Re: December 2018 Radiotherapy

Hi ladies,

I am joining this thread as I will start radiotherapy on 18th December. Brief history is that I was diagnosed with a large area of DCIS and a large invasive tumour ( they thought it was 5cm but it was actually 4cm). It was triple positive so I had neo-adjuvant chemotherapy, which resulted in a full pathological response to the invasive tumour ( all the tumour had gone), but due to the size of the DCIS I had to have a mastectomy. It has been a long journey from finding a lump on 1st May. I wish all the December ladies well. We can do this!

Best wishes

Jane xx

Community Champion

[ Edited ]

mavit

Sorry it is day late, however ringing the bell for you today on completing your rads.  Re the fatigue, are you still taking in plenty of fluid as that will help with the dehydration which can cause the fatigue

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

ringing bells.gif

Hello everybody

I have been posting under November Rads thread updating on treatment. I am pleased to say that yesterday I finished my 4 week course of Rads.

I am so relieved and feel that a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

With regards to treatment , I am suffering from fatigue and enjoyed having a lay in bed and will be spending the run up to Christmas and New Year resting up before going back to work in the NY.

I feel very sore plus my breast is bright red , got sore during the last booster week. Luckily no cracks only dryness ..

The radiographers were all nice and very supportive. They gave me hydrogel to apply to the affected area and cool pads to wear under my bra on my breast which helps .

I am so glad I no longer have to make that dreaded commute to hospital daily.

My 6 week follow up appt is scheduled for 28 Jan 2019 plus I have enrolled on the BCC moving forward course which starts mid Jan 2019.

Hopefully in the New Year I will be able to get back to normality and focus on my health and well-being.

I hope those undergoing Rads are doing ok and wish all the best to those scheduled to have treatment.

Best wishes xx 😘

Hi,

I found out yesterday I start on the 17th. I just need some Aveeno or E45 I think. I have 4 weeks including 5 days which are a boost. I went to an open evening last night so saw behind the scenes. I had a Therepeutic Mammoplasty and had chemo first  (7 FEC-T).

bw,

Linda x

I will ask them today. I’ve heard of it.
Community Champion

katiepoo

Ask you rads team what they can give you.  I know when the area around my nipple got sensitive and looked like it might be starting to break down the rads murse gave me a polymem dressing, it is supposed to be for burns however I used to cut a square of it and put it between my bra and skin and it helped with the rubbing xx

Has anyone got any tips on what to put between my bra and nipple?
I’m on Day 5/15 today of rads. All going ok so far🤞
I had WLE in September, but developed an infected haematoma 3 weeks later which opened up the scar.
More surgery and three times a week dressing changes for 5 weeks. I’ve removed the dressing this week, but my nipple has been so sensitive since then.
I dont want to go back to dressings as pyscologically i needed to see my wound/scar and get used to it.
I am using Aveeno cream
Community Champion

Adrift

What a wonederfully thoughtful thing to do, I am sure you are going to get so much joy and pleasure from opening a present every day and so nice that they have included something for the days when you are not having rads xxx

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share a random act of kindness that I have received. Someone from my local church, knowing that I was starting radiotherapy on Tuesday, gave me a carrier bag full of 22 wrapped gifts. She explained that they are one for every day of my treatment (including weekends). The gifts, she said, were small and silly, but to me,the sentiment and care taken with wrapping them speaks volumes. So far I have opened a mini stollen, a water bottle, and 2 packs of tissues. I feel so lucky as the gifts give me something to look forward to after each treatment :-).

Has anyone else experienced such kindness, or are there any other tips to lift our spirits as we go through the treatment?

Hi everyone

I had a WLE and sentinel node biopsy in October and started 15 sessions of radiotherapy last Thursday, so I'm one week down, two to go.

Up until today the worst thing for me has been travelling there and back.  I am having to use a taxi because I have early appointments, and it was late one day and I got really stressed and upset. 

This morning I started to itch and the skin is quite red in a few areas on the breast and under the arm.  I mentioned it to the radiographers this morning and they had a look.  They are going to keep an eye on it, but think that there is one patch that the nurse may need to put a dressing on.

I've been using Aveeno cream but I saw my GP today for a regular appointment and he has given me a prescription for some Centraben cream so I will see how that goes.

Community Champion

Fezzy

Ask your rads team about polymemo which is a dressing to help with after efffects of rads, my rads team gave me some as I was suffering a bit with the area around my mipple and I just used to put it between my bra and skin it really helped xxx

Community Champion

shirleyvalentine

Oh that sounds a wonderful way of celebrating the end of your rads have a wonderful time.

I am doing really well thank you xxx

hi Shirleyvalentine looks like we are at the same stage, feel exactly the same as you that life has been on hold for the last five months, must admit to feeling down that my skin has gotten so sore now, just feeling impatient to be able to get back to feeling normal. so pleased that you are ok and enjoy your London day out with your husband.  Fezzy x

Awww shame Fezzy, hope the stuff works for you. I’ve been using antihistamines for the last two weeks, seem to work, but I can’t wear any of my lovely winter jumpers though as it prickles too much even through shirts and vests!

Im so glad people share their reactions during and post rads so I’m well prepared for the next couple weeks good or bad. But... I do know it’s not forever. I’m going out to London on Saturday to celebrate the end of my active treatment with my husband, I felt like everything has been on hold for the last 5 months. No idea what to wear... two scars, bright red spotty skin and can’t wear a bra... but... don’t care... while I feel relief at the moment I’ll take that, as I don’t know how I’ll feel a few months down the line, so for now I’m feeling positive and that’s great.

Thank you for the bells Helena xxx hope you’re doing well too.

I am 7 days post radiotherapy today, thought I was doing great no real issues with burns etc, then today incredibly itchy very sore under my boob, my skin hasn't broken so my GP prescribed barrier cream and antihistamines for the itching and told me to carry on with the Aveeno cream, thought it was too good to be true that I would get off without any probs. think it must have been the 5 boosts that tipped me over the edge.  best wishes to all,   Fezzy x

I’m having my 3rd session today. I wasn’t advised on a particular cream, just not to use a Parafin based one. I’m using Aveeno which as my appointments are at 3pm I use in the morning and rub in well, whilst I’m getting dressed after the rads and before i go to bed.
Community Champion

shirleyvalentine

Woo hoo ringing the bell for you tonight, well done, what will you do with all that spare time now Smiley Happy Smiley Happy.

ringing bells.gif

Helena xxx

Finished today! 20/20 and I am delighted! All my weekends are now mine! Didn’t think I’d be so pleased, but the last week dragged. I’m a bit sore, a bit itchy and I’ll just pace myself over the next couple of weeks. Got a lovely hug from one of the nurses which was nice. There IS light at the end of the tunnel so good luck to everyone going through December and beyond, you can do it!! Xx

Thanks Helena,

I went for my first appointment this morning, and nothing was said about timings for moisturising, I also wasn't asked when I had used the cream. Maybe it is the preference of the radiographers?

Community Champion

Adrift

I was recommended to use E45, I think it varies between hospital trusts.  One thing I was told not to apply the E45 less than 2 hours before I had a rads session, what I used to do was take it with me and apply it immediately after my session whilst I was gettng dressed.

Helena