cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing own hair, holding drier/curlers

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Washing own hair, holding drier/curlers

Hi Chezweedon

Thanks for posting. It’s good to hear you’re recovering well.

If you’re able to lift your arm during your exercises, you could try to use your hairdryer using gentle movements.

If you’re unsure, you could contact your breast care nurse (if you have one) or your GP to check your wounds are healing normally.

You’re also welcome to look at the variety of services Breast Cancer Care provide, to offer support for you now, or in the future.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Please note our Helpline will be closed on Saturday 17 November for training purposes. 

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Travel hairdryer is a great tip I’m going to hunt mine out and get it ready . Been dreading my hubby blow drying my hair !

melanie xx

When I was in hospital the physiotherapists said not to raise my arms above my shoulders for 4 days.

Just be careful and don’t try to do it all at once. I used my travel hairdryer at first as it is lighter.

xx

Highlighted

Thank you, feel ok to do it but don't want to risk causing any problems. I'll take my time and try it.

xx

I managed to wash my hair 4 days after but got my sister in law to dry and straighten it.

I was able to dry and straighten my hair after about a week.

Give it a go, perhaps in stages like I did.

xx

Washing own hair, holding drier/curlers

Hi I'm one week in from a mastectomy and generally feel well. When is it ok to hold a hairdrier and style my own hair. At the minute hubby is resident hairdresser and my hair is lovely and clean but I look like a scarecrow?

TIA