ur feeling well back at work everyone needs a focus otherwise u would go crazy. So stay well lovelies see u on the flip..lol aka new site. Xxx
Community Champion

Hi lucaboo. Hope your feeling better today and the wobble has done one and gone away. I have had date I say it 3 good days. Went to the office on Thursday which was strange as loads of new people joined in the las 6 month. I realised when I got ho e it was good for me and what I needed albeit I have been shying away from going into the office as been working full time from home and it’s great but only me in the office and I am a peoples person. Trying 2 days next week and 3 from home so will see how we get on. Of for first fitting of daughters wedding dress today which is exciting. Her fear bless her is what if she don’t like it as it was ordered 6 month ago. She will. Anyway I am on Tuesday 12 weeks from rads. Still get discomfort in the boob are others? Then you start to prod and poke which isn’t good. Have to say skin is looking great now. Scar is like my stomach lol just like a stretch mark. Have a great weekend all and speak soon. Either here or next door in STBF!!!

Wow thankyou Gill3105 and all you other lovely ladies for the hard work, and i love the name cant wait. Sorry been off radar in everyway as they say. Hopefully bit better tmrw. 

Hope all you ladies are well, im looking forward to fb group xxxx

Hello Ladies

It’s amazing that when I miss a day on the forum how much has gone on!!!! Had a busy couple of days but I’ve at least conquered the ironing. Just the spiders, cobwebs and moths to go - cats are helping but not quickly enough.

Thank you Gill for having me and thank you for setting this up for us all. Much appreciate the work you’re doing. Love the name - well done, Paulus, nice one.😉 I will PM you my FB user name over the weekend.

Welcome jclarke and how brave of you to text 5Live and be interviewed. Must have been quite emotional too.

I listened to the first set of podcasts and will go onto the new ones but I’m afraid, at the moment, I’ll end up sobbing my way through them and not actually listening to a thing.

Hope everyone is ok today and feeling positive. The sun is shining here and it’s quite warm too. My garden is calling me.

Love and hugs to everyone.

Rosie xxx

Community Champion

Almost there thistledown. Get your daughter to get you set up. Can’t have you missing from the group we need you 🤗

😄Tina Turner fan here too...love the name..

It’s set me off for the rest of the day..! 👍

Thank you for all the work you are putting in, Gill.

xx

Community Champion

Will do lilac thank you. Just getting it right then will click the button.

Give me a shout if you need anything Gill x
Community Champion

Love it Paulus. Simply the breast sisters it is. Will get on it today and get it up and running g.

Ohh Paulus.. I like Simply the Breast Sisters. Love a bit of Tina Turner

or ' Simply the Breast Sisters ' mcnulcc !! ' The Pink Parakeets !!'  '  Holding Us Together !! '

Gill I'm not very imaginative when it comes to things like this but what about Breast Sisters? Bell ringing friends? That's about as good as it gets from me im afraid xx
Community Champion

Hi lucaboo. If you send me your fb name via private message on here I will then invite you once it’s all good to go. Set it up tonight then saw there is already a breast Friends so deleted and ready to start again. Need name suggestions again please.

Paulus I wasn't offered chemo and I had clear margins but like you I had node involvement and am ER8. Guess I'm just going to have to wait until I see the oncologist and hope we have a better meeting than our last encounter. Have a good night everyone xx

Hello mcnulcc

No I didn't fess up. . . . after I'd mentioned the weight query, and she said what she thought, and that made some sense, I thought that maybe I better go back on them !!  She was saying that the Letrozole really was the best for my diagnosis etc . . .and I just couldn't own up !!  That was probably really childish, but I couldn't face a lecture, and I thought she'll have to tell the oncologist ( my unfavourite professional ), and then I'll get another lecture . . . .so sorry, I bottled out of owning up to 4 days Letrozole-free.

I'm sorry I can't guide you on this one . . . . xx

(A big part of me really wants to stop taking them - but as you say, the 'what if's' are psychological blackmail aren't they  -  and like I said in past, I didn't have good margins, I refused chemo, it was present in one lymph and I'm ER8 ?  )

Highlighted

Lucaboo Sue you need to message Gill via Facebook messenger. If you don't have this yet text me and I can guide you through it xx

Paulus did you mention at your review that you had stopped taking the Letrozole and did they say anything. Was an alternative suggested at all?. Just curious as I am seriously thinking of stopping taking them until I have my review on 5th October but then the sensible part of my brain is saying don't do it but I feel so depressed and ill taking these little buggers. I know I can't keep taking them for 5 years but petrified that I'm playing Russian roulette My head is in overdrive today. Anyone else feeling like this xx

Hi Gill3105 how do i pm  my fb page name to you? To join new group xxx

Community Champion

Hi Paulus and welcome jclarke. Hope all peaks very soon and then starts to calm down. As you can see from our threads we have everything. Every emotion you can think of and we have all been there and had many wobbles. This thread has been amazing and helped me loads. Paulus weight gain and not doing so much and hormones oh how wonderful hey. I joined weight watchers during my rads basically to get on a good eating plan and to lose weight prior to putting it on once the hormones kicked it. I have lost half a stone and feel great so I know if I do put weight on I have half a stone to play with as already lost it. I don’t lose every week but that’s fine with me so maybe the hormones are saying you will put weight on but my diet and excersise is saying no I won’t. Should have the breast friends up and running by Monday/Tuesday of next week. All I need for those who wish to join us is you fb user name. Don’t worry about the names etc as it is going to be a closed account and anybody joining will have to be approved. It will not be an open door I promise. So if you can send me your fb name along with your name on here so I know who is who lol. Once I have done it I will invite those names I have. Anybody will be able to find the page but nobody will be able to join or read anything within it till accepted by me or the other admins. Also we won’t be able to see your private fb either just the group but will put notes on once it up so you are all assured it is safe and private. Need to do it once and get it right first time. Speak laters my lovelies and hope all had a good day.

