Thanks for posting.
It sounds as though you have been left with some uncertainty after your visit to the breast clinic so it’s understandable that you are wondering what to do about this.
It’s not clear from your post if you have a follow up appointment in the coming weeks. If you have a then do tell them that it has been a very worrying time for you, and as suggested by mini mad ask about the possibility of a biopsy to have a definite diagnosis. If you have been discharged then perhaps have a discussion with your GP about this. The doctor at the breast clinic will have written to your GP so there may be a clearer explanation in this letter as to why they decided not to biopsy this area. If not you could ask about being referred back to the breast clinic or another breast clinic to have this checked again so that any uncertainty can be resolved.
Most breast changes particularly for women in your age group are due to normal changes or a benign (not cancer) breast condition such as the cysts that were identified on your ultrasound. It is possible for cyst fluid to become thickened and to look more solid than fluid like and when this situation happens, a biopsy is sometimes suggested to be certain.
Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.
Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.
Please be aware that we will be closed on Saturday 18 May for training purposes.
Breast Cancer Care Nurse
Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.
all i can say is if this was me i would express my concern and ask for a biopsy to be performed.
good luck... be persistent ...
I went to the hospital today after finding a lump. I had a US scan and was told I had several cysts. However there was an area they were unsure about. They thought it may be a old cyst that had solidified, but couldn't be sure. They decided not to asperate or biopsy.
Im 34 with 0 children and so wasn't expecting they would find anything. However I'm slightly worried they chose not to biopsy even though there was some uncertainty. Was this the correct course of action? Should I insist on a biopsy?
Any advice would be welcome.