Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will I know if it's come back?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How will I know if it's come back?

Hi DJD

Thank you for posting.

Nearly everyone who has been treated for cancer worries about it coming back. As you’ve recognized here on the forums, you are not alone in being anxious from time to time about this.

It’s not possible for us to say for certain why you are experiencing the pain in your leg.  As Nellie says, often aches and pains are related to your ongoing treatment.  It is important to get anything new and persistent checked out though, so do contact your breast care nurse to let her know. You won’t be making a fuss and by being checked out you can be investigated further if necessary, or reassured.

Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues. You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving forward services. This includes our resources pack and Moving Forward course.

We also have an app called BECCA (Breast Cancer Care’s app).  You can get simple and relevant suggestions each day to help you adapt to life after breast cancer treatment. It includes tips about diet, lifestyle, hobbies and wellbeing. You can register to use the app through the link or download it from Google Play or the iTunes App Store.

You may also be interested in an article called After the treatment has finished - Then what?  Written by Dr Peter Harvey a Consultant Clinical Psychologist, it describes how people can feel after treatment has finished. Although the article is many years old and not specific to breast cancer the emotional issues discussed remain relevant.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: How will I know if it's come back?

Hi, I know how you feel. I try not to dwell on having had breast cancer. Like you I had surgery and radiotherapy a year ago and although I think I'm ok, I sometimes get "what if" moments. Like you I had aches and pains and thought the worst. So recently I told the onchologist about my concerns and had a whole body bone scan. As soon as I agreed to have it I worried about the results. Then finally getting the results freaked me out as I was sure they would find something. But luckily all was good. The pain is down to the Letrozole! So I now tell myself NO STOP over thinking it. I hope you will find it's all ok and only the meds doing their bit. Take care x

DJD

How will I know if it's come back?

I had a right side mastectomy and fifteen sessions of radiotherapy over a year ago. I'm currently taking Anastrazole, and expect to do so for 5 years. I'm fully recovered and having had bc no longer occupies my every waking thought.  However,  Know from this site, that it is normal to harbour some anxieties.  Occasionally, I think it's only a matter of time before it comes back.  Know this is irrational.  For a couple of weeks I've had discomfort in my upper right leg.  More of a dull ache than a pain.  It's especially noticeable when I'm in bed.  I haven't done anything out of the ordinary and have no trouble doing my usual activities (swimming, work part time, looking after grandchildren etc).  Really don't want to make a fuss or be a bother unless there's a reason to be concerned.  What do you think...