cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2018 Radiotherapy

304 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: April 2018 Radiotherapy

Wishing all the April rads ladies a happy and healthy 2019. Hope you're all doing well x

I can definitely recommend the Polymem dressings, I used them when the skin split under my boob and they worked like a dream, they are miraculous! 

Kaz xx

I used Mothercare nipple protector pads, bought them online, they are for breast feeding mum's bug certainly helped sooth and calm my sore itchy nipple!! Hope you get sorted soon ❤❤
Community Champion

Cathysid

Ask you team if they can give you a supply of Polymemo dressing, that is what I was given when it looked as if my skin was breaking down.  Fortunately it didnt however it certainly worked in helping protect my nipple against rubbing on my bra.

Helena xxx

Well done to all who have finished!
I just have two boosts to go then I reach the end.
Just wondering if anyone else is suffering a sore and oozy nipple? I’ve been told not to apply any cream to it, but that’s all the help I’ve been given. If I don’t put a cabbage leaf inside my top it sticks to my clothes and then I loose more skin trying to detach it. Any tips to help it heal?
Cath x

Great idea to do pink BizzyLizzy but I’ve been talked out of it by my horrified family. Age came into some of the arguments which made me feel about 105. Really, can’t we have a bit of fun! So I am doomed to have a safe colour. Or maybe I’ll rebel! 

F

I coloured my own - pink at the ends for breast cancer awareness 

it was fine 

had a trim last week was shocked how many grey hairs have appeared since my diagnosis 

but at the routes - so have not tackled them as yet but the dyed bit is fine 

feel a bit like a tabby cat lol but having my hair cut removed all the dry ends from treatment 

Great! Thanks Andi. I agree about feeling better. Im not ready to go grey yet! 

Best wishes everyone

F

I also had my hair coloured during Rads.
I asked the radiographer first who confirmed ok and just as Jill has said.

Must say I felt much better after I had the grey touched up.

xx

Thanks very much Jill1998

Community Champion

Fenouillard

I know exactly how you feel, when I was having my rads it was over the Xmas period 2016/2017 and it extended my rads by 5 days, all I wanted was to get to the end of it, but you get there xx

Cant help on the colouring thing though.

Helena xx

Community Champion

Unless you have recently had chemo or you are having radiotherapy to your head it's fine to colour your hair .I asked when I was going through treatment.

Hello everyone

I know this sounds completely counter intuitive and that most of you will be enjoying the sunshine over the bank holiday, but I’m feeling frustrated that I’ve got three days off instead of getting to the end of my radiotherapy. So it stretches out into the distance again. Sorry!

I also have a question for you. I’m trying to find out when I could start a recolouring my hair after radiotherapy ends. The question seems to get mixed up with advice on chemo and I am findind everything from 

‘not a problem’ to ‘wait 12 months’. Did anyone else ask their oncologist? I’m not sure mine is sufficiently in tune with female concerns to have an answer to that!

Have a lovely holiday everyone

F

Hi Jencat no I didn’t have a choice! It was a mouthpiece like a scuba diver uses and measured my breath intake to stop at the same point every time, I think. I had quite a large area in the field, from underarm nodes right across to my sternum as I’d had a deposit there. It was ok though, just made my mouth very dry, so I took a bottle of water into the changing room so I could have some as soon as I possible. 

I didn’t find my arms aches any more than usual, but I was taking regular paracetamol anyway so that might have been the reason! 

Nice to see the sunshine today, but feeling tired this evening. Hope you had a good day. Xx

Hi Andi- it was fine and you get into the groove of breath holding and short breaths etc and as long as appointments are on time, I think its quite a quick treatment, and all staff are so lovely at the department…I'm feeling tired now it's done…probably the relief…just need to get my head around the last 9months now!!..this blog has helped me cope enormously and it's so great to be able to ask questions rant a bit and be supported!
xx

many thanks….I'm a bit shell shocked it's actually over, but have taken a few weeks off to relax as feeling quite tired now it's over!

Thank you Butterfly x I shall enjoy Monday and not having to go to the hospital!

No, I'm not using a device for the breath holding, I wasn't offered one, were you? I've had images taken every day so far and I think they're going to take them again when I go on Tuesday. Finding my arms ache, but it's improved a bit now I take paracetamol beforehand.

Hope you enjoy the long weekend xx

Well done Andi and thank you for your good wishes xx

Thank You Helena, Nat &Butterfly

A day of mixed emotions, smiles and tears but overall relieved.
A nice quiet evening tonight, then away next week for a couple of days relaxing and walking.

Enjoy the sunshine this weekend Ladies.

Good wishes to everyone continuing rads and going through treatment. I am just so grateful to have found this forum.

Love to all xx

Well done Nat and Andi, what a lovely feeling. 

Jencat, I too had the breath holding - are you using a device or doing it yourself? The first 4 sessions I had imaging done and it does make the session longer, but once they are happy with your position they’ll only do it once a week I think so hang in there! Enjoy the rest over the long weekend and take care in the sunshine. 

I’m 8 days post rads, and my skin is still holding up. Just using aloe Vera straight from the fridge twice a day, it does make me smile when I use it as it feels cold on some bits but feel nothing on others! Can’t say the fatigue has been noticeable, maybe it’s because I had 8 rounds of chemo and in comparison this was a doddle? Am enjoying getting back to feeling my new normal! 

Have a a good weekend ladies and take care in the sunshine. Xx