Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How your GP checks your breasts

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How your GP checks your breasts

Hi Tania 1

Thanks for posting.

Many women have lumpy breasts but it’s always best to get any new lumps checked by the GP as you’ve done. 

There’s no set way of checking breasts and usually doctors have a preference for the way in which they do this.  What is important is that they check all of your breast, your armpits and up to your collarbone.

You can read more about this in our booklet Know your breasts: a guide to breast awareness and screening.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes

Eve

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Re: How your GP checks your breasts

Hi Tania 1 Thanks for posting. Many women have lumpy breasts but it’s always best to get any new lumps checked by the GP as you’ve done. There’s no set way of checking breasts and usually doctors have a preference for the way in which they do this. What is important is that they check all of your breast, your armpits and up to your collarbone. You can read more about this in our booklet Know your breasts: a guide to breast awareness and screening. Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. Best wishes Eve Breast Cancer Care Nurse Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

How your GP checks your breasts

Hi everyone 

I do suffer with lumpy breasts so probably have a GP check every 5/6 months, I went yesterday for a lump at the top of my breasts and my GP only performed the exam with me sitting up, she checked both and all of my breasts quite througherly but I thought she should have asked me to lie down too? The lump in question was better felt sitting anyway so I'm not worried but just for future reference, thank you