cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December 2018 Radiotherapy

86 REPLIES 86

Re: December 2018 Radiotherapy

Traciecas,
It turned out to be another abscess, so didnt matter about creams. I’m still on antibiotics and using Aveeno.

Katiepoo try diprobase on the cellulitis area. This was prescribed to my hubby when he had cellulitis and also worked wonders on his legs when they got red and sore from the effects of chemo. I'm using it after radiotherapy too.

Hi all,

Re moisturising your back- I had a review meeting the other day with radio therapist to see how I was getting on and she said that it was worth moisturising your back as the radio waves will go through and can cause red areas on the back!

jo x

Community Champion

katiepoo

Wow it sounds pretty awful what you have been through today but thank goodness that is what it was and with the new course of antibiotics with all that gunk removed hopefully it will heal quickly.

Helena xxx

The naughty boob is playing up again.
After seeing oncologist on 28th Dec she gave me antibiotics for the raised red area on my boob post rads.
A squishy boggy lump had also developed. Onto NYE and there was a black area on the red area with a “white head” on it.
Went to Marsden yesterday to see rads nurse who pricked it slightly and advised ringing BCN.
Been to original hospital this morning that did WLE and subsequent evacuation and washout after infected haematoma opened up my scar in October.

A lovely nurse squeezed lump and so much rubbish came out🤮🤮
Lump has disappeared and more antibiotics.
The rads have disturbed the residual haematoma i had🙄

I don't know what else to advise.Have you asked the staff for any advice? At least it will be over fairly soon. Thank goodness. I feel like I have been on a marathon with all this treatment, and the finish line is in sight! Jane xxx

I did ask if I should moisturize my back but its just my right boob too so no need to. x

I have seen moisturising your back recommended but presumably depends on whether your radiation is coming from directly overhead? Mine comes slantways across my body from the above  left (right boob being treated) and then it moves around to come from the lower right IYSWIM. If you were being treated in those directions then the back wouldn't be affected.

Hi Linda,
I haven't had back pain either. However, I did read that sometimes the radiation can get to the back from being ' reflected; back from the bed. Wonder whether moisturising your back would help? Can't do any harm.
Good luck
Jane xx

Thank you Susan. I’ve already had an abscess which opened up the original WLE scar, so I’m really worried that yet another cellulitic/abscess has formed again.
I finished one lot of antibiotics on 21st Dec and now on different course. Oncologist is hopeful it’s localised and I’m seeing her again on 7th Jan.

Hi Katiepoo

I was on 2 lots of antibiotics after my surgery for hot red swollen boob. Was told cellulitus, Seroma or lymphedema seems each docs views were different. But sorted eventually.

Still have hard lumps around scar and inside lower boob can get a little swollen and bra leaves indents in it, slight orange peel effect too but oncologists say it's fine.

Hope the antibiotics work quickly for you and you soon feel better.
It does take a little time but eventually it settles down.
Keep using cream and drinking plenty helps with tiredness.

Take care Susan x

Community Champion

katiepoo

Oh flipping heck mate hopefully these will work and you will very soon be on the mend.

Sending you lots of very gentle hugs

Helena xxx

It was my last treatment yesterday, 15/15 so I rang the bell at our local treatment centre :-)

I was far more emotional than I thought I'd be - I thought I'd be laughing and smiing, I was so looking forward to it, but I cried, instead. I just wasn't prepared for that emotion.

The last few days has been harder than previous days, even though I had a lovely Christmas, but travelling by car for long periods meant the seat belt has affected the very top edge of my treatment area, so it is very itchy - I am using Epaderm ointment on that area now.

Good luck to everyone, andI'm  wishing for you to have a smooth end to their treatment with few problems,and a smooth transition to the "Moving Forward" courses. xVelindre bell.jpg 

Helena, Susie,
I put my Aveeno in the fridge last night. Unfortunately after seeing oncologist this morning, I’m on yet more antibiotics for the raised red area on my naughty boob as it’s now looking quite “boggy” around it with another lumpy bit 🙄
Community Champion

Katiepoo

When my rads team advised me to stop using aloe vera and just use my E45, they said to keep the E45 in the fridge and it would do the same job as they aloe vera.

Helena xx

Hi Katiepoo

I used and still use Diprobase cream keep in fridge.
Hope you had a nice Xmas and all the best for the New Year.
Susan x

Has anyone got any suggestions for an alternative to Aloe Vera gel? Long story short, there’s a small area of probable cellulitis on a scarred area and I’ve had antibiotics. I used aloe vera gel and it stung like ****.
Finished rads 6 days ago and now i’m getting the warm boob.

