cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2018 Radiotherapy

Re: April 2018 Radiotherapy

Hi all,

I start on the 10th April and have been told nothing apart from that I may get a sunburn effect...aqueous cream was mentioned to use, but not certain if the skin needs to be clean before each sessions?....dreading having a bad reaction...any ideas or advice would be welcomed

thanks

Lin x

Clear margins are good jencat. As the others have said he wouldn’t be sending you to rads if further surgery was required.
Sending hugs xxb

I meant to say clear margins after the op! x

Thank you Cassie for your reassurance on this thread and chemo. This is what I keep thinking, surely the consultant wouldn't be putting me forward for rads if he was really worried. He did comment that although I had clear  after the op, they were quite close, so I suppose there still could have been some cancer left, but then I'd have thought chemo would have made a difference if that was the case?! Also, the consultant isn't seeing me again after I've finished radiotherapy and as I'm not starting for another 3wks and treatment will be for 5-6wks, that's a long time before I next see him! xx

Well done everyone on rads today. It's another one to tick off!
Jencat I replied to your comment on the other thread. But if the Dr was worried he would be wanting more tests not putting you through for rads. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about and you'll be ticking those rads off soon. Big hugs xx

Thank you all for your good wishes today x

My PET scan showed that there is no sign of spread, which of course is a relief.There is still a little cancer in the two lymph nodes in my breast, but the consultant said the scan didn't show up anything he didn't expect.

My breast also showed some signs of activity, but the consultant didn't seem worried and said it's probably where my breast is still settling down after the op and scar tissue. He won't know definitely until he can compare my two PET scans, so I'm feeling a bit anxious about it.

He said that he's going ahead with radiotherapy as planned and I can have it at that hospital. (Hurrah! It's not my local hospital, but nearer than Guy's where I might have had to go) Consultant said 5-6wks of treatment and he's going to give me the strongest dose! I've also got to hold my breath for 20secs, so I'm practising! Planning meeting should be next week, but don't think rads will start for a couple of weeks after that!

Felt really teary when I got back to the car and had a good old cry! I'm grateful nothing else showed up on the scan, but then worrying about something else going on in my breast, even though the consultant doesn't seem to be. Also surely I couldn't get bc whilst having chemo?! Having to keep giving myself a good talking to! xx

2 down, 13 to go! Easier today 😊 home again and all creamed up. 

Weekend off, have a good one everybody! Xx

4 down 11 to go!

Good to hear it's going ok lesley62 😊

I've started feeling a little tired so am having a small nap now once home! Also feel a little nauseous but that could be because my blood pressure is on the low side at mo!

Looking forward to the weekend as going on one of my training walks and hopefully in the sunshine! ☀️

Hope you all are getting on ok? xx

4 down 16 to go!!  

First week done - and touch wood it's all going ok.  I've noticed a bit of pinkness but not sore or tender.  2 days respite and then lets do it all again next week!

Had a good session with the onc aswell, I wasn't sure about her at the beginning but she's ok!!  Told me vitamin supplements were a waste of money, unless the bloods showed anything and then she would prescribe something and we spoke about weight and fluid retention.  Basically too soon - give it a year! Bit depressing!!

I only see my partner at the weekend, so will be heading over there shortly to be spoilt .... and work in his garden!

Hope everyone is getting on ok

xx

3 down 12 to go!
Good luck today Jencat x
How is everyone do you have plans for the weekend? X

Thank you Butterfly xx

Thanks Cassie x My appointment is at 11, although last time I saw the consultant there he was running 45mins late! x

Thank you Lesley and I'll let you know how it goes xx

Interesting Lesley.

Good luck Jencat. Xx

What's the aspirin trial Lesley?
Good luck tomorrow Jencat what time is your appointment? Let us know how you get on x

thinking of you Jencat - let us know how you get on 🤗💕

Glad you all got on ok with your rads today x I'm seeing the consultant tomorrow morning, so hopefully I'll be given a start date and told how many sessions I need. It depends on the result of last weeks PET scan-feel a bit anxious about that xx

I aim to please!!  

Life's too short to frown, plus it gives you lines and uses more calories!!  I'm basically lazy!!

