Reply to this thread

Re: Second opinion after breast clinic visit

Hi xfinnp

Thanks for posting.

It’s understandable that you are feeling anxious, particularly as your mum is also waiting for results and her previous breast cancer diagnosis.

Breast pain is very common in women, and can cause a lot of anxiety.  Breast pain can have several causes, and on its own is not usually a sign of breast cancer.  Having a breast examination, breast imaging and tissue sampling is known as triple assessment.  Not everyone attending a breast clinic will need to have a triple assessment, it depends on your symptoms, age or findings from other assessments.  If you feel that the examination was not adequate, you may find it helpful to talk to your GP about seeking a second opinion.

If you’re concerned that your family history might mean that you have an increased risk of developing breast cancer, you could talk to your GP again, who may refer you to a family history clinic.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Second opinion after breast clinic visit

Hi,
I’m experiencing breast pain for the last three months, it hurts without any connection to my cycle so I went to see a GP who did examinations and based on my family history suggested urgent referral to a breast clinic.
The consultant hardly touched me and said I have nothing to worry about, I have zero confidence in how she dealt with it, she completely avoided the painful areas and the whole examination was very brief.
I am not one to panic, an still young (30) BUT my mum had breast cancer 13 years ago and now is waiting for biopsy results for a suspected return.
First time her cancer was discovered by scanning and not by examination so I feel a bit uneasy about the way I was dismissed.
At the end of the appointment the consultant said if my mum cancer has in fact returned I should mention it to the GP who might refer me again for further tests.
Am I being unreasonable by feeling a bit let down? I don’t believe in misusing the nhs and am happy to pay for any scans but after seeing the consultant I feel like I’m making it up
Should I insist on a second option in a different hospital?