Been for my post-radiotherapy check  -  5 weeks since last zapps  -  and the therapeutic radiologist, to give her her full title, is really lovely and easy to talk to and with.  I think it's mainly the tiredness that I'm left with, and she said that we have to be kind to ourselves, give ourselves a break, because these bodies have had good and bad cells zapped, and the good ones are busy repairing themselves . . . . and she looked surprised when I said that I felt that the Letrozole might be nudging my weight up.  And she explained why.  That being more tired, I possibly am not moving and doing things at my usual pace, even though it might feel like I am?  I have to agree, she may well have a point, as I know Letrozole hasn't got weight gain as a usual s/e. ( That doesn't mean that it doesn't make me TOUCHY and MOODY !!)  So I may give the L's the benefit of the doubt, in view of my ER8, and after 4 days off, go back to taking the drugs.  We shall see.   

Welcome jclark, glad you found your way here. . . .that was me who replied to your post when you wrote in the 'ask the nurses' section  -  that MUST have been a Letrozole moment, my excuse was that I was scrolling through 'latest posts' and didn't pay any attention to the 'heading box. And it was the weekend, I didn't want you thinking thre was no one around. . . .only Nurse Paulus !!!

FB group sounds good - although I'm on there as myself ( I am actually not called Paulus can you believe ) - so I think I'll have to think up yet another alias . . . . . xx

Hello Breast Friends! That’s a great name for a FB page!
Am two weeks post radiotherapy and the side effects are really showing themselves... nasty blisters, sore arm, aching joints and complete exhaustion and overwhelming emotions. All normal I believe!
So I did something random today.. I am a big listener of 5 Live Radio and was really sad to hear the news of the death of their presenter Rachel from breast cancer so I text the programme and they called me back to interview me and just before the 11 O clock news tonight I talked about the podcasts I had listened to and how they had helped me. It was very nerve wracking!
I am also finding this forum really inspiring and helpful. You are all so amazing so thank you for your support xx I have been receiving counselling recently and have found this really useful too.
Keep strong everyone xx just go with how you feel xx take care xxx

Hi Thistledown...sooo funny reading your post, it is absolutely everyone of us at sometime lol..cheered me up!. Hope all you ladies are feeling ok tonite.
Looking forward to the new facebook page Gill3015 exciting. Its a lovely group of people we have on this thread, all been on same road, same time, come out the otherside and are now lovely friends helping each other through, i for one am truely thankful. Nite lovelies xxxx
Community Champion

That made me smile thistledown. All the things we have put on here between us is Put in a list is funny. Will let you know when we are all set up and ready to go. Doing a bit of homework on it first as want it right. Rosieposie you are more than welcome and will let you know when it’s ready to go. What do you all think of breast friends for the title? Lilacmoon and Chris thank you for offering to help as administrators again need to read up on it but will soon get to grips with it I am sure. I have a pic of the rads bells so will use that as profile pic for now. Will start the thread with a pic of my floordrobe 😂😂😂. Hope you all sleep well tonight and not to many hot flushes!! I see most of you guys are on letrozole. I’m on anastrozole. There all zoles.

Ooh, what a load of posts since I tried to post this morning and lost the lot ! Hate it when that happens, as I write screeds...

I’m not on FB -  what a sad person 🙃, but I’m sure my daughter will help put me on, would love to join the group if allowed ! Sad persons at the back....

Janebelinda, so sorry about your meltdown, don’t let it get you, I’m sure you will fight it off....it’s so familiar to hear though,...I’m going through this thread and going, meltdowns, check, husband in spare room, check, angry and tearful mood swings, check, Letrozole yuk, check, ironing floordrobes 😄, check , (that was funny tho and very true!), house is a spider’s dream still, (cats are very bored now with catching them) and the garden has a long lost tribe of pygmies in there somewhere ... 

I went bonkers at our local shops earlier, came out with a load of totally unnecessary stuff, (distinctly unhealthy stuff too) and promptly joined the RSPB,  as they were canvassing outside....going to have to get some rational thinking back soon 😳,...On the slightly more rational side, I’ve enquired about the Moving Forward Course that starts in October, unfortunately not near me at all..I can’t drive but hey, I can get the train...now how to cancel membership of the RSPB ? 

Hope this ‘new normal’ becomes more normal soon...

Best wishes to all, hope you are all ok this evening...

xxxx

A private Facebook group sounds great...just what everyone needs I think, something to look forward to. Count me in, that’s if an expat is allowed to join.🇫🇷

Having said that, I have been fairly quiet on FB through all of this. I’m  not a Dave or anything 😂 but haven’t used my real name either.

As the other ladies have said, JaneBelinda, you are feeling relief that you made it through. Look after yourself and take it easy.

Sending hugs. 

Rosie xx

JaneBelinda xx sorry to miss your earlier post and mahoosive hugs for finishing rads.
Its fine to have had a meltdown. Its all the emotion of the whole sorry saga coming out.
But nows the time to take care of yourself over the next 3 weeks or so as this will be when your SE's kick in.
But we are all in it togther and you know that everything you need to know is here xxx