Hi Katiepoo
I've not commented for a while I finished Rads end of October. Everything has settled down nicely no lingering skin problems just occasional bout of tiredness.

I was also diagnosed through routine screening, so lump to feel. I'm trying not to think about other breast and possibility of anything wrong there. I do check but if It can't be felt then its early screening that will find anything so I'll cross that bridge next November when I get first screen.

As for nausea I was the same but it was the meds. I take carbimazole for overactive thyroid, letrozole, vitamin D, Calcium and Naproxen pain relief. All these were upsetting my stomach so docs have me omezaporole (spelling??) This settled everything down.
I'm enjoying my Christmas present a puppy Cocker Spaniel called Jet he's gorgeous. Getting cuddles and keeping busy with our new family member.

Hope you and everyone have a Happy Christmas and Happy healthy new year.

Susan xxx
Community Champion

Ladies

Sending you all wishes for a Happy Christmas and all the very best for 2019.

Helena xxx

Community Champion

katiepoo

Oh I bet it is the antibiotics, I have had that with some types as well as having a horrible taste in my mouth, cant remember which one it was though Smiley Sad

Sending you happy christmas hugs

helena xxx

Yes I've had back pain - those 'beds' are rock hard! I was also told to put cream on my back because sometimes the radiotherapy comes through, especially if you're having your collarbone treated.
Highlighted

Helena,
I’ve kept my fluid intake up. I was on antibiotics last week so thought it was those causing nausea. It feels like hearburn/reflux, so I’ve found some meds at home for that and will try.
I’m seeing oncologist on 28th so will mention it.
Community Champion

katiepoo

The nausea is  possibly due to tiredness post rads but it might be worth giving your rads team a call and ask them, the other thing I am wondering is are you taking in enough fluids in the day.  It is easy to make sure you do this whilst undergoing rads and then fall back into not doing it post rads

Helena xxx

G2G2,
I never actually found a lump. I had routine screening.... so hence my worry🙄

Has anyone felt nauseated post rads?
I think it might be associated with the tiredness, but I’m feeling really nauseated...

Worried about checking other breast makes absolute sense, but you found the first lump and dealt with it. You just have to do the same again. Keep checking and have a good Christmas. I am having therapy until 9th Jan.

I don't think I nearly dropped off due to fatigue hitting, I was just comfortable and having a pleasant day dream!

It's nice to have the weekend off and then just one day back before another day off. Because of the holidays and my planning day I've ended up have 4 x 4 day weeks rather than 3 x 5 days, which seems to me like an improvement.

I finished my 15 rads yesterday. Got a bit emotional I have to say.
Thankfully all my appointments were on time, so no hanging around....
The fatigue started to hit me this week early evening, with a strange feeling of tightness in my throat, chest and then a “ i need to sit down” feeling.
Went back to work last Tuesday on a phased return. (I’m a nurse)
I’m actually scared of checking my other boob,if that makes sense🙄

Yes, and for the first week they also tried to make me do this horrid deep-breath-and-hold exercise which I couldn’t do... incredibly stressful! Try asking them to just the angle of the rad bed for you? A slight variation might be enough...

Try Sainsbury’s Source of Nature day or night cream - I found soothing although the itchy spots just take time to go. Remember the radio goes on microwaving us for 2 weeks after the final session!

Hi Kathyx, I found I wasn’t tired (just fed up with long waits in hospital) right through my 15 rads, but now a week later I feel fine in the morning but have noticed my stamina is less than usual in the run up to Christmas... by teatime, I just have to sit down and read a book! And am going to bed earlier than usual... but otherwise much enjoying not being in the hospital every day!

i have a kind of prickly heat rash on my chest, neck and back of shoulder which is fine during the day but can be irritating enough to keep me awake at night. Using Sainsbury’s Source of Nature paraben-free cream to cool it down... doesn’t sort it (I guess that’s just a matter of time) but eases the itchiness...

Have a great Christmas all!

I have to admit I haven't - I nearly nodded off today. Do you think they may have the knee support in the wrong place for you?

Anyone experienced back pain lying on the hard rad bed? I took paracetamol 25 mins before my appointment which was a few mins late so came out 20 mins after time it was booked so they should have worked. My back was pink where it hurt. Thanks.

I've now had my first three so a fifth of the way through!

What I'm looking forward to tomorrow (and I say this at the risk of scandalising younger members who tend to think a minimum of a shower a day is compulsory) is just getting up and getting dressed without having a shower. Getting wet on cold winter mornings really isn't my thing!

