Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seroma, do I need to act

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Seroma, do I need to act

Hi chezweedon

Thanks for this latest post.

Seromas are not uncommon after breast surgery. Sometimes they will require draining if they increase in size, or are uncomfortable. If the seroma restricts your arm movement and prevents you doing your arm exercises, speak to your breast care nurse or surgeon for advice. If your symptoms worsen over the weekend, or you feel unwell, you may need to go to the accident and emergency department so that they can assess you properly.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Please note our Helpline will be closed on Saturday 17 November for training purposes. 

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: Seroma, do I need to act

I had mastectomy 19 October and have needed it drained several times. I don't know what your next step of treatment is but in my area they don't advise chemo until it's only draining 50ml. I've had from 300ml to 100ml so far so chemo delayed. Find out implications for your treatment in your area. I knew it would delay it in advance but it would have been a real downer had I not known and expecting chemo soon.

Seroma, do I need to act

I have a small lump under my arm which I've been told are my 'dog ears' with a small area around it that I presume is seroma. This seems to be spreading under the arm and around my back. It isn't painful or causing any problems, will it be absorbed by the body naturally or should I be off to the seroma clinic. Don't really want it draining if I don't need to.

TIA