😀

Your story about the old lady stripping off made me laugh Lesley! xx

They took x-rays on day 1 and said they would be looked over and if more were needed they would be done day 2 and 3 but then told me that the day 1 pics were fine?

They haven't said anything about weekly pics??

Seeing my onc after my sunbed session in the morning - consent for the add asprin trial, but I will be quizzing her about my complete lack of weight loss and awful water retention poss chemo 🙃 - really not happy dragging all this around with me!!

xx

Thanks Cassie, they did say something about pictures but I didn’t really understand what they meant! Think I was just short of half an hour today, so will see what happens tomorrow! 

Well done butterfly. My 2nd one was quicker than the first. Plus the radiographers told me that they take pictures for first 3days and the only once a week so after first few they are a bit quicker. I was in about 20 mins in total today including getting changed.

Number 1 done! Was quite a long one in all - certainly not as fast as you Lesley, not yet anyway! Plenty of breath holding whilst using my scuba diving tube 😂 25 seconds at a time 😱 felt my brain drying out at one point but was ok once I’d had some water! 

Understand what you mean about being peeled off the bed Roxanne, it was a bit of an effort getting up after! 

Took my cream with me but left it left my bag with my Mum, so didn’t put it on straight away 🙄 Will remember next time!

New list of times which are all over the place 😂 that’ll keep me on my toes! 

Have a a lovely evening everyone xx

No 9 of 15 down 💃💃💃.    I remember the days when i was...

No 9 of 15 down 💃💃💃. 

I remember the days when i was in and out in 10mins before the machine started breaking down and fatigue kicked in.😭  They had to scrap me off the machine today 😊😊😊.

I'm seeing the consultant tomorrow and hopefully my GP, i need to get over this😷😷 i need some 💆💅💓

Thank you Cassie, Lesley, Sandy now I know what to expect it’s less scary!
Lesley you made me lol 😂 wow you’ve got it down to a fine art already! Impressive 👏 xx

2 down! Good luck this afternoon butterfly. You only need strip top half I kept my watch in which is on same side that they are treating. Also kept my glasses on. As long as the area to be treated is free it doesn't seem to matter what else you have on.

Morning Butterflyflyfree  - number 3 ticked off for me this morning - in and out in 10 mins and that includes getting undressed and dressed and moisturised!!

yep watches, short necklaces and earrings all ok - specifically told not to take off trousers, they only give me a little half gown.... but apparently an 80 year old lady walked out fully stripped a while back ..... she was whipped back in to get re-dressed pretty smartish!

xx

Butterfly, I was told I could wear a belt and had one on for my first session yesterday. You only need to strip your top half. I was also told earrings are fine and necklaces as long as they are not that long. You can also wear a watch. Good luck with your first session - my first one was yesterday and its very quick but keep expecting to see or feel something from the machine but of course its just like getting a scan so it just makes a noise when its doing its thing x

Silly question ladies but I’ve had so many scans and stuff I’ve got myself muddled! Are we allowed to wear earrings and do we keep our trousers on, even if they have metal at the waist, for radiotherapy? My first one this afternoon. Thank you xx

Hi. I had a mastectomy and am also only having 15rads. Due to start next Wednesday 

Hi everyone, 

I had my first radiotherapy session today and amazed at how quick it is. Having 15 in total plus 3 boosters.

The areas being treated are where the lump was removed from my right breast, under my arm where the lymph nodes were removed and above my breast near to the collar bone.

I had 8 x chemo prior to surgery and had a partial response as the lump shrunk by half the original size and 2 of the 15 lymph nodes removed contained cancer cells.

Has been a long haul but now Ive started rads it feels like I'm finally getting near to the end of treatment. Hoping the side effects are not too bad and I'm definately planning on having a nice break away somewhere after xx

Bim, there's nothing wrong with good song

💃💃💃 having to admit I've been "rollin down the river"  all day😂😂

Community Champion

Andi

It is hard I know but it will benefit you in the long run as it helps with the potential dehydration from the rads which can cause fatigue.

