Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2018 Radiotherapy

Re: April 2018 Radiotherapy

Great that you're a quarter through already Lesley! Smiley Happy x

Well done Bim! Smiley Happy x

well done Bim - one hell of an achievement!!

🛎

I can’t quite believe it but I’m ringing the bell today folks!! It’s been great to be part of this wonderful group of ladies.. p.s. I’m not going anywhere 😂😂 it’s great having your virtual support and continued advice 🤗

Glad it was an easy solution Lesley, enjoy the freedom! Xx

number 5 done - quarter of the way thru now!

I asked the radiographers about redness that I spotted under my boob - turns out I might have been overly cautious and the redness was caused by too much cream.  Advised to lay off the cream and go bra less as much as possible!

Happy Monday all!!

xx

Hope it goes well tomorrow BizzyLizzy x

Thank you all for your support 

it's so good not to feel so alone with this all 

we are the only ones who have an understanding of how it feels even though we all have our experiences to deal with .

Thanks Helena, really helps for me to know this as my first session is on the 10th. I'll make sure I avoid cream and apply cream through the day after each session which are scheduled for 8.45am. I'm going to go to my local health food shop and get some aloe vera gel , I've used that before when I had 'real' sunburn from a holiday.

I've heard that drinking fluids helps- water that is,  rather than the stronger stuff!

I'll let you all know how I'm doing, thanks for the support,

Lin xx

thank you, I think all the waiting to begin is making things more fraught, hopefully i'll feel a bit better after this week.

Lin x

Community Champion

BizzyLizzy

Like everything in our treatment plan, the first one is always the worst because it is fear of the unknown, but once you have got that one under your belt it is a lot easier.

Drinking plenty of fluid helps with the potential fatigue from the dehyration effects of the rads, I was told a good 2 litres a day.  As always just listen to your body

Good luck for tomorrow xxx

Morning all

Nat - as others have said, it is normal to have 'bad days', it would be more worrying if you didn't - having a good cry often makes you feel better.  It does for me, although the red nose and eyes look doesn't exactly enhance the current chemo look!!

I think in some respects it is easier for us chemo girls to go thru the rads, because in comparison it is so much gentler on us and over and done with in 3/4 weeks rather than drawn out over 18/24 weeks.  But it doesn't detract from the fact that rads are an assault on your body and one which your body will kick back against.   

None of us planned for this bump in the road, and none of us want it, but we have it and have to get over/round it as best we can, but as I said, you are allowed to have times when it all seems insurmountable.  

We are all here for each other - so moan and weep away and we will all hold your hand, virutally, as best we can.

Bizzy - getting the first one out of the way is a biggie and sets your mind at rest, I've only had 4, but I'm already into the swing of it - another week and it will be my new normal!

love and hugs to everyone

xx

I start Rads in the morning and feel that I have in my usual anxious state built it up to be so much more scary than in reality it may be - 

have good movement and can breath hold as it's on the left- but the whole environment of the hospital in it's self is so depressing which of course it will be as it is a cancer treatment centre and there are so many people less unlucky than me and I feel guilty.

as I have ME and am already tired after two surgeries and the numerous appointments we all have to go through I am a worried about the fatigue that so many describe and how this affect me as well as the side effects of the Rads.

i have my Aloe lotion and E45 and am prepared to drink the recommended 3Litres of water.

think after the first treatment I may not be so fearful.

hope all of the rest of you are doing well as expected x 

Hi Nat sorry your feeling down today. Though I'm sure all of us I've had those moments where we're fed up with it. I know I have. I just wanted my life to be normal again. I'm 34, I have a job that I really enjoy. I have loads of hobbies that I had to give up whilst having treatment. I've got 2 years of zoladex injections and 10 years of tamoxifen to look forward to. Though now I am returning to normal. I've been back at work since the beginning of March and am returning to my hobbies. It's like normal just a bit different to how it was before. Don't beat yourself up for having there moments we've all had them. Take some time for yourself. Do something you enjoy even if it just going for a short walk.
I hope you manage to enjoy your day x

I feel bad posting this as everyone on this thread is so brilliantly cheerful and positive- but I’m feeling so low.

I’m sitting on my sofa unable to stop sobbing! I’m not sure why now - I’ve been so positive til now - and all through diagnosis and surgery (I avoided chemo as my Oncotype test said it wasn’t needed) but with starting rads tomorrow I’m just so fed up with this cancer journey. My Letrozole side effects are horrible (been on it 7 months now as they put me on it neoadjuvant last summer). Woke up this am with my hands so stiff it was painful to get dressed. I feel knackered all the time. I’m only 46. Yet I haven’t even been through the chemo most of you have, so I feel really weak for being tearful when you’re all so positive!

The thought of going into hospital every day for the next four weeks, and 9 1/2 more years of hands that don’t work and constant fatigue (on top of the other side effects) just makes me want to get off this bus. But we can’t, can we! And my lovely husband has just for a fortnight on a work trip which he couldn’t cancel. He cancelled all his work trips last autumn for me and couldn’t miss this one. So I feel really alone. 

Sorry to lower the mood of the thread. 😢

Thank you Butterfly x I was surprised myself to receive a letter so quickly! x

Glad you got your dates so quick Jencat. Xx

Community Champion

Dusty don't worry yourself too much as most of us don't have any severe reaction to rads, I'm hopeless at applying any lotion as I hate the feel of it on my skin 😝 I used Aqueous cream at least once a day but as Helena says not just before treatment, I usually did it after my shower in the evening and I had nothing worse than a mild sunburn effect , I actually was sunbathing 3 weeks later with no problem at all Xx Jo 

Community Champion

Dusty

I was told not to apply any cream less than 2 hours before my rads session.  I used to take a bottle of E45 with me and when I was getting dressed again I would apply it then. 

They recommend that you apply the moisturiser twice a day at least.  I used 99.9% aloe vera as well as it was lovely and cooling, especially if kept in the fridge.

I was told to drink a good 2 litres of fluid a day as it helps with the dehyfrating effects of the rads which can potentially cause fatigue.

The best thing to do is to listen t your body as it will tell you when you need to rest and if you are concerned in any way about anything just ask your rads team each day, they will be keeping a good eye on you and will advise you accordingly.

Helena xxx

Thank you for your reassuring reply Lesley. I got my rads letter today-very efficient as I only went yesterday! I've got CT scan on 17th and rads start on 30th, so I just get into the April rads group! Smiley Happy I've got a feeling that I might be starting on the day you finish?! x