Community Champion

Re: December 2018 Radiotherapy

Kathy

Well I am impressed with that, we had free parking at our hospital and you can have hospital transport but taxi is well good.

I was the same started mine on 20 December 2016 and because of Xmas and New Year it meant that it was an extra 4 days off I didnt finish mine until 19 Jan as I had 20 sessions.

I think you are right, as with everything treatment affects people in different ways so it is really a matter of just being aware of your body and going with what it tells you.

Helena xxx

Kathyx
I’m glad that it was the evening the first bout of fatigue hit me. I was sat on the sofa which was a fab place for that to happen!🤣

Katiepoo - that's half way though so not all that early, I suppose. Day 8 for me would be 28 December so I might still be reasonable company on Christmas Day, with any luck.

Hi Kathyx,
I’m on Day 8 today of 15. I had my first bit of fatigue last night....🙄 which surprised me as being so soon.
I’ve just got one red area on my boob already which is sore and a bit of a lump has formed.... I’m using Aloe Vera on this to try and get the redness down...
Hopefully get to see a rads nurse today

Helena, thanks for the optimistic reply.

I'm about an hour away from the hospital but this is less of a problem because I'm in France where taxi transport is provided for all chemo and rads sessions. Also, as I won't be having treatment on Christmas Day or New Years Day I'll only have one week when I have to go in every day.

I'll have to see how I go.

Community Champion

Fezzy

It might be worth just giving your rads team a call and see what they can suggest.

Helena xx

Community Champion

Kathy

Hello and welcome to the thread, glad that you have things sorted out and are getting ready to start rads.

With regard to fatigue if does not always follow that you will get fatigue.  I was advised to drink 2 litres of fluid a day as this would help with potential dehydration from the rads which may cause fatigue, also I think it depends on the journey you have to do each day. 

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Janie

Hello and welcome to the thread.  I am sure you will get loads of help and support on here, any questions just ask and someone will be able to help you.

Helena xxx

hi  I am 2 weeks post rads and for the last weeks I have got progressively more sore first it was under my breast which is still red but not so sore now but now it is where my scar is very itchy and sore, I have tried aloe vera which did calm the redness down. The whole area of radiotherapy is covered in red itchy spots , but at least the skin is still intact.  I have even resorted to calamine lotion which did calm the itching for a while, anyone got any advice of anything else to try. I suppose it will take time. Mavit hope you start to get better soon.  Fezzy x

Helena ( lady bowler)
Thanks . Post Rads day 3. Still feeling sore and very itchy . Finding uncomfortable wearing soft cotton bra having to moisturize few times daily .
Been drinking plenty of fluids however keep running to the Loos lol
Hope you are all doing well xx

Hi

After a delay of a few weeks because I chose to change centres, I start radiotherapy on Monday - having had two lots of tattoos done at the different centres. Much happier with where I am now - at least so far.

How soon before the fatigue is likely to kick in, or does it vary?

Good wishes to all.

Hi ladies,

I am joining this thread as I will start radiotherapy on 18th December. Brief history is that I was diagnosed with a large area of DCIS and a large invasive tumour ( they thought it was 5cm but it was actually 4cm). It was triple positive so I had neo-adjuvant chemotherapy, which resulted in a full pathological response to the invasive tumour ( all the tumour had gone), but due to the size of the DCIS I had to have a mastectomy. It has been a long journey from finding a lump on 1st May. I wish all the December ladies well. We can do this!

Best wishes

Jane xx

Community Champion

[ Edited ]

mavit

Sorry it is day late, however ringing the bell for you today on completing your rads.  Re the fatigue, are you still taking in plenty of fluid as that will help with the dehydration which can cause the fatigue

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

ringing bells.gif

Hello everybody

I have been posting under November Rads thread updating on treatment. I am pleased to say that yesterday I finished my 4 week course of Rads.

I am so relieved and feel that a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

With regards to treatment , I am suffering from fatigue and enjoyed having a lay in bed and will be spending the run up to Christmas and New Year resting up before going back to work in the NY.

I feel very sore plus my breast is bright red , got sore during the last booster week. Luckily no cracks only dryness ..

The radiographers were all nice and very supportive. They gave me hydrogel to apply to the affected area and cool pads to wear under my bra on my breast which helps .

I am so glad I no longer have to make that dreaded commute to hospital daily.

My 6 week follow up appt is scheduled for 28 Jan 2019 plus I have enrolled on the BCC moving forward course which starts mid Jan 2019.

Hopefully in the New Year I will be able to get back to normality and focus on my health and well-being.

I hope those undergoing Rads are doing ok and wish all the best to those scheduled to have treatment.

Best wishes xx 😘

Hi,

I found out yesterday I start on the 17th. I just need some Aveeno or E45 I think. I have 4 weeks including 5 days which are a boost. I went to an open evening last night so saw behind the scenes. I had a Therepeutic Mammoplasty and had chemo first  (7 FEC-T).

bw,

Linda x

Highlighted

I will ask them today. I’ve heard of it.
Community Champion

katiepoo

Ask you rads team what they can give you.  I know when the area around my nipple got sensitive and looked like it might be starting to break down the rads murse gave me a polymem dressing, it is supposed to be for burns however I used to cut a square of it and put it between my bra and skin and it helped with the rubbing xx

Has anyone got any tips on what to put between my bra and nipple?
I’m on Day 5/15 today of rads. All going ok so far🤞
I had WLE in September, but developed an infected haematoma 3 weeks later which opened up the scar.
More surgery and three times a week dressing changes for 5 weeks. I’ve removed the dressing this week, but my nipple has been so sensitive since then.
I dont want to go back to dressings as pyscologically i needed to see my wound/scar and get used to it.
I am using Aveeno cream
Community Champion

Adrift

What a wonederfully thoughtful thing to do, I am sure you are going to get so much joy and pleasure from opening a present every day and so nice that they have included something for the days when you are not having rads xxx

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share a random act of kindness that I have received. Someone from my local church, knowing that I was starting radiotherapy on Tuesday, gave me a carrier bag full of 22 wrapped gifts. She explained that they are one for every day of my treatment (including weekends). The gifts, she said, were small and silly, but to me,the sentiment and care taken with wrapping them speaks volumes. So far I have opened a mini stollen, a water bottle, and 2 packs of tissues. I feel so lucky as the gifts give me something to look forward to after each treatment :-).

Has anyone else experienced such kindness, or are there any other tips to lift our spirits as we go through the treatment?