Helena xxx

Hi WhyteFawn I had lumpectomy and a couple of lymph nodes removed and I’m having 20 Rads. 15 all breast and 5 targeting the area where the lump was removed. So similar story to many on this thread 🤗 I’m almost done just 3 to go. I keep bursting out into the song 🎶 it’s the final count down 🎸 like a right wally 😂 

Thanks Ladybowler
I have been practising the 2litres of water consumption for the last few days. I find it hard going but it's manageable xx

I am at Sheffield Andi. My last one is 24th April and my appointments are all in the morning so I might see you if you are around.
Community Champion

Andi

Dont forget the fluid intake xx

Hi Everyone
I've been reading all your comments and taking on board the tips and advice.
My planning meeting is next week and rads start on 16th April.
It will be almost 10 weeks from surgey when I start and can't come soon enough. Had WLE and the plan is 15 sessions.
Also going to Sheffield WhyteFawn so may see you there before you finish all your sessions.

Aloe Vera E45 and Aveeno at the ready with soft vest tops and a silk square.....sorted!

xxx
Community Champion

Lesley

I remember my oncologist telling me I was cancer free , and he actually said those words, when I met him for my apt prior to starting rads.  He actually said that they and the tamoxifen were just the belts and braces.

Helena xxx

I had a lumpectomy and full node clearance, but nodes were only 2/11 so onc said we didnt need to rad the neck area.

6 chemo sessions - 3 FEC and 3 T - you've got to love it!!

15 general boob and 5 targeted where the lesions were (one big and one baby!), which are on the left boob and on the side

TN - all gene tests came back negative

repeat CT scan after chemo came back clear - they were worried about my liver

In my little mind I was cancer free after the surgery - chemo and rads are just the clean up crew for any rogue cells.  Probably deluded, but it keeps me sane!!

xx

I was told that you get more rads for a lumpectomy because they haven’t removed as much tissue, so there is more risk of stray cancer cells in the breast. I’m having 15 normal and 4 boosters -had lumpectomy and SNB. Hope that helps prove your theory! 

Number 2 rads in the bag for me today ... think I might start taking my aloe vera gel with me from tomorrow as am going slightly pink already!

Good luck to all you lovelies having your first one later today, tomorrow and onwards xx

Another bites the dust....

i had a mx and immediately reconstruction.

i'm having 15 sessions of radio because the cancer was close to my skin.

i also had the sentinal biopsy and that was clearHeartHeart

Oh and will add wet wipes to my list of things to take! Thank you for the hint Lesley! Xx

Hi Cassie, I’m having 15 and have had a left side mx with SNB. I had chemo first, I wonder if that affects the number too? Xx

No er+ so am having monthly zoladex injections and 10 years of tamoxifen.
I have to go to a different hospital for rads too. I had all my treatment so far at chesterfield but rads are only done in Sheffield so have to travel there every day. It's a pain but most of my appointments are first thing so shouldn't be too bad.
Hopefully you'll get a start date on Friday Jencat and you can join us for the great boobie bbq

They're targeting the lymph node and collar bone the same as you Cassie, but it's on my left side, hence the holding breath, hope I'll be able to do it! Didn't realise wmen who've had mx didn't get boosters. I can't remember, are you TN like me?

No, haven't got a start date yet! As the hospital I was supposed to go to couldn't do my rads, my onc referred me to Guy's, so had to wait to be accepted by them. Fortunately I didn't have to go to Guy's to see the consultant as the trust has links with another hospital which is nearer to me and I'm hoping they will be able to do my rads there. (Had to go to Guy's last week for the PET scan and I was exhausted when I got home, wouldn't like to have to travel up there daily for rads)

I saw the consultant on 16th March and he said rads wouldn't be starting for 4/5wks because he wanted me to recover a bit more from chemo and he wanted me to have a scan so that he could check the size of the lymph node (It shrunk back to normal size during chemo) and that will determine how many sessions I need, although he was saying minimum of 4 1/2wks because of the node. I got the impression that 15 would be on my breast and then boosters to target the node and collar bone. I'm seeing him again this Friday, so hopefully I'll get planning and start dates then. Feeling a bit anxious about it though as I always worry about getting results of a scan, although I understand why the consultant wanted me to have one. Sorry Cassie, I've rambled on a bit! xx

Well done on no2 Lesley. Ticking them off now!