Hi Linda,

I am finding it really easy so far thank you. Using the biofine and drinking lots of water, and no ill-effects so far! I am not working yet, but will start again on 2nd January, mornings only, til the last radiotherapy on 10th January, then full-time, all being well. I don't feel tired yet, but we shall see!

Best wishes

Jane xxx

I started 20 sessions on Monday. I still find it a strange experience. It has been fine so far. I just need to allow lots of time and wash.in cooler water than normal if possible but am cold first thing so finding that hard. I have been moisturizing 3 times a day first thing after dads and last thing. How is everyone getting on? How are you finding it Jane? I am working full time and just going home after my afternoon appointments. x

Well, they phoned yesterday to confirm today's appointment so off I go!

Bah! That's all you need! Our machine broke last week too but it was fixed by the afternoon, apparently it's not that uncommon!

Well, that was something of a damp squib as I got there only to find that the machine wasn't working! Apparently they'll phone tonight if it's still out tomorrow so just have to wait and see. Hey ho!

Hi again Kathyx I know what you mean about having to stay still! I was told the planning session is the hardest/longest session for staying still and keeping the position, so hopefully it'll be easier for you next time. About those blooming marks - they told me not to scrub them off, it's ok if they stay on a bit, they won't start thinking I can't have had a shower!! I also have a mark covered by tape near my neck which can stay on as long as it doesn't fall off, which means they don't have to keep doing so many x-rays to check the position, but that's because I'm having my collarbone done too, which might not be relevant for you. Also, you might be pleased to know the sessions get quicker later on. In the early days they have to do lots more checks for alignment by taking pics, but when they know they're getting it spot on, they don't have to take the pics, so that makes things quicker too. They said if I kept doing the exercises gently that might help the arm ache. Hope that's helpful. It was v helpful hearing from you yesterday, so thank you!

Well done - nearly there!

I found that none of my bras was 100% cotton (one's 95%) but I've ordered another which should arrive in a few days, Christmas post permitted. I tend to go without a bra in the summer anyway so I expect I'll do that most of the time now as I don't plan to be going anywhere much in the next few weeks.

The planning/dry run session went well, although difficult to stay still for over half an hour, particularly with the machines orbiting round me like some kind of strange planetarium visit! They very kindly told me I could wash off all the markings they'd made, which was a hint that I hadn't done a very good job of washing off the last lot!

Good luck Kathyx
I bought a couple of sumpstiously soft cotton bras from M+S with a slighty bigger cup size to stop them being straight onto my nipple.
10/15 to be done today...

I go for my dry run this afternoon and then start properly tomorow. 

I'm stacked up with Simple soap, Aveeno and E45, gallons of bottled water and stacks of brand new but well washed towels (not bought for the purpose). My tops and bras are sorted into cotton and non cotton but I'm sure I'll find something I've forgotten.

Let the zapping commence!

Community Champion

katiepoo

Oh my dear hope the antibiotics work quickly for you xx

I’m on Day 10/15 today. But have developed a raised red area which is tender just where I had a previous infected haematoma following my WLE.
Saw a Dr yesterday and I’ve been started on antibiotics😞😞
Fingers crossed this is not yet another abscess

I get free parking at my hospital as well, only one problem there is no space left to park in.

But it is not so bad as can get there on public transport, either two buses or a tram and bus.

I started the zapping today, So easy just lie back and think of England! 

Only 15 left to go.

Community Champion

Kathy

Well I am impressed with that, we had free parking at our hospital and you can have hospital transport but taxi is well good.

I was the same started mine on 20 December 2016 and because of Xmas and New Year it meant that it was an extra 4 days off I didnt finish mine until 19 Jan as I had 20 sessions.

I think you are right, as with everything treatment affects people in different ways so it is really a matter of just being aware of your body and going with what it tells you.

Helena xxx

Kathyx
I’m glad that it was the evening the first bout of fatigue hit me. I was sat on the sofa which was a fab place for that to happen!🤣

Katiepoo - that's half way though so not all that early, I suppose. Day 8 for me would be 28 December so I might still be reasonable company on Christmas Day, with any luck.

Hi Kathyx,
I’m on Day 8 today of 15. I had my first bit of fatigue last night....🙄 which surprised me as being so soon.
I’ve just got one red area on my boob already which is sore and a bit of a lump has formed.... I’m using Aloe Vera on this to try and get the redness down...
Hopefully get to see a rads nurse today

Helena, thanks for the optimistic reply.

I'm about an hour away from the hospital but this is less of a problem because I'm in France where taxi transport is provided for all chemo and rads sessions. Also, as I won't be having treatment on Christmas Day or New Years Day I'll only have one week when I have to go in every day.

I'll have to see how I go.