cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal or not? Petrified

1 REPLY 1

Re: Normal or not? Petrified

Hi cheryl224

Thanks for posting. It does sound as if these breast changes are causing you lots of worry.

At Breast Cancer Care, we encourage everyone to be breast aware. Being breast aware means getting to know what your breasts look and feel like normally (for you). This will then give you the confidence to notice and report any changes to your GP. It’s good to see you have seen you GP already.

Some women have naturally lumpy breasts and the oral contraceptive pill can cause different breast symptoms. Many women worry that a symptom they have in their breast is due to breast cancer. Most changes are normal, hormonal or because of a benign (not cancer) condition but it’s important to be sure.

It might help to know that most women diagnosed with breast cancer are over the age of 50. Also inflammatory breast cancer is a rare type.

I understand you are going to try and get a follow up appointment with your GP tomorrow. Do let your GP know all your concerns. Also we know that googling symptoms often causes anxiety so do try and avoid this while you wait be seen.

You may be interested in our booklet Know your breasts: a guide to breast awareness and screening.

Often talking worries through can help so do feel free to call our free, confidential Helpline. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Please be aware that we will be closed on Monday 26 August due to the bank holiday.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Normal or not? Petrified

Hi guys 

this is my first ever post on anything like this but I’m so scared right now I can’t stop thinking about this. 

A month ago I went to GP for Breast check as I had a bit of discomfort in my armpit and a small lump. Had a full boob check. Turned out the ‘lump’ was an infected boil and nothing to worry about. She did feel my right bust a lot and said it was different to the other side, however didn’t feel it was anything to worry about and to come back in a few weeks to check again. 

A week after this appointment, this particular Breast became really tender. Lying on it/ leaning on it (I’m an F cup so quite large) really hurt. Not like agonising, but very very tender. It was off and on. This last week, my left bust is also quite tender, but not as much as the right one. I’ve stopped wearing my bra as this seems to aggravate it more. I should add, they’re not sore just sat here not touching them- but if I apply any pressure, they do. 

Ive no nipple discharge/ no puckering/ skin changes as far as I can tell. They’re veiny and I’m really pale so mottling is widespread anyway. However they’re heavier than usual. Lumps and bumps everywhere and always have had- but now I’m feeling them constantly I’m convincing myself there are new ones. I’m 34, on the contraceptive pill, and no family history. 

As as soon as I google anything it instantly refers me to cancer pages (inflammatory breast cancers). I’m going to try and get my follow up appointment on Tuesday but I guess I’m seeking some reassurance as I literally feel sick and can’t eveb think straight. 

Thanks guys x