Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling confused and lost

1 REPLY 1

Re: Feeling confused and lost

Hi Teresa

Thanks for posting.

It’s unsurprising that you feel scared and confused about the meaning of the recurrence of your breast cancer and how you will be monitored in future.

As everyone’s situation is different it’s not possible for us to say what’s best for you. However, you could ask your oncologist to discuss the scans and management plan again and explain your personal situation in more detail. You could ask if regular scans are an option for you.

Some of the terminology, such as ‘remission’ and ‘all clear’, are used in the media to define if treatment has been successful. This can be unhelpful, as some cancers may return, despite treatment.

If you have a breast care nurse, you may find it useful to talk to her about your feelings. Your GP may be able to discuss referring you for some counselling to offer strategies to help you cope with your anxiety. NHS Choices provide some information called Moodzone which might also help.

At Breast Cancer Care, we offer a variety of services, which offer support.

You’re also welcome to call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through more or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

We are currently reviewing our Forum service and wonder if you would have five to 10 minutes to complete a short survey. The survey will help us gather information about this service and understand more about any improvements we can make.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Feeling confused and lost

Hi

On Monday I was given fantastic news that my post chemo 6 monthly CT shows I am now No Evidence of Disease. I am happy ut equally scared & confused.  Why won't I now get regular scans ?  As for labels am I in remission (that's what I've told people) or do I get classified as "living with mets"? 

My story is below - sorry it's long but might help you to understand why I not jumping 

for joy. Those around me don't understand.

In Dec 17 I found out my BC was back again - a 2nd recurrence in my reconstruction.  Then in Jan I was told I had SBC in right lung and chest lymph node. Throughout chemo etc I was advised I'd get regular scans during and after treatment. CT after chemo showed it had been successful on chest and lung but not so boob. The latter has since been sorted by two WLE in Nov  & Dec 18.

Regrettable other than my 1st Onc appointment no one really discussed SBC until I raised it after chemo ended. They then turned round & said it was "likely I had SBC" ie inferring it was not conclusive. As you can imagine this messed with my head.   Hence my opening paragraph.

I'm terrified it will come back again with no symptoms like before. 

Teresa