I had mastectomy with immediate implant recon in Nov 2017, radiotherapy in Feb 2018. I have had capsular contracture confirmed by surgeon and am deciding on my next steps. The surgeon told me that cap con occurs in about 40% of cases like mine. He also said it’s best to consider the implant as a temporary measure and assume that further surgery would be needed. Maybe if I’d been told that a year and a half ago I might have made a different decision. Obviously many women do not suffer cap con but this is my experience. Hope you get more information to help you make your decision x
Hopefully other Forum users will reply with their experience too. In the meantime, you can talk through your query regarding surgery or radiotherapy with one of our breast care nurses. We're here Monday to Friday 9am-4pm and Saturdays 9am-1pm. The number to call is 0808 800 6000. If you prefer to ask your question in writing, you can email our nurses instead.
After a positive SNB I have been advised to have ANC before final radiotherapy. However, I probably have the choice of it being done by surgery or radiotherapy. I have an implant so already have a risk of getting a capsular contracture. Anyone know if more radiotherapy would increase the risk of that?