Reply to this thread

Re: Difference in breasts after double MX and recon?

Hi hilsb

Thanks for posting. 

Following breast reconstruction it can take quite some time for any swelling to settle down completely. Having a double mastectomy often means that the reconstructed breasts heal at different rates and can take some time until they look similar in size.

Although you had drains in the first few weeks following the operation, it’s quite common for a collection of fluid (seroma) to continue to build up in the area causing swelling, tightness and discomfort. You can read more about this in our publication Breast Reconstruction.  As you don’t have an appointment with the consultant just yet, it would be a good idea to contact him/her via the breast care nurse or secretary to let them know you are experiencing swelling and soreness and for further advice.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000. We’re here Monday to Saturday from 9am. On Wednesdays we’re open until 7pm, other weekdays it’s 5pm and on Saturdays it’s 1pm.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer.  This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: Difference in breasts after double MX and recon?

Hi

Thank you for posting a question in our Ask Our Nurses space on our forum.

We hope to be able to reply to you tomorrow. 

If you need a quicker response, do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through. The number is 0808 800 6000. We’re here Monday to Saturday from 9am. On Wednesdays we’re open until 7pm, other weekdays it’s 5pm and on Saturdays it’s 1pm.

Best wishes

Rhiannon

Ask Our Nurses Assistant

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  

Difference in breasts after double MX and recon?

Hi 

I'm 8 weeks post op, double MX with immediate Braxon reconstruction. I had the pleasure of 2 drains for 4 weeks. My right breast contracted about 2 weeks ago - getting closer to the expected size, but my left breast is still swollen and very tight, uncomfortable and sore.

Should I just wait - massaging Bio-oil regularly, still doing exercises - wonder if its because I am right hand dominant and using it more, don't have another appointment date to see the consulant - yet. Should I make one or just wait a while longer?

its seems odd that they are both behaving so differently.

thanks

Hilary