Community Champion

Re: Advice for ghastly radiation burns please?

The rad nurses are very kind, but I felt not as knowledgeable. You need to see someone higher up the food chain, so to speak. Dont know if this would help but are you taking on enough fluid? You need to be drinking at least 2 litres a day.

Sending a very gentle hug x

Thanks Sue

I'm going in tomorrow for my 20th session and I will ask to see the team leader of rad consultant. I have been telling the rad nurses every day this week and I feel they don't understand the pain as keep saying there is nothing they can do other than advise me to keep it dry, take pain killers and a dressing. They gave me a small dressing which has run out now.
Community Champion

Hi zamir

I'm so sorry you're having a bad time with rads. I would ask to see the team leader or the consultant of radiotherapy. I didn't suffer in the same way so I don't know if the barrier cream would suit you especially as you are being advised to keep it dry.

The rads will continue to work for 2 weeks after you finish and then it will start to ease off.

Hope you find some relief xx

Omg I'm so glad I have found this discussion. I am in so much pain from rad burns and been feeling so alone. Friday was my 19th session, my neck, underarm and breast area is all burnt, gone really dark and is peeling. I am unable to sleep with the pain, any little movement is painful. The stitches area is the worst, it's weeping. I am also getting nerve pain / electric shocks kind of pain.

The rad nurses just told me to keep it dry, not apply any creams and just take pain killers. I went to badgers clinic yesterday but all they did was give me stronger painkillers and some dressing. The sticky tape with dressing just pulls skin off. I tried aloe Vera jelly but it just dries up and sticks. Nothing is helping, the pain is too much. I'm dreading how long this will go on for.

The new skin under the peeling areas is very red, sore and sticky.
Community Champion

Hi meri

Its the barrier cream. Really soothing. Hope it works xx

Thanks Sue Smiley Happy

I went to boots and got three different burn creams, one cooling, one antiseptic and one mild steroid.

But bit wary as skin so sore so testing on inner arm first.

I found the medihoney on Amazon, is it gel or cream you used? or barrier cream?

Community Champion

Hi meri

I was given a barrier cream called Medihoney by the radiotherapy nurses and it was brilliant. Sadly only have one small sachet left, but can pop in post if interested. Xx

I finish rads today and also have awlful burns.

My nipple is red raw and oozing

Skin under breast about to break.

The stick on dressing caused allergic reaction so just have pink foam padded things that don't stick so strugling to keep in place, ok when bra on.

I have hardly slept last few days as so sore and breast painful inside.

I have not been given any burn cream, I will ask about that today.

I hosnestly just crying inside as though radiologist lovely they don't see whole picture and our journeys to this stage. I am worn out yet been told skin and breast will get worse over next two weeks Smiley Sad

I am reading all this thread for ideas thank you Smiley Happy

Community Champion

Sandy I went to GP with mine ,got antibiotics and special dressings ,they were more helpful than the Rads team.Jill.
Community Champion

sandy

give your breast care nurse a call and ask her to check with the oncologist if Polymem dressings will help you,  I was given them at my hospital as my skin was breaking down a little, it is a dressing that you dampen and then place on the skin and there is something in it which apparently helps with the radiation burns.

You could also go to your GP and get them to check it out, as you can get it prescribed from your doctor but they may have to order it in, do you have a medical exemption certificate, if so then you will not have to pay for prescriptions for the length of time you are on cancer treatment.

Helena xx

Hello Everyone,  I too have the most horrid rad burns and when I said to the radiologist was told "that was normal, and that the radiologist would decide if they needed treatment".  Thanks but it is my body and I know when I am suffering.  Got no help at all even at the end of the sessios.  Am pretty disgusted with the way I was treated and ignored. Went away and suffered for a complete week and was in such pain that I went to A & E who told me they could not treat me because they hadn't been trained in these sort of burns.  The nurse very kindly went to the oncology on-duty doctor and asked what could be done and was given a name of the duty oncologist the next day and told me to come back and see the duty doctor the following day at a given time.  I did this but no one knew anything about this and saw the MacMillan nurse who called the on duty oncologist to see me because it was so bad.  I was then examined and given some cream which made it worse!  Three days later I stopped using the cream and emailed the Mac nurse to tell her. Never heard from her or got any advice.  So phoned the following day and was told she wasn't at her desk but would phone me back.  She did phone back at the end of the day so couldn't do anything and was off the next day but phoned the day after.  When the Mac nurse phoned back she said that the swab she took had come back and I had a fungli infection as well as the burns and if I came in they would give me a cream to deal withn this.  I went in and was given Canesten which I could have bought at my local phamasist.  No treatment for the burns though. So fed up with this treament I will never go back to that hospital ever again and am not even sure if the Canesten is the right treatment.  Help! 

[ Edited ]

Hi Snail888,

I had bad burns from radio. Around the time I finished radio a nurse at the radio centre gave me a cream called Flamazine. It worked really well, took a few weeks to heal.

Wishing you well with your recovery,

Seabreeze (now 3 years on)

Community Champion

It's July last year .I ended up with an infection in skin that broke down quite badly under my boob.GP was very helpful and also sent me to see the practice nurse to get the most appropriate dressings which were Melonin dressings shiny side down .Was told to put nothing on the skin at all once it had broken down just the dressings .

Debbiey's post is/was July 30th? I don't understand these dates?!

My armpit skin is almost black and so so sore. The rads team gave me a single poly mem dressing which while it helps stop the rubbing the products on it seem to make the skin worse. My rads team told me to see go if there is a problem now I've finished.
So I've resorted to nappy creams such as bepanthen and calendula. They seem ok but I'm wondering if a trip to the go woild be a good idea ?

That's a joke.  They left me in pain to the point I said that if they didn't give me something

for the pain and peeling, we weren't going to be doing any more radiation.

This is the problem with getting treatments of any kind that cause pain, burns, etc.

The medical teams just think you are supposed grin and bear it.

I am still getting skin breakdown 7 years on - anyone else with problem?  Apart from Flamazine (a burn cream which eases but not cures) GP is running out of ideas.  Can anyone else help?

That is; place the rolled up dressing over the mepilex to help seperate the best from the skin under it before placing a sling on. Someone will need to help with all this though.

Keep the sores covered with Mepilex dressings at all times, just cleaning it nightly wuth sterile gauze and warm water; no washes or soaps. Dab the wounds-dont wipe. Once a clean dressing is on, roll up a sheet of 20cm by 20cm Zetuvit absorbant dressing pad and then try popping a normal arm sling onto your breast and tying off round the back of the neck, but place the material that's on the outer side of the affected breast under the armpit before tying off at the back of the neck. It's the longer edge which goes along under the Breast. The material left flapping over the Breast can be easily twisted by its point into the material across the front of the chest, secured with string tied tightly to stop it slipping. It's helped my mum.

Hi, I to have a rads burn under my breast. I have had 3 types of cream from the hospital and doctor which didn't work. So i started using Propolis gel last week 2-3 times a day afer washing with Simple shower gel. My wound is now a quarter of the size and healing nicely. Hope this helps